Guns in NY (LI)

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Guns in NY (LI)

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:45 am

I decided on the Smith and Wesson M&P 22
So I went to a bunch of stores on Long Island and checked prices etc only to find that the gun was not legal in Suffolk County due to the threaded barrel. The gun was sent back to the manufacturer to cover the threads and they called that the "California Compliant" version which Nassau County stores said that they sold regularly (later to find only to law enforcement because it really is no good).....
I later find out that the gun is ok if you buy it on eastern Long Island because that is under the jurisdiction of the Sherrif, despite being INSIDE Suffolk County, the jurisdiction of the SCPD....
So I call the Sheriff to confirm this and he tells me that "you really have to follow what Suffolk told you"....so I said "I know that, but I just want to know if YOU allow it in your jurisdiction, so I can build a case about how I should be allowed to own one"......he said "I'm not going to go against what they told you"......I asked him if he has a list of bad guns....he said yes......I said, Is the MP on there.......he said.......I don't feel comfortable answering that question......
I said "if I call you back in 10 minutes with a different name and tell you that I live in the Hamptons......will you answer then?".....
it deteriorated from there.....

this is such a joke.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Guns in NY (LI)

Postby jeepman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:01 am

Welcome to the convoluted gun laws on NYS. That is only one issue. Before the Safe act, NYS kept as much as they could of the 1994 assault weapons ban when it expired. the next day it was legal to still purchase preban 30 rd magazines, but illegal to buy and own post ban. many hi-cap mag don't have a date on them so how would you know. I would say as long as you don't go waving it around in public ( which i'm sure you won't) you will be fine. I don't think you will get a clear answer on that because they don't really know and politically don't want to step on anyone else's toes.
jeepman
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting