LI Zone 2014-15 Season Dates

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

LI Zone 2014-15 Season Dates

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Ok, it's that time of year again. The season setting task force is going to be meeting soon, and like always they'll be looking for input. Assuming that the Federal Regulations remain the same as always (season must end the by the last Sunday in January and will be 60days long, etc.) What would you like to see in the way of a season structure for the Long Island Zone.

I realize that it's difficult to keep everyone happy and that a consensus must be reached. But, in the past there have been some complaints/issues that people weren't afforded the chance to voice their opinion. This is our season and we all have opinions, so let's hear them and see if we can get them to the task force.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: LI Zone 2014-15 Season Dates

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:22 pm

More days in the first split, a Loooooonger split like two weeks or so. And a teal season! Lol
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 am

sssurfertim wrote:More days in the first split, a Loooooonger split like two weeks or so. And a teal season! Lol

Yup...just like above AND a longer late season for geese....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

There seems to be some confusion about what can and can't be done by the season setters. HERE IS A LINK TO THE ANTICIPATED SEASON SETTING GUIDELINES FOR THE 2013-2014 SEASON. I would assume that the guidelines for the 2014-2015 season will be very similar.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Hey Frank do you have a link so I could get ahold of the task force to see if their making any changes for our zone up here. Thanks.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi 870,

If you scroll down on this Page you'll find the task force members for your zone. One of them will be the DEC ,ember chairing the group. All have phone numbers where they can be reached, and most have email addresses. There's also a web page on the DEC site that allows you to input your opinions.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Thanks so much Frank :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 am

Slack Tide wrote:
sssurfertim wrote:More days in the first split, a Loooooonger split like two weeks or so. And a teal season! Lol

Yup...just like above AND a longer late season for geese....

Both of these.
KRB
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 am

And Mute swans. Could have killed a pile of them last 5 years.
KRB
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:11 am

KRB wrote:And Mute swans. Could have killed a pile of them last 5 years.

That is a whole separate issue. The latest news is that it's become a political football with several state senators and assemblymen involved and the DEC has backed off its study. The interference by the bunny huggers is very obvious.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:14 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
KRB wrote:And Mute swans. Could have killed a pile of them last 5 years.

That is a whole separate issue. The latest news is that it's become a political football with several state senators and assemblymen involved and the DEC has backed off its study. The interference by the bunny huggers is very obvious.

Frank

Thank's for the info Frank. Let us know if you hear anything. Been wanting to wack one of those mean bastard's since I was a kid.
KRB
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 am

(emphasis mine)

The idea of a teal season has come up several times in my quest for input for the LI seasons. Until yesterday, I was under the impression that northern, "production" states were precluded from having a teas season. Yesterday, on another forum, someone mentioned a teal season "for the first time since '65" in Michigan. I asked about it and the poster sent me this link to an article that outlines some new developments. Here's the link. I'm not sure that this will amount to anything here in NY, but I do intend to bring the matter up.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 am

If the early teal season would be allowed in trade for subtracting days during from the regular season, then I would not be in favor of it...
You want to throw me a free, early, bonus teal season?......go for it
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Interesting early teal article… thanks for sharing. I'm amazed at the proportion of non-teal shot during the 60's early teal experimental seasons. I can't understand mixing them up with anything else. I think it's 'accidentally on purpose' and, I suppose, could put local blackies at risk.
papageno
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Slack Tide wrote:If the early teal season would be allowed in trade for subtracting days during from the regular season, then I would not be in favor of it...
You want to throw me a free, early, bonus teal season?......go for it

Not 100% sure, but my understanding is that early teal is in addition to the regular season. I could be wrong, though.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Would be in favor of an early teal season either way.
KRB
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting