Snows finally showed up

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Snows finally showed up

Postby 870 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Well after facing the winter from hell it was nice to see the snow melt a little so we could get some hunting in. The leading edge of the migration showed up last week and it was hard to work knowing they were coming soon. Friday night I was loading my truck and had snows circling my house in the dark. To most that would of been a good sign, to me that told me they were ready to push right through frozen rivers and fields be damned. We showed up at three thirty to set up and heard Snows just down the road from us roosting in a field :huh: They kept getting up and settling back down about every ten minutes, again not a good sign. Never seen that before, but knew it wasn't good. Three hours later the sun caught us still putting out decoys and the Snows were up heading our way. We didn't finish putting out the last three dozen and most of our flyers. The only place in the field that was big enough for my spread was at the bottom of a nob. So we placed the decoys out from the bottom on the flats ending them at the snowline. We then ran the rest up the side of the nob leaving the top open for them to want to land on. The ground was still frozen and we had to punch hundreds of holes into the ground to set our decoys ( that sucks btw). Long story short I'll never set on a nob again. They just didn't like the set up, we did have a pretty good shot even though.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Re: Snows finally showed up

Postby spider316 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Bro, You don't know how bad I needed to see that Pic !!!!!
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Why's that :huh: :hi:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby spider316 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 pm

PM Brother
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Nice job! You still got snows over there? We are not seeing many over here on the Vt side of Champlain ?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:30 pm

No way they bugged out late Sat, this is a post I posted on another forum....... "I spent last week finding myself ticked off because the snow geese were piling into our area big time and I had other more "important" things that caused me to hate life. Which made it impossible for me to hunt. Saturday I had to work in the morning and spent the rest of the day scouting. Everyone of my farms that I have permission to hunt were holding tons of Snows. I pick a farm that I wanted to hunt the next day. My hunting partner had to work doubles all weekend so I knew I had to set up and breakdown by my self. WTH lets do this. I get to the field at 2:30 and find out there is a half inch of frost so I had to punch holes for all my sillosocks. I keep asking my self " How bad do you want this boy"? The sun comes up finding me still punching holes and setting decoys. Now I'm saying to God.. Please Lord slow the sun down. Please Lord slow the sun down I need numbers. Well I finish and get ready for the blood bath to follow. By now ducks are piling into the field followed my Canada's but no Snows huh . Just the day before there were ten's of thousands trading between the corn field and the hay filed all day right next to each other. After all that work all I saw was two small flocks heading north, dot high. They must of bugged out late in the afternoon on Sat. After I picked up my spread I went around to all the fields that were holding geese the day before and they were all empty not a Snow anywheres to be seen. I think I've gone from hunting them to just wanting to kill them LOL They got the last laugh I did learn a lot this year though, a lot."
Pro Hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting