Early season geese

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Early season geese

Postby Mikel199 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 pm

First time hunting early goose. I live near north end of Seneca lake. What kind of feilds do I hunt? Can to many decoys ruin your hunt?
Mikel199
hunter

Re: Early season geese

Postby sgk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:54 am

Live quite a ways east of you but we look for big grass fields and hay fields that have been baled within the last few days. As with most waterfowling you will do more scouting than hunting.
As far as decoys go, we tailor our spread to the amount of birds we see working an area.
Remember, these birds are still in family units so even if you use a lot of dekes break them up into small groups in the field. Don't set out one big flock.
Because of the short cover of most early season hunting, layout blinds can be hard to hide. We have found that bunching them close together and using fresh cover out of the field you are hunting is the way to go. We bring some tree branches recently pruned and stick them in the ground around us. This gives the impression of a small hedgerow or low wet spot that does not get touched by the tractor. You have to be careful shooting when bunched this close but it is effective.
Good luck and have fun.
sgk
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 am

Been a little curious about this subject as I will be doing early goose for the first time this year too. Would it be effective to hunt on the water? If hunting on the water, would it be worth it trying to get into position early in the morning or wait for them to go to breakfast and catch em on the return trip?
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:15 am

I hunt water more than fields. The birds don't seem as wary coming to water if you have a good setup. I have shot birds first thing in the morning over a water spread but generally wait until after the birds have left the area before setting up.
Also, don't forget that the hours have been extended to 1/2 hour after sunset. This last half hour can be a great time to kill birds coming back to the water particularly on overcast, nasty evenings.
sgk
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:53 am

Yeah, I noticed all the traffic after sunset last year during the regular season. Many times honkers would come over or land on the other side of the lake as we were tearing down or on our way out. Good know about the extended half hour, thx sgk.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting