Pigeons for Training

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Pigeons for Training

Postby Feesh » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I am in the Syracuse area and am looking to get some live and frozen pigeons for my Chessie - where can I find them?
Feesh
hunter

Re: Pigeons for Training

Postby sgk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 pm

How many live birds are you looking for?
sgk
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:34 pm

I think there is a preserve up around Watertown. they might sell you birds. they might have dead ones too. As for pigions, if you ask some local farmers you can trap them or climb up at night and get them as long as you keep the spotlight on them they will sit tight and you can grab them.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:54 pm

jeepman wrote:I think there is a preserve up around Watertown. they might sell you birds. they might have dead ones too. As for pigions, if you ask some local farmers you can trap them or climb up at night and get them as long as you keep the spotlight on them they will sit tight and you can grab them.

The DEC has a posting on their website that notes that it is illegal to release pigeons into the wild. If they are already dead, I suppose that you aren't releasing them. But using live birds, even in a shoot to kill situation is not allowed.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 am

Frank Lopez wrote:The DEC has a posting on their website that notes that it is illegal to release pigeons into the wild.

I was talking about Chuckars and Pheasants from the preserve around watertown. As for the Pigions, I didn't know that. Technically if someone were to trap a live pigeon, and then use it for training it would be illegal because they were releasing it? even if the bird was wild to begin with?
jeepman
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 am

jeepman wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:The DEC has a posting on their website that notes that it is illegal to release pigeons into the wild.

I was talking about Chuckars and Pheasants from the preserve around watertown. As for the Pigions, I didn't know that. Technically if someone were to trap a live pigeon, and then use it for training it would be illegal because they were releasing it? even if the bird was wild to begin with?

Not unless every dog club and training facility I've ever been to is breaking the law...which I doubt because most of them are run by DEC employees. They trap wild pigeons and use them for training every week.

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 am

Eric Haynes wrote:Not unless every dog club and training facility I've ever been to is breaking the law...which I doubt because most of them are run by DEC employees. They trap wild pigeons and use them for training every week.

LOL, that's the fox guarding the hen house! DEC employees are the worst offenders. Here's the quote, directly from the DEC's web page:
Pigeons are not considered game birds and may not be released at any time.
You can find it under "Possession and Release of Game Birds" on THIS WEB PAGE.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby jeepman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Eric, your right I have seen everywhere I have ever brought my dog to train. I never questioned it because I never thought twice about it. I haven't really used pigeons much but the info about the pigeons is good to know so I know not to get caught :wink:

I'd rather use Chuckars and pheasants for upland training anyway.
jeepman
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:45 am

Most Pigeons are considered "Homers" if you raise them in one location/coop and then take them to another location they will return to the original location/coop. There are Pigeons clubs that have races all the time, this "law" would make every Pigeon Race illegal. Also there is NO season on Pigeons in NY state, there fore you can catch/trap them at any time, if you set them out for training purposes and you "happen" to miss when you flush the bird, that's not a "release" it's just poor shooting! :smile:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Rich- » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm

labtrainer wrote:Most Pigeons are considered "Homers" if you raise them in one location/coop and then take them to another location they will return to the original location/coop. There are Pigeons clubs that have races all the time, this "law" would make every Pigeon Race illegal. Also there is NO season on Pigeons in NY state, there fore you can catch/trap them at any time, if you set them out for training purposes and you "happen" to miss when you flush the bird, that's not a "release" it's just poor shooting! :smile:

I spoke with the DEC about releasing homers and was told it is legal.

Here is my original question to them:

NY state law states that it is unlawful to release pigeons at anytime since they are not a game bird.

" Pigeons are not considered game birds and may not be released at any time"

Maybe there is certain definition of "release" according to DEC law than I know but wouldn't that make pigeon races, etc. illegal?

Basically, what I'm looking for is a clarification as to whether releasing a homing pigeon which will return to its loft is legal or illegal in NY?

Here is the response from them:
Rich,
A domestic pigeon is not wildlife and not a gamebird. Pigeons existing in a wild state are classified as unprotected wildlife as defined in ECL 11-0103.5a

"Unprotected wild birds" means the English sparrow and starling, and also includes pigeons and psittacine birds existing in a wild state, not domesticated.

ECL section Sec. 11-0513, say this about Pigeons:

1. No person shall at any time, by any means or in any manner capture, kill or attempt to capture or kill any Antwerp or homing pigeon, wearing a ring or seamless leg band with its registered number stamped thereon; nor shall any person remove such mark. No person except the lawful owner shall detain, possess, or transport Antwerp or homing pigeons wearing a ring or seamless leg band with the registered number thereon.

2. Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, the local legislative body of any city, town or village, or in the city of New York the Department of Health may take or issue a permit to any person to take pigeons at any time and in any humane manner in such municipality, whenever such body or administration finds that pigeons within such municipality are or may become a menace to public health or a public nuisance; provided, however, that no pigeon may be taken in a manner which will endanger other animal life, persons or property.

A domestic pigeon is like a chicken or a cat, they are domestic animals, personal property. If the law prohibits people from capturing or killing Antwerp or Homing pigeons, it would appear that it is lawful to release them for sport. The law generally addresses what is prohibited not what is permitted. Hope this helps you.

Capt. John W. Burke
NYS DEC Police
6274 East Avon-Lima Road
Avon, NY 14414-9519
Office - 585-226-6706
Fax - 585-226-8533
Rich-
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:02 am

Feesh wrote:I am in the Syracuse area and am looking to get some live and frozen pigeons for my Chessie - where can I find them?

Hey were about in syracuse I hand out on a few farms in south Onondaga..... if you want frozens ill get you as many as I can.... get a hold of me always nice to meet nes people in my areas!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting