trying to find property

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

trying to find property

Postby tgilberti29 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey i think i got a really interesting question that i need some help on. im trying to find some hunting area around me in the hudson valley and its loaddddddddddded with CORN. geese are all around because its only a mile off of the hudson river. But im not sure how to get ahold of the farmers. So i guess my question is A. If i get a hold of the farmers what should be my angle of attack and B. Do i need to offer any sort of monetary donation if hes not really willing to let me hunt. what do u guys think id appreciate ur INPUT.

Rack'm n Stack'm
tgilberti29
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Well here’s what works for me. I start at the close’s farm to the field or camp along the shoreline I would like to hunt. I go up stretch out my hand and introduce myself and I tell him where I live. I personally don’t beat around the bush, farmers and camp owners have a lot to do and you are stepping into their life. So I make it short and sweet and get to the point of why I’m there. I let them know I’m not going to trash their property and how many will be hunting with me, and what kind of truck I’ll be driving.

As far as paying to hunt, I never have and I don’t ever see me doing it in my future. We as blue color hunters aren’t rich and if more people start doing that, it could screw it up for the rest of us. Besides it cost enough to hunt we don’t need to add to it. I hope this helps good luck.
:thumbsup:

OH BTW :welcome: to DHC glad your with us, you'll like here
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Jpensyl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 pm

The minute you pay a farmer to hunt on his land you make him liable for your well being. Be polite and straight forward and hopefully things will work out for the best.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 pm

I never offer money to hunt, nor will I pay if the land owner offers to lease it to me. That's what has ruined hunting in parts of the south and the western states. Also, if you pay this year, someone may show up next year and offer to pay more. Happens all the time. We lost a great spot around here to a group that leases the property now. And once the landowner starts getting paid not only will they not allow anyone to hunt it for free ever again, but their neighbors will do the same. Best bet is to do what 870 said and keep it short, sweet, and polite. If birds are using it all the time, and you don't get permission, try to figure out the routes the birds are flying, and get permission along them. Alot of times you can pull in birds with your decoys alone, even if you're not exactly where they want to be.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:27 pm

:dito: :dito: If you start paying for the hunting rights, everybody will lose in the end. It doesn't have to come to that. When you stop for the first time, make it a "discovery" trip. Find out what makes him, them, she tick. Maybe a round of golf, or a couple back straps, or wine, or whatever. Then you can accomodate. Make no secret about why your there though. They'll appreciate the honesty.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 am

Ditto. However it would be good to get an opinion from someone else in the Hudson Valley because that's like another world when compared to Central/Western/Northern NY.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Good piont WW!!! Hey if they do let you hunt their land, get them a ham for Christmas at least a card. What I do with the land owners along the lake is, I keep an eye on their camp. After the ice storm we had in 98 I went around and checked on them and gave them a call to let them know how their camp faired. One told me to go up there and cut all the fallen trees up for free firewood. (always thinking) :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:58 pm

If they don't seem like yahoos, you can offer to take the landowners on a hunt.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby webft2 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:30 am

I agree with all the feedback....One more thing that i have offered is part of the harvest... ie " I would be happy to give you part of what I harvest... 1 goose /couple of ducks cleaned"....
Most of the time they laugh and say NO THANKS.
Landowners/ farmers understand harvest and living off the land... just another suggestion. :thumbsup:
1754 Excel MudBuddy Special Edition w/ 35 hp Hyperdrive Sport
" just chuckin mud"
"the relentless pursuit of the wild mallard"
webft2
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting