Testing of ethics

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Testing of ethics

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:54 pm

Talk about self-control, here we were yesterday just before it was time to go home. Dave and I were close to finishing are opening day. We only needed a couple birds, when what do we have come belly up in our decoys, but 6 mind you, 6 Canada’s not a goose call, goose decoys or flag in sight and they come in like they own the place. They land belly up not 20 yards out, they split my duck decoys and landed in our kill zone. I looked to my son and said can you believe this????? Talk about a moment of testing of ethics.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 pm

:violin:

Good for you not shooting them. At least it was a good show!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 pm

I had a turkey fly over our blind. I would not have been ethical, I would have shot it, but I didn't see it until it was too far.

I have a turkey permit and the season is open. Anyone know if that would have been a problem with the law? I used to hunt turkeys alot and I know the rules well. I was in season, have the tags, could have taken either sex and had the right ammo (although they don't say anything about lead vs steel).

As far as I can tell I met every requirement. We had a hen making a ruckus on one side of the water. I really thought it was a hunter, but no turkey hunter should be there. After about 45 minutes of this calling I hear another turkey, but on the other side of the water. Few yelps and about 15 minutes later I hear one of them take off. I get a look and it's halfway across the water, about a 80 yard flight.

Who says you can't decoy turkeys with some mallard deeks.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting