migrators this weekend?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

migrators this weekend?

Postby harvey1b » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Has the migration started? It ended for quite a few geese this weekend, but it seemed like there were a lot of geese flying really high this morning. It looked like they were migrating. Anyone else see signs of the migration this weekend?
harvey1b
hunter

I think so

Postby cobber » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:10 am

I think it started, I saw a snow goose this morning which is usually a positive clue.
cobber
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 pm

There's definitely some new birds coming through. We've been seeing some high flyers and a lot more movement in the last week or so. A couple of my buddies shot a pile of cacklers yesterday. That's the first we've seen them here (or realized it).
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:47 am

Harvey: Was that a cackler that you shot on Sunday?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Mchristie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:42 am

We saw two flocks of 50+ birds in perfect "V" patterns, flying high and heading South. We assumed they were migrating. I just moved to New York so I'm not sure if this is the usual time for this or not.
Mchristie
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:02 am

yeah, it was Whistler. It was the first one I have ever shot. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

cacklers? Very Nice

Postby cobber » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:54 am

We shot a lessor or 2 last year but definitely not a cackler. I would sure like to see that - nice going guys.

I haven't seen any real flocks moving around, but it appears that there are a few more goose in the area.

Is anyone seeing numbers of ducks? I checked a local swamp yesterday expecting to see something but was a bit dissappointed.
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 am

If I have it correct, a lesser is a form of Cackler

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBi ... ml#similar

I'm pretty sure that goose I shot Sunday was a cackler. It wasn't much bigger than a mallard, just had a longer neck.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:07 am

Yeah, not much bigger than a mallard, with a brownish gray breast. They just include them in your limit of Canada's. They said they were the dumbest birds they've ever seen. They came in, shot a few, circled around, shot a few more, circle again, cupped up to come in, shot a few more...I don't know, it sounds like they probably haven't had a whole lot of "human contact".

We've been seeing a ton of birds in our marsh here. Heavy on woodies, but some teal and mallards too.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby cobber » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 am

what we shot last year didn't have the triangular bill, which I associate with a pure cackler. However, they were very small compared to the other birds we shot -- maybe a bit bigger than a mallard.

Nice to here there are some birds around. I've seen plenty of woodies, no teal and only a few mallards. Hoepfully a good north wind will blow for a few days really soon and we will so some more. I could also use more rain to flood one of my fields.
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:37 am

last night should have helped. we need a few more days like that.

As far as seeing ducks, man, they are everywhere over here. I can't even tell you (mostly b/c I ran out of fingers and toes) how many woodies, mallards, even a few gadwals flew right over my goose spread Sunday. If ducks had been open I would have been doing some shooting.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 am

cant wait until we need to id our geese on the wing like they are starting out west...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... 081707.pdf
WillametteLColGooseGuide_081707.pdf (application/pdf Object)

http://www.sibleyguides.com/canada_cackling.htm
Identification of Canada and Cackling Geese

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... esting.asp
Online Goose Permit Testing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Goose permit testing, I cant wait... :welcome:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:12 pm

I can say that at least here the Canadas have started.

This morning I walked outside at 7:30 and saw a flock of about 30-40 Canadas come over my house. The sound is what makes me say Canadas because they were way high up and I could only see silhouettes.

I stepped out the door and heard something, looked up and saw nothing, then they popped out from over my roof line and I could see that they were high.

Albany geese walk or take cabs, these are migrators.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:45 pm

[quote="DiscoDuck"]Yeah, not much bigger than a mallard, with a brownish gray breast. They just include them in your limit of Canada's. They said they were the dumbest birds they've ever seen. They came in, shot a few, circled around, shot a few more, circle again, cupped up to come in, shot a few more...I don't know, it sounds like they probably haven't had a whole lot of "human contact".

Hey Disco, from what it sounds like your buddies gave them all the human contact they could stand. :rofl:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby harvey1b » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:18 pm

DiscoDuck wrote:Yeah, not much bigger than a mallard, with a brownish gray breast. They just include them in your limit of Canada's. They said they were the dumbest birds they've ever seen. They came in, shot a few, circled around, shot a few more, circle again, cupped up to come in, shot a few more...I don't know, it sounds like they probably haven't had a whole lot of "human contact".

We've been seeing a ton of birds in our marsh here. Heavy on woodies, but some teal and mallards too.

Sounds like those were DORK GEESE :crazy: It is a rare strain of mentally challenged canada geese.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 pm

I saw a lot of geese moving today.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 am

:thumbsup:

There was a wave of at least 500, maybe 1,000 geese that flew over Skaneteales Lake Saturday later afternoon. :eek:

Now we just have to wait for regular season :thumbsdown:
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting