How 'bout a poll?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

How much better of a Duck Hunter is Jpensly than me?

#1 Way freakin better
38%
#2 Alot better
No votes
#3 A little better
No votes
#4 About the same
13%
#5 I'm better, and I'm also a huge liar
50%

Total votes : 8

How 'bout a poll?

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 pm

I put "Way freakin better" :thumbsup:

Jpensyl wrote:Well the weather was about as ducky as it gets and the ducks acted that way. We took a bunch of little ducks early and when we realized we were going to limit out way too fast we decided it was time to get selective. Let birds play in the dekes all morning and ended up finishing with 7 mallards, 5 gw teal, 5 woodies and a black duck. Believe it or not we ended up with 3 bands, one mallard, a hen woody and a gw teal. I actually shot the band right off the hen woody, it fell off right into my hand when I picked her up a pellet hit the band and opened it up. One of the best hunts I've ever taken part of.

TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby harvey1b » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 am

Chin up buddy, why's it gotta be a competition? You're just havin' a little slow time. I'll tell you right now I'm the best duck hunter out there, in my own mind, and since I'm the judge I'm right!

Besides, he hunts out in western NY, between the 2 big lakes. Of course he sees a ton of birds. Out there shootin' ducks is like pickin' on 870 . :umm:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:04 am

I'm not being competitive, that was just my way of saying it was a heck of a hunt. A limit of birds with three bands amongst them.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby cobber » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 pm

I didn't even see a limit in the air last Saturday let alone in the bag.

Still good to be out though. Our days will come.
cobber
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

lol... I voted #5... Thanks for the self esteem boost clutch.. We have some top notch waterfowling here in wny and I've managed to put together some amazing private spots as well as great little holes on the public land. Yesterdays hunt we were one of only 14 people to be selected to hunt all of iroquois NWR and we were also the first out of the hat at the draw. Did alot of scouting and knew where I wanted to be, tell me thats not a lucky day. I told my cousin after he shot the first band he's free to remove the horseshoe at any time. I'll post pics of todays 3 man limit in a few...
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:57 pm

today we set up on state land and decided before the first shot was taken we would show the ducks no mercy little or big. By 7:37 we had 15 teal and decided to hold out for a couple drake woodies. Got one and then a drake mallard worked right into the hole and I couldnt resist. We finished up with our last teal and called it a morning by 8:30. Then me and my cousin ate buffalo teal bites for lunch. Nothing like sitting down and eating 20+ ducks at a single meal.. :smile:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby tgilberti29 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey nice woody. looks like a MOUNTER. What shot were using.
tgilberti29
hunter

Postby obageegee » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:32 pm

ok I'm moving to Lockport, I don't care what they say about the women there!

Spence
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

-- Thomas Jefferson
obageegee
hunter

Day Three

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:35 pm

Got our blind again and went to work... Changed up the spread, got rid of a couple of the mojos and used a couple quiver ducks and a couple jerk strings to get things moving. we had another great morning that started with a nice drake pinner burying into the decoys, my next duck was a big black followed by a couple drake teal, finished it off with a double on big fat drake mallards for my "perfect limit" 2 of us had our 12 very fast we had to wait for our normally sure handed friend to fumble through his last 4 ducks, he was a little off his game when the pressure was on...lol... People had to be wondering why we had flocks burying into the decoys and they would only here 3 shots every time.

"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm

nice shoot, better than up here, 870 might say differnt though
T-MAN
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Alright, I was gonna choose "Alot better" but that's more ducks than I've shot in two seasons. You're the man :hammer:

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Man clutch, after looking at my pics I might have to change my vote. I'm better than I thought.... Thanks for the kudos guys. :thumbsup: Planning on a woodie swat in the morning so our 18 duck days have probably come to an end for a while.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Hey CLUTCH, you can hold your own with the best of them, I’ve hunted with you. :thumbsup:

Of course I would say he’s better at not falling in and he only gets wet when it rains as the pic shows. :rofl: J/K ol'boy
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Streak is still alive at 4 days...

Postby Jpensyl » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 pm

We'll we pulled it off again today and in short order at that. Right at shooting time we had a flock of blacks bury into the decoys 3 blacks hit the water along with a drake mallard, first time I was ever happy we had a full moon lighting us up. Shortly after we had a flock of wigeon come in and dropped 3 from that, a flock of mallards and 3 more. A flock of teal and 3 more. Took a couple more green wings and finished off the limit with my first blue wing!! The birds worked like a dream and I hate to say it but it just keeps getting better. Tomorrow its off to the goose field so although we should have a great hunt the 3 man limit of duck streak will have to end at 4 days...:sp Check out the plumage on that green wing already:eek:

"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:46 am

Nice job JP! That greenwing is pretty.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

How bout this one Clutch!!!

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:30 pm

We set up in a field that has been LOADED with geese for the past couple days, the geese never flew but we made due none the less. We had a few "extra guns" with us today. Ended up with a 7 man limit of mallards evenly split between hens and drakes, 3 geese and 1 black. Another amazing hunt. Our extra guns were not the best at picking out drakes, but with the cloud cover and rain it was kind of hard. None the less, hens eat... We ate these ducks for lunch today... All of them. :yes:

"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:38 pm

damn! you boys sure know where/how to find the birds...

GOOD JOB!
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:43 pm

I've been scouting spots for weeks now and I pattern the birds every chance I get. The most important part of waterfowling is scouting imo. I would rather scout for 3 days and hunt one if thats what it took to produce a quality hunt. You can hunt 60 days straight but if your not checking different spots and just guessing each day you might never find the birds.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting