Duck Hunting Forum banner

Thought I'd share

505 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  captainduckhead 
#1 ·
I was waiting for the big game to start yesterday, and decided that I'd repaint some decoys. I made these ones about 4 years ago out of Cork and Balsa wood from some old life jackets that I had I have 34 of the 48 that I originally made. They are all 4 season veterans and stil going strong. The last decoy is an example of some that I made out of the "half pieces" of cork and Balsa that were in the underarm sections of the life jackets. I just Gorilla Glued them between 2, 1/2" thick pine boards, cut out the pattern and start carving.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you, as I mentioned, each of the life jackets has 4 pieces that were too small to make a decoy out of, so I glued them between 2 pieces of 1/2" thinck pine boards, waited for the glue to set up, then cut it out on a band saw, and went to work with my rasp. I have just about 2 dozen of that type. I am very unimaginative when it comes to naming things so I call that style "sandwich decoys". They are very durable and light, and float very well. The mistake made with them, is the first 2 I made, I used balsa for the heads, so they are very delicate. I have to be careful with them. I saw the problems I was going to have so I made the rest out of pine. I have enough materials to make another 10 sandwich decoys, but I wanted to get my rig repainted before I start any more. so 34 down, 68 to go. Painting can get tedious.

#5 ·
Regular 2x6's will give you the same thing, they will just be a little heavier. You'll need to cut the back profile out a little higher if you're going to use 2x6's. The cork and balsa sure do float nicely. Tarheel, you'll get to see them in action this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.