Is it illegal...

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Is it illegal...

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:37 pm

One of these threads again but I just read all the rules and see nothing.

Is it illegal to practice your goose calling when duck hunting and goose is out of season? Like today in the Southern Zone? By practice I mean, they're over head, you have a goose call on your lanyard, you bring them in.

Would this fall under "No live decoys" or would that be a way too broad reading of the rules.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:50 pm

No I don't think so, as long you don't drop the hammer down on them. If it was we could be fined everytime were out. We love to work those long necks every chance we get. :yes:

I do at times think I'm going to be fined just because my calling sucks :oops: :lol:
Last edited by 870 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:52 pm

It's not illegal to practice goose calling while duck hunting, nor is it illegal to let wild birds swim in your decoys while waiting for the ducks. It is, however, illegal to practice your goose shooting while waiting for the ducks. We call at geese while we're out duck hunting all the time in between playing "When the Saints Go Marching In", and "Ana Gotta Davita" on our duck calls. Live decoys, I believe, only pertain to domestic ducks, or ducks that you tie out.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Hey CLUTCH how do you work out that drum solo on a duck call?????
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 pm

870 wrote:Hey CLUTCH how do you work out that drum solo on a duck call?????

Feed call.

Okay, now that I know I'm legal I called in 8 different geese right into our spread this morning.

Yesterday we slaughtered the ducks, 9 guys 42 ducks, everyone limited out on Woodies. Today, not so much, 8 guys 18 ducks still great hunting but nothing compared to yesterday. With all our free time I got bored removed my goose call from my bag and called a lone goose in, all the while people were talking and B.S.ing saying I couldn't do it. He hit the water before someone shouted at it.
Then I broke 3 off a V flock of 12-15, got them 10 feet up right over my friends head who tried to jump up and touch one. 3 more came in and landed, stayed for about 5 minutes before we scared them away.

I just wanted to see if I could pull it off, and I guess I can. It's amazing how big they look when all you've seen all day is ducks.

In keeping with the title of this thread, I actually broke out the Rulebook in the middle of the swamp, actually killed a woodie with it on my lap, bastard came in quick and I had no time to put it down! I read it and read it and read nothing so I started calling the geese.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 pm

We tried using feeder chuckles for the drums, and a single reed for the organ solo, but I started to hyperventilate. For the record, by using a 3 in 1 whistle and a decent single reed duck call, you can play pretty much every disco tune there is.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:17 pm

HEY CLUTCH I've got an idea at Matt's wedding next June. I'm going to keep filling your shot glass untill we get you up there showing how it's done :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:28 pm

870 wrote:HEY CLUTCH I've got an idea at Matt's wedding next June. I'm going to keep filling your shot glass untill we get you up there showing how it's done :thumbsup:

I'm sure Jeanette would love that.......some fat, drunken, friend of her beau's getting beligerent and playing bad music on a duck call, badly. :biggrin: Usually I just embarrass myself at weddings by making inappropriate advances to the Bridesmaids, and accidentally breaking a few bottles or glasses. Oh yeah, and the urinating in public.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:46 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:

. For the record, by using a 3 in 1 whistle and a decent single reed duck call, you can play pretty much every disco tune there is.

Hey thats great CLUTCH that you can play Disco songs :thumbsup:
I might be a little rusty but I bet I can find sombody to do the Latin Hustle with me :yes: :banana: :banana:
Last edited by 870 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Man we better knock it off the State Mod might get mad :offtopic:
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:19 am

870 wrote:Man we better knock it off the State Mod might get mad :offtopic:

Not a chance, that's pretty funny.

We also call geese when it's not goose season, but as CLUTCH says, goose shooting when it's not goose season is illegal, though very tempting sometimes. Saturday we had geese all over us and I'm pretty sure I found a new spot to goose hunt.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 am

Its against the law to harrass game.A dec officer could consider the calling harrassment and give you a ticket
Its kinda the same as shining a light at deer at night.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Jpensyl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 am

wackemstackem wrote:Its against the law to harrass game.A dec officer could consider the calling harrassment and give you a ticket
Its kinda the same as shining a light at deer at night.

Would never happen... I can decoy birds out of season if I feel like it, I can call them in and take pictures hell I can do just about anything I want to the ducks and geese out of season except harm them. I also use a spotlight to scout deer herds for big bucks before bow season. I dont throw rocks at them or shoot them, I shine a light at them. Keep that pita crap out of here. I don't think me calling in a duck with its language is causing it any stress. Hell there just happy they found somewhere to land where they didnt get shot at.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:58 pm

DEC's not going to consider calling them harrasment.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:08 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:DEC's not going to consider calling them harrasment.

From what I have heard some guys doing with their calls this year they might!!!!!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:23 pm

When you guys are talking about Disco music, do you mean stuff for me??? :rofl:
Harassment?? If anything you're educating the birds, but harassment, I don't think so. We've done it, do it, and will continue to do it. I'd like to get in front of the judge who's going to push the issue on calling geese out of season just to watch them. Heck, bird watchers can't even argue that one. They could get locked up every time that they went in the woods with a pair of binoculars and whistled! :lol3:
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:34 pm

wackemstackem wrote:Its against the law to harrass game.

OH YEAH they started it......... What do you call it when they come belly up in your duck decoys even when you don't call them? I call that hunter harrassment. :banger:
State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:16 pm

not a big fan of tree hugers either. I wa sreading that some hippies shot "paint cannons" at a couple groups of hunters when they were pulling their boats after a hunt. :huh:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Where did you read that T-Man, would like to read it myself.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:57 pm

T-MAN wrote:not a big fan of tree hugers either. I wa sreading that some hippies shot "paint cannons" at a couple groups of hunters when they were pulling their boats after a hunt. :huh:

I heard about that from a couple DEC officers. I can't remember if it happened on Cayuga or if it was down on Long Island. I want to say that it was on Cayuga. Heard they used that yellow Highway paint. I also heard it was actually while they were hunting and they ended up getting the boat, the hunters, the decoys, and the dog. Then again, it may just be an urban legend, because I couldn't find anything on it doing a google search.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Is it against the law to sexually harrass game?

Hey geese, nice breasts :thumbsup:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby Jpensyl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 pm

Tree huggers usually beep their horns and yell stuff at us while hunting the niagara river from grand island opening day. A bunch of tickets get written and they usually give up after that except for the occasional horn blarring while cruising up west river parkway. Whatever, I'll dedicate the first dead can of the day to them. I kind of like it, gets me angry and pumped up to kill things.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:23 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:

Is it against the law to sexually harrass game?

Hey geese, nice breasts :thumbsup:

I kissed a spoonie once. Am I going to jail??? :kiss: :hi:

And if that gets me in trouble that bird flu guy that sodomized all my ducks last year with that cotton swab is going away for good.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Jpensyl wrote:
I kissed a spoonie once. Am I going to jail??? :kiss: :hi:

Was it consensual?
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:11 am

Whoa..dont kill the messinger... :hammer:
I know guys in the past that got ticketed for spotlighting deer.Granted the DEC man suspected them of jackin so he gave them harrasment tix.
I got no problem with anyone callin birds out of season but the DEC man that needs to make his ticket quota might.
The DEC is very prevalent in the areas I hunt both deer and waterfowl.
I would call my local office to find out for sure.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting