Ordering Ammo in NY

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 am

I'm looking to get some 22 ammo for my new pistol..(that I'm getting next week) and have been hearing about all kinds of shortages etc....
Where do you guys order from, and if there is a place on Long Island that I don't know about, please advise
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side


Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 pm

As of right now, the "face to face" requirement on ammo sales by the SAFE act is not being enforced due to lack of resources. Interestingly, that requirement DOES NOT include reloading components or black powder components. Only fully loaded ammunition. The thing is that most of the internet sellers have long since refused to ship even these into NY.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Rich- » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't know of any retailers willing to ship into NY. If anyone around the Rochester area needs any received, let me know and I'll do so for no charge. FNY
Rich-
hunter
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Finger Lakes NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Rich- wrote:I don't know of any retailers willing to ship into NY. If anyone around the Rochester area needs any received, let me know and I'll do so for no charge. FNY

I don't understand.......
You will ship to the Rochester area but are advising that others can't ship to NY? Does that mean that you/others can ship WITHIN NY only?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby jeepman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Frank is right there is no restriction on reloading components. As for the 22 ammo, people stockpiling it and buying up mass quantities out of fear. by doing this they are creating a high market price where there doesn't need to be one. Those people are the ones creating a false shortage in ammo. As for where I get my ammo, I reload almost all of it, but 22. all of the ammo I do buy I will get on road trips to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. For the bleeding heart liberals out there, this safe act was very comprehensive. The problem with it is that, the ammo checks will only occur in NY and nowhere in the law are restrictions on selling to NY residents out of state. unless they set up checkpoints and do vehicle searches as I enter the state they have no way to enforce the sale of ammo if your willing to travel to get it. the same goes for everything else too.
jeepman
hunter
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:49 am
Location: Adirondacks, upstate ny

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby longlakesd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 pm

so effed up ... we have to suffer .. law abiding citizens.
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
User avatar
longlakesd
hunter
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby KRB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I'm looking to get some 22 ammo for my new pistol..(that I'm getting next week) and have been hearing about all kinds of shortages etc....
Where do you guys order from, and if there is a place on Long Island that I don't know about, please advise

Did you get the Ruger Mark III ?
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm

KRB wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:I'm looking to get some 22 ammo for my new pistol..(that I'm getting next week) and have been hearing about all kinds of shortages etc....
Where do you guys order from, and if there is a place on Long Island that I don't know about, please advise

Did you get the Ruger Mark III ?


SR22
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby KRB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 am

Sweet, :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:31 am

KRB wrote:Sweet, :thumbsup:

Yeah...I like it....but not so fast...I'm picking it up next week over April break....gotta go home>store>HQ>store>HQ>home :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Unreal
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:48 am

Slack Tide wrote:
KRB wrote:Sweet, :thumbsup:

Yeah...I like it....but not so fast...I'm picking it up next week over April break....gotta go home>store>HQ>store>HQ>home :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Unreal


I did my last purchase from a retailer all in one day. You don't need to make it more difficult than it really is. Go to the store, with your CCL, and buy the gun. They will give you the receipt and a "coupon." Take that receipt with the serial number on it to your CCL licensing establishment(mine happens to be the county clerk office) and they will put it onto your license. Simply go to the store, show them that the gun is on your license and they will hand you your new gun.

On another note, I just had the restrictions removed off of my license. I now have full carry and am only 1 of 2 that has ever had the restrictions lifted off their license(In my county) since 2000. All it took was a letter to the liberal judge convincing him to remove them.... :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

Eric Haynes wrote: You don't need to make it more difficult than it really is.
On another note, I just had the restrictions removed off of my license. I now have full carry and am only 1 of 2 that has ever had the restrictions lifted off their license(In my county) since 2000. All it took was a letter to the liberal judge convincing him to remove them.... :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:


Here is Suffolk County, here is how it works....
You go to the store and pay for the gun...you take the receipt to Police HQ which is 40 miles away to get a "purchase affidavit"....you then go back to the gun store, 40 miles, to give them a copy and get the gun, you then have 20 days to go back to HQ (40 miles) and register the gun on your license....
There are a few shops that are close to the HQ and I could cut down the back and forth a bit by using them, but, they didn't have the model I wanted and it was $60 more if I wanted them to order it.....

Eric, please explain more about the process of having restrictions lifted...I'm really interested in that. PM me if you'd prefer....but...what was your justification for lifting it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm

I just stated how I had been around firearms my entire life and how familiar I was with them. The rest was fluff. No tickets/criminal record, good citizen, volunteer...yada yada yada. It worked though.

You shouldn't need to beg a judge to get full carry in the first place though. I WANT TO CARRY BECAUSE IT IS MY RIGHT, is all I should have had to say.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:I just stated how I had been around firearms my entire life and how familiar I was with them. The rest was fluff. No tickets/criminal record, good citizen, volunteer...yada yada yada. It worked though.

You shouldn't need to beg a judge to get full carry in the first place though. I WANT TO CARRY BECAUSE IT IS MY RIGHT, is all I should have had to say.

But you don't just walk in to talk to a judge off the street.....you had to have a hook somehow....? I would also think that because you are in a more rural area that would help....
Also, when you say full carry....you mean all day, everyday...everywhere sensible.....right? And you are NOT affiliated with the cops? Active military? Own business with lots of cash etc??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I just stated how I had been around firearms my entire life and how familiar I was with them. The rest was fluff. No tickets/criminal record, good citizen, volunteer...yada yada yada. It worked though.

You shouldn't need to beg a judge to get full carry in the first place though. I WANT TO CARRY BECAUSE IT IS MY RIGHT, is all I should have had to say.

But you don't just walk in to talk to a judge off the street.....you had to have a hook somehow....? I would also think that because you are in a more rural area that would help....
Also, when you say full carry....you mean all day, everyday...everywhere sensible.....right? And you are NOT affiliated with the cops? Active military? Own business with lots of cash etc??


Yes, full carry as in, I have it on me right now. Legally.

I didn't just walk in and talk to him. I wrote a formal letter to him.

Also, of the three you mentioned, being a business owner that handles a lot of cash is the only one that will automatically get a full carry permit. Being active military will get you no further than your average civilian. Cops can full carry under their badge, so they have zero need for a CCL. I am a DoD civilian and ANG, but that had nothing to do with getting the restrictions removed. When you applied for your CCL you must have checked one of those boxes, outdoor sports I would assume. Technically, they don't have to restrict anything, but depending on the judge, they will put them on there. There are counties out west that don't even put a restriction on it from the start.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Eric,

I don't doubt any of what you've posted. However, Long Island, specifically Nassau and Suffolk counties might as well be an entirely different state. The rules are not uniform across the state. For example, that Business license you speak of, here on LI (specifically Nassau), the licensee may carry concealed, but only during business hours. Don't ask me how they figure out what "business hours" are, but that's their interpretation. This was just in the local paper yesterday. Long Island has a long history of doing whatever they want to pistol licenses and completely disregarding state law
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Eric Haynes wrote: I am a DoD civilian and ANG,

What's this?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Frank Lopez wrote: Long Island has a long history of doing whatever they want to pistol licenses and completely disregarding state law


I honestly had zero idea of this trend until I went for mine....believe me....I am going to pursue this......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:Eric,

I don't doubt any of what you've posted. However, Long Island, specifically Nassau and Suffolk counties might as well be an entirely different state. The rules are not uniform across the state. For example, that Business license you speak of, here on LI (specifically Nassau), the licensee may carry concealed, but only during business hours. Don't ask me how they figure out what "business hours" are, but that's their interpretation. This was just in the local paper yesterday. Long Island has a long history of doing whatever they want to pistol licenses and completely disregarding state law



I hear you Frank. I know it differs from county to county but I didn't realize how much different.

Slack, I am a Department of Defense employee and also in the Air National Guard. Neither had anything to do with the removal of restrictions though.

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk 2
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Eric Haynes wrote: I am a Department of Defense employee and also in the Air National Guard.


Right....and I'm a big titted blonde but that had nothing to do with me being invited to the prom........ :no: :no:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote: I am a Department of Defense employee and also in the Air National Guard.


Right....and I'm a big titted blonde but that had nothing to do with me being invited to the prom........ :no: :no:


It was never mentioned on my application or the letter to the judge. Right now, the last people they seem to want to see carrying is the military.

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk 2
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby wackemstackem » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Nassau and suffolk are handled by the police. Decisions on who should be able to ccl should be handled by a judge as its a constitutional right.
As frank said.Some assclown clown with political clout had a full carry even though hes a wife beater and had protection orders against him.
Nassau did away with bringing your handgun back to the department.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster
 
Posts: 3973
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 am
Location: Long Island

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm

wackemstackem wrote:Nassau did away with bringing your handgun back to the department.

What does this mean?

Also, did you know that eastern suffolk is in controlled by the Sheriff? Not SCPD......more BS
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Ordering Ammo in NY

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 am

Slack Tide wrote:
wackemstackem wrote:Nassau did away with bringing your handgun back to the department.

What does this mean?

Also, did you know that eastern suffolk is in controlled by the Sheriff? Not SCPD......more BS



Like you said, you have to get your purchase order and go to the pd, sherrifs office what ever. Pick up the gun and then go back to the pd/sherrifs office. You no longer have to do that in nassau. In nassau you bring your purchse order to pd headquarters, they type it on your license and your done. Pick up your gun and thats it.

Regardless of weather its the ncpd,scpd or the sherrifs office.
Owning a handgun is a constitutional right. Therefore my rights to own and carry one should not be decided by some schmuck corrupt cop. It should be decided by a federal judge.
A birthright givin to me by the hands of God that should not be denied for any reason whatsoever to a law abiding American citizen.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster
 
Posts: 3973
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 am
Location: Long Island


Return to New York Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests