wood duck fury

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

wood duck fury

Postby harvey1b » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Holy cow there were a lot of woodies out in the SE zone this weekend. Apparently all those wood duck boxes are working :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:56 pm

How did you guys end up doing? I've heard a few reports from a few different people, and it seems like the birds from the northern zone didn't fly too far south before they made themselves comfortable again. Still alot of Teal around from what I've heard also.

The Northern opener pretty much all we saw were woodies. The few Mallards we saw were cruising real high, and we only saw teal before shooting time.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Since you boys are seeing a ton of Woodies I guess the T-man and his buddy haven't made it down your way :rofl:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm going to start calling him "The Wall" :thumbsup:
A group of guys hunting down from us for the opener were dropping woodies like flies as well. We talked with one of them, and he was saying how they got their limit of woodies, and then went back to their blind. Not five minutes later we see some woodies swinging in front of them coming towards us, and we figure they're ours since they got their limit, but those guys T-Man'd the hell out of those birds. :lol:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:10 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:I'm going to start calling him "The Wall" :thumbsup:
A group of guys hunting down from us for the opener were dropping woodies like flies as well. We talked with one of them, and he was saying how they got their limit of woodies, and then went back to their blind. Not five minutes later we see some woodies swinging in front of them coming towards us, and we figure they're ours since they got their limit, but those guys T-Man'd the hell out of those birds. :lol:

:rofl: OMG tell me when you go on the road as a stand up ? Ill make every show at lease put out a CD or DVD :lol: T-man the hell out of those birds TOOOOO FUNNY :rofl:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 am

That is really funny,

Well, it's 4 and I can't sleep. 3 more hours and I need to head off to work. I guess it's duck season.

We did fair for the SE opener. For 5 guys we got 9 woodies and a bunch of other assorted ducks to show the DEC guy on Saturday and 5 woodies on sunday. We weren't dropping the T-Man hammer on 'em, but we did ok.
harvey1b
hunter

did OK

Postby cobber » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:13 am

We saw a mix of Mallards and Woodies on Saturday morning. Had one nice group of 12 mallards come in and a couple woodies come in. We only shot at those two groups. Could have taken a few more shots, but I wanted them close so we didn't loose them.

There was another group in the swamp down from us that did a lot of shooting, but it appeared they couldn't hit them too well. I'm fairly certain they lost quite a few birds. Way too many follow-up shots.
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:57 am

yeah, Saturday morning we had some guys set up next to where we have been hunting for a few years. In total there were 3 groups along this backwater, and from what I could tell everyone did pretty well, but it wasn't as good as last year.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:18 am

Finally back at it. It took me a while to read back through all the posts I've missed! We had a good morning Saturday for the opener. 19 woodies, 6 mallards, and a greenwing teal. We were really heavy on wood ducks though. We could have piled them up like chord wood. It was a great morning though.
We hunted Oneida Lake last Wednesday. There was a lot of mallards but they just didn't fly. They hung out about 100 yards and just sat there. They didn't even seem to leave to go feed. It was odd, escpecially for this early in the season.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:31 am

DiscoDuck wrote:Finally back at it. It took me a while to read back through all the posts I've missed! We had a good morning Saturday for the opener. 19 woodies, 6 mallards, and a greenwing teal. We were really heavy on wood ducks though. We could have piled them up like chord wood. It was a great morning though.

19 woodies :eek: I hope you had 10 hunters
harvey1b
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:13 am

11! :thumbsup: We even had a guy with us from Stuttgart, Arkansas. Haven't hunted with him prior to Saturday, but we've gotten to be good friends through business. He comes from a big ducking family down there. Guess who showed up late? You guessed it, the Arkansas kid. He was introduced to the rest of the guys as "late guy", and I believe his new knickname of "LG" will stick. He knew I wasn't happy. I allow people one slip, after that, I don't wait for the late guy. I suppose he could make up for it with a hunt in Stuttgart though!! :biggrin: :lol:
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:19 am

If you guys need a Caddy for that Stuggart trip let me know. I have dreams about flooded timber.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 am

CLUTCH, you don't need to go to AR to hunt flooded timber. Doug and I can get you into flooded timber. What are you doing Saturday?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:11 pm

i should probably just shut up from now on
T-MAN
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:12 pm

harvey1b wrote:CLUTCH, you don't need to go to AR to hunt flooded timber. Doug and I can get you into flooded timber. What are you doing Saturday?

I don't know if I'm working or not. Also, I'd have to see what the Merganser Commander is up to. I'll let you know a little later this week. I may be doing some work on my motor this weekend too, although I just realized I forgot to order my seal for my motor.

T-MAN wrote:i should probably just shut up from now on

Nah, you know your one of the guys if everyone starts busting your chops. Give it a couple days, and I'm sure the rest of us'll give you a chance to bust back.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote: I just realized I forgot to order my seal for my motor.

. . . . blew a seal eh?!!

harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 pm

harvey1b wrote:
. . . . blew a seal eh?!!

And then the penquin says "No, that's just ice cream."
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby T-MAN » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby meganzer commander » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:53 pm

its odd clutch all your posts are during the afternoon.i could swear that your supose to be working during those hours :wink:
2008/2009 totals
drake merganzers - 0
hen merganzers - 2
red breasted merganzers - 0
hooded merganzers - 0
banded merganzers - 0
#2 shot filled merganzer decoys - 0
canadians - 0
canadians (the birds) - 5
other ducks - 16
meganzer commander
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 pm

In my defense, I make most of them on my break, and the rest of them on my bosses break :biggrin:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:23 pm

I'm glad to see your using your time wisely CLUTCH :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Hey meganzer commander, I get to use a computer during work, but you get Tuesdays, and you know what I mean by that. What happened Monday night? I tried calling, but no answer.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby meganzer commander » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:42 pm

i went to bed like a good little boy and actually made it to work on time.seing my 4 day paycheck really puts me out of the game and a tear in my eye.next week is a whole new ball game :cheers:
2008/2009 totals
drake merganzers - 0
hen merganzers - 2
red breasted merganzers - 0
hooded merganzers - 0
banded merganzers - 0
#2 shot filled merganzer decoys - 0
canadians - 0
canadians (the birds) - 5
other ducks - 16
meganzer commander
hunter