Heavily Hunted Public Land

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Heavily Hunted Public Land

Postby T-MAN » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:03 am

Seems like alot of people on here hunt public waters. So i thought it might be helpful if people posted up info on do's and dont's of hunting heavily hunted waters.

I typically Do little calling as possible(like the 5 note greeter when i see them, and a call to them when they get off track), and i usually use under a dozen deeks(5-8). Oh yah, and get there early, so bring a thermos, a sanwich, and a good arsenal of stories.

So if you'd like to share any tips about hunting state land, post them up
:thumbsup:
tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Use the dikes to get around and not to hunt from. Get off the dike, climb into the muck and get back in the sh*t. Thats where the ducks land and fly less than 100 yards high you skybusting mother f******... Sorry bout that, rant over...

Seriously though, just stay at home, ducks dont use public land... :yes:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

A few more tips.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:13 pm

- Show up at five minutes before shooting time.
- Set up around 50-75 yds away from someone that's all set up. That way you know it's a good spot.
- Controlling your dog is over-rated, as long as it retrieves ducks, or even decoys whether they be yours or 870's, you don't need a dog that'll listen to you. If you want the dog to listen, just yell louder
- It's perfectly okay to shoot at ducks coming into the guys spread that you just set up next to. He might own those decoys, but he doesn't own the sky above them.
- Steel shot performs equally well whether it be 35 yds, 85 yds, or 125 yds. The further away they are when you shoot them, the less pellets you have to worry about when you don't clean them or eat them.
- It's alright to try to call a spot on a distant point when you show up to the launch. Doesn't matter how many people got there first, or the fact that you have to walk there, and even when you do get there, that you have no way of getting the ducks that you shoot. Also, when someone hears you call the point and laughs at you while they are in their boat letting the motor warm up, it is not only acceptable, but encouraged that you challenge them to a fight right there on the spot. God knows you're going to be too tired to fight them after that long walk.
- The best way to scout is to watch where the guys who did their homework all summer go, then show up there the next day in an unpainted aluminium boat.
- Practicing calling is not necessary. Everyone knows that duck calls sound better right out of the package, so don't go and wear yours out by practicing before the season. If you are hunting as close to the other guys as you should be, let them bring the birds in with their calls, and then when the birds are about 60 yds away from those guys, blow as hard as you can into yours. They should've taken a shot at those birds already. They've been in range for 60 or 70 yds by that time.
- Yes, 3 1/2 inch shells do shoot alot farther.
- If you don't feel like cleaning your birds after you shoot them, just throw them into the weeds at the launch, the kayakers will get used to the smell.
- Orange and purple spray paint are pefectly acceptable colors to camo a boat up with, everyone knows that ducks can't see color anyway.
- If you see a bunch of ducks on the water, and they-re all facing the same way and bobbing in unison, motor up as fast as you can and start shooting, especially if it's a half hour before shooting time. If they don't all fly away, they are decoys and just wave at the guy standing there with the flashlight. You just did him a favor because everyone knows decoys that are sinking are more realistic, ever heard of diver ducks? Since decoys are so cheap, waving is a pefectly acceptable form of payment for those decoys that are slowly dipping below the surface.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:15 pm

:lol2: :rofl: Thanks CLUTCH I think I just wet myself
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:01 pm

soory for trying to help
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Not trying to be cruel, just trying to make light of many frustrating situations we've all been in. Many state land hunters just set there alarm clocks to get them there by shooting time, mine is set to beat the next hardcore waterfowler to that honey hole I know has been getting hit way to hard to not draw attention. My number one advice to anyone new to the waterfowl scene in general is to spend alot of time scouting, even if it means less time hunting. You can stand on a dike and shoot 12 birds all season and shoot hundreds of dollars of steel into the sky. Or you can find one good spot the ducks are using and kill 12 birds in two days with a box of shells. Number 2... Wind direction is key...
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 pm

oh, i thought that that was directed toward me. When i hunt state land i usually set my allarm at 330, and take off at around 4 (right next to my house is the marsh). But on opening day everybody hunted the main creek bay. Me nd my buddy hunted a little hole that fed the main creek weeve benn scouting for 2 weeks prior. The hole is only 10 yards by about 25. All of the birds that were getting shot at up the main part, seekd safety in this queit hole. We ended up with 9 woodies, a widgeon and a bluewing.

tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:16 am

That was very funny Clutch!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:03 am

You and one other guy killed 9 woodies????????
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:21 am

quit while your a head T :oops:

how about them Yankees :rolleyes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 am

sounds good don
T-MAN
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm

:rofl: :lol: OMG CLTUCH that was awesome.

Here's a tip I have, if you are lucky enough to get invited to hunt public land with CLUTCHfan be ready to do more laughing than shooting. He gets into ducks, but the guy is so funny you'll be laughing so hard you won't be able to see the ducks through your tears. :thumbsup:
Last edited by harvey1b on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Here's a real tip, since I can't come up with anything funny to say.

If you beat another group of guys in, give them a flash with your light or yell or call (like a melody, not a real duck sound) or blow a whistle. They just might move.

On opening day we were in there early, close to two hours before legal shooting. We got to the spot we wanted and set up, which took no time at all 2 guys 15 decoys, it was all of 5 minutes. An hour goes by were getting ready in the boat (loading, putting flashlights away, stuff like that) and just talking. 10 minutes to legal shooting and the guy who we had no idea was 75 yards away decides then is a good time to let us know he's there. Completely knocks off half of our shooting angles.

If he flashed us when we were coming in we would have boated past him down stream. Without knowing he was there we set up on top of him. I really really looked to make sure we were not on top of people too, because I hate that (for him and for me) but this guy did nothing to tell us he was there.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Actually, I do have one serious tip. Sometimes we'll have a guy head off 75 to 100 yds in each direction from where we're set up so that if anyone comes by they think it's three different groups of guys in one area. then at about five minute till shooting time they'll run back to the boat so we have a little more room between us and the other guys out there.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:39 pm

I wish some of the boys up here in the Northern zone were smart enough to see when people are set up to move on.

Yesterday while Dave and I were already set up and readjusting our decoys Abbot and Costello roll in and see us working our decoys and set up about 50 yards away. Then it takes them without exaggeration, hour to set their 12 decoys. I loose it, I yell over to them to “sit the **** down”. They set up their robo witch then scare every duck off until its wings fall off. Then they spend a ½ hr kicking the water looking for them. Again I yell over and tell them the same thing as before. So we have a pair of Mallards come in belly up and the boy and I trip them up. So what do the clowns across from us do they run out and pull their robo duck. This time Dave yells over and repeats the same thing.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is, give those who beat you to a spot lots of room and have a plan “B” place in mind incase you do get beat out.
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:38 am

ANOTHER TIP - when you decide it is a good idea to set up right next to other guys, be sure to shoot at least a good 15 minutes before legal shooting time. If the DEC calls you out on it you can just blame the guys next to you, and as an added bonus, you have no idea what you are shooting at since it is so dark out, so if you end up killing something it's kind of like "duck surprise!"
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting