New Member MikeM in rochester

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

New Member MikeM in rochester

Postby MikeM » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:53 am

Hi all,

Just a brief introduction about me and why I joined.

I am 51 live and live in Greece NY. I am an avid hunter and flyfisherman. I have 2 sons and a daughter that all enjoy various outdoor sports with me.
Bowhunting for deer and turkey hunting are my favorite, but would love to duck hunt. I hunted for a few years for ducks back in the mid 80's but as my kids were young I had only enough time for bow and turkey, duck hunting would be pushing it with the wife back then. Well now they hunt a little and I'd like to bring them out for ducks. I mostly huntied late season off Lake Ontario and some early season around Braddocks. Back then it was very difficult to get on the ponds and when you did there was alot of skyblasting (I think thats what they call it)

Anyway I'm hoping that this forum will give me some pointers on where to hunt, what to bring and if there is anyone local to chat with.

I plan on hunting Keeney swamp and Honeoye Creek this weekend.

Mike
Mike M
Rochester, NY
MikeM
hunter

welcome

Postby cobber » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:12 am

Welcome this is a great furom with plenty of good people that well help you out. There are a number of guys on here from the Rochester area that should be able to give you some local support.

Post up any specific waterfowl questions and I'm sure plenty will chime in.
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:24 am

:welcome:

Welcome Mike! Glad to have you aboard. We will help you the best we can. Great to hear you are getting into waterfowling. My first piece of advice is to sell all that deer hunting gear, you won't need it once you get hooked!

Just kidding. Ask all kinds of questions. Someone on here will be able to help you out. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby kaylasbadshot » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:28 am

Welcome. I am on the east side of Rochester in Penfield. The guys on this forum are great at answering questions. Good luck on Honeoye Creek, I scouted part of it and it had very little water and no birds.
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Thanks

Postby MikeM » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for the nice words. I will post a report next week. Anyone know how the hunting is along Lake Ontario rochester area this year? There is lots of spots but they used to all be taken back in the day. Just wondering if there are more or less hunter out now than 20 years ago. I hunted Cranberry and Braddocks but it was awful crowded and impossoble to call ducks in. It used to be much better in the late season right off the Lake out by Kendall.

NOw If have to start looking for a dog!

My borther has a german shorthair and a wiemeriner (spelling) and he thinks the shorthair will retreive ducks ... at least it does in his pool. :)

Mike
Mike M
Rochester, NY
MikeM
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 am

Both those dogs could retrieve, but you really want to be careful with short haired dogs once the water and air temps start dropping. From what I understand, there are less guys hunting, but there are alot less spots, so people are right on top of each other. At least that's what my dad says, and he's usually right (don't tell him I said that though). Right now is still pretty early, so calls aren't really working at all. A feeder chuckle seems to be working alright, and a couple soft quacks may turn their heads a little, but hail and comeback calls aren't working right now. Still too early in the year. I've had to force myself to put the calls down these past couple weeks, and let the decoys do their thing. I've never hunted out that way, but my uncle lives there, and he used to hunt quite a bit.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby keeshadilla » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:26 pm

You can try Tonawanda WMA, Oak Orchard and Iroquois NWR they are aonly about 45 minutes west of Greece. You will need a permit this weekend but after that it's open season
keeshadilla
hunter

Rochester area

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Mike I've been hunting the Greece area for a long time and you are totally right about those spots being brutal to hunt. I can't wait for the nasty weather to hit. Drives most of the yahoos away.

As far as a good Duck dog....Labs and chessies are probably at the top of the list. My Choc Lab is about 5 yrs old now and he's really put a nice spin on my waterfowl hunting. He's great with my 2 yr old and he is extremely protective of my property. Came from a top of the line Kennel in Victor. If you want I'll Pm you with the Breeder info. Good luck with this season...................Matt French
Dep666
hunter

The Oak

Postby MikeM » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:26 am

keeshadilla wrote:You can try Tonawanda WMA, Oak Orchard and Iroquois NWR they are aonly about 45 minutes west of Greece. You will need a permit this weekend but after that it's open season

Thanks Keeshadilla, I fish the Oak quite a bit in the winter for Steelie's and I've heard about the WMA and NWR spots but never found out how to get into them to hunt. Is there anything online.

Mike
Mike M
Rochester, NY
MikeM
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:14 pm

:welcome: Mike I"m glad to see your coming back to the sport of Kings. Harvey's right might as well sell all the Bambi busting stuff.

Sounds like your hooked. Matt French and I hold DHA (Duck Hunter Anonymous) meetings once a week. If you find that your mind is filled with thoughts of hunting ducks more than 15 or 20 times a day give us PM . We'll hook you up :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Addict

Postby Dep666 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:27 pm

" My name is Matt ....( Hello Matt ) and I'm an addict. My last usage date was yesterday and it was Mallards and Blacks. I hate to say it, but I'm about to fall off the 24 hr wagon....God give me the will power........errrrrr......screw it! Who has the field Dekes?" Ha Ha
Dep666
hunter

Re: New Member MikeM in rochester

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:08 pm

MikeM wrote:
Bowhunting for deer

People still hunt those things?
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Re: New Member MikeM in rochester

Postby T-MAN » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:18 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Bowhunting for deer

People still hunt those things?

HAHAHA :rofl:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby keeshadilla » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:52 pm

MIKE
YOU CAN FIND INFO ABOUT TONAWANDA AND OAK ORCHARD AT THE DEC WEBSITE AND IROQUOPIS NATIONAL HAS ITS OWN. I HAVE HUNTED BOTH OO AND TON THIS LAST WEEK AND HAVE HAULED IN 13 BIRDS. THE WMA'S ARE TOUGH DUE TO THE SKYBUSTERS AND GUYS SETTING UP NEXT TO YOU BUT IT WILL THIN OUT. MY FIRST VISITS TO BOTH WMA'S WAS IN THE AFTERNOON AND TOURED, FINDING SOME GOOD SPOTS. ALL 3 ARE WAY LOW ON WATER SO WHAT YOU SEE NOW IS NOT NORMAL. I HAVE SOME BROCHURE MAPS OF ALL 3 IF YOU WOULD LIKE THEM PM ME, I WORK OUT YOUR WAY.
keeshadilla
hunter

Info

Postby MikeM » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:28 am

Hey Keeshadilla,

Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on the maps.

Mike
Mike M
Rochester, NY
MikeM
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting