Cayuga-Tompkins Co-Op

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Cayuga-Tompkins Co-Op

Postby cobber » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 am

I took a ride through this area yesterday to check it out. It appears that there is a large variety of terrain and hunting areas. I'm curious if anyone has any experience hunting the Co-Op? I'm mainly interested in waterfowl. I assume the goose hunting could be OK. Has anyone had any luck with ducks in the area? What do most people use for blinds in the fields? I'm also curious what the pheasant hunting is like?

thanks for any info
cobber
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:01 pm

Cobber - I've hunted the Cayuga L. blinds fairly extensively over the past few years and they are hit & miss (literally and figuratively.) There are only the southernmost 3 blinds in before the Long Point state park closes, #'s 68, 69 & 71. #68 & 69 are by far the better of the blinds and provide decent mallard & black duck hunting early. I may be there this weekend or out on the water in the boatblind.

Goose hunting is pretty fair from what I understand, just scout it out beforehand if you get the chance, layout blinds are the most common.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:20 pm

I've only ever goose hunted it and "fair" is being pretty nice. It is tough and the birds are wary. There are a ton of birds in the area, but if you look at the goose harvest numbers for the co-op they aren't very impressive. I think the best thing to do would be take a ton of dekes, and be ready to pack 'em in a ways.
harvey1b
hunter

thanks

Postby cobber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:19 am

thanks for the info guys. I would like to give it a try sometime. I really don't have many options when it comes to hunting west of 81.

Are there restrictions to how many people can hunt in your group?
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:40 pm

There are, but I can't remember what it is. 5 per party maybe, but that is a total guess.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 pm

It's a max of 3 for duck blinds, don't know about goose hunting. BTW - the reg's are everyone must be in the "blind" but there's no way to fit 3, especially if all 3 are 6' 1" and 220 or better :eek:

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Boat needed?

Postby cobber » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:11 am

Irish,

Do you need a boat at the duck blinds to get decoys out and back or can you wade? If you do need a boat/canoe how much work is it to get there?

I have 2 labs so no no problems with the retrieves.
cobber
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:09 pm

You "need" either a boat or a dog to retrieve, part of their regulations, but it sounds like you've got that covered.

You can wade to set decoys just fine. One of the blinds, can't remember the #, is right on a point that drops quick so getting decoys out "just a little further" can result in a swim :no:

It's a good hike to the south blinds so dragging a canoe or small boat is a definite "no go", especially on the way out ... significant uphill.

If you're planning on hunting the co-op let me know if you want someone to show you around, I'd be more than happy to do so :yes: I don't have a dog so I'm at the whim of my unreliable hunting partner (aka my brother.)

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting