Small Spread

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Small Spread

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Went back to the beaver pond today and got a little closer to the landing zone the birds were using opening day. A pile of birds were roosting there in the buttonbush, so I set up on the edge of them. Just put out four homemade dekes and tucked into a bush. I could've got a lot of pass shooting as they took off at shooting light but I didn't want to spook so many birds. So I waited for decoying birds. Had a trio of mallards cupped up within 8 feet of me when I fired. Missed the first two shots and got a drake at about six yards on the third shot. Even after that shooting, birds were still on the water around me calling. However that was the only flock I had come in. Had fun with the camera, then got to work by 9:30. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get myself in their landing zone. Here's some pics:

Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Great pic's. Did you make those decoys?? They look great.

I guess that's more of a rhetorical question due to the username.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Yes I did. Thank you! It's a lot of fun making and using your own blocks.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Those blocks are sweet. It's got to be fulfilling getting to shoot birds over your own hard work.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Good job o'l boy :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:42 am

Thanks guys. Well I did find a nice little hole in the bushes over near where those birds were landing. It wasn't hard to see with the bright moon yesterday morning, didn't even turn my headlamp on once. And again the birds were roosted all around me. Half of the birds that tried to land in that part of the swamp came into that hole. However, all but one of them were woodies. So I ended up with my pair of woodies from a trio of birds that came in real nice. Going to give the spot a rest now and try it again in about a week. Oh, I also saw a flock of snow geese going over today.

JP: How did you do with the woodies today?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting