Garden anyone?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Garden anyone?

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 am

Who's getting a garden going this spring?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Garden anyone?

Postby 870 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Yup :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 am

I always do. This year, with my grandson staying with us and his love for snow peas, it's a must! Going to start turning it over this week.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am

I'm looking forward to the having the garden again. I really like the root/tuber/bulb type crops, they aren't fussy and store well. We've done potatoes, onions, beets, turnips, radishes, kohlrabi, and carrots. Will probably try parsnips this year. Also had good results last year with the green beans and cabbages, made some tasty sauerkraut. Then there are the strawberries! :thumbsup:

With the weather we've been having, I probably won't be doing any root tilling for at least a month!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I finally have a yard this year...probably will be starting small with the basics. I would like to grow some fresh herbs too...we move on April 15 so I'm going to have to get to work fast on getting things prepped

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk
altrocker1
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 am

altrocker1 wrote:I finally have a yard this year...probably will be starting small with the basics. I would like to grow some fresh herbs too...we move on April 15 so I'm going to have to get to work fast on getting things prepped

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

Good for you...
starting small is best...it makes it manageable and not so much like work
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby GREGS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:09 am

4 different Tomatos. 4 different peppers, swiss chard and a zuchinni is about all I can find room for without taking over some of the wifes flower beds.
I would till more but I wouldn't be able to get to my wood pile.

We have been using 4 foot flower boxes for herbs, that works OK, but would love to plant some root vegetables.

I have about 1000 other things that need done, but I still can't wait to get started.
GREGS
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

Last year we took a trip to Alaska in June. I told my son and daughter-in-law to have at the garden while we were gone. I had lettuce, broccoli, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and a couple of other things growing. In one night, a deer came in and wiped out the whole thing, save the tomatoes!

This year, with all the snow, I've kept a close watch for deer tracks across the back yard. Surprisingly, there were none. Usually the deer will come out of the surrounding woods to eat the shrubs right next to the houses, especially if there is snow on the ground for prolonged periods.

So, I spent last week turning, liming, turning again, raking, hoeing, planting and fertilizing. Everything was set and in place. All that had to be done is the second row of lettuce, which should go in this week. Then, last evening, while preparing dinner, my daughter looked out the back window and said, "Look at the deer in the back yard!" AS soon as I planted, they showed up!

Either way, I'm going to be eating something this summer. Either veggies or a nice barbecue! :wink:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am

Seriously man...just get a pellet gun and give them a shot in the arse every time.....they'll get the point
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Seriously man...just get a pellet gun and give them a shot in the arse every time.....they'll get the point

Slack, trust me, they're not that intelligent. Whacking them with a pellet gun might work for a couple of days. After that, they'll be right back. Pretty much, once they set up house, you're in for the long haul.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

I would win......
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I would win......

I plan on winning, too. :lol3: I just don't plan on using a pellet gun! :wink:

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting