Duck Hunting Forum banner

Needing your pro advise

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  T-MAN 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'am new here and new to hunting. I love hunting and just start to get into it. Now before I go out there and do crazy things... I'll like for you guys to shine some light on me on what I need.

I live in Jamaica Queens, NY. If any of you guys around the area, let me know.

So far, I've done my hunders ed, bowhunting ed, and waterfowl certificate course.
I've applied for Rifle and Shotgun Permit, that will take 3-4 months I was told.
Anything else I'll need for paper work part?

I need a nice shotgun also, nothing too cheap or nothing that I can't handle.
I'll use this to hunt ducks, wild turky and other waterfowl. Remember I'm a biggner and I need not too bigginer and not too advance. I'm looking to spent about $500 on a shotgun. So all suggestion are welcome. Also, I heard that I have to use 10 Guage for waterfowl, can some shine some light there?

Lastly, any other info you guys have to give is welcome and all suggestiong. If you dont mind me tag along with you after I got all of my paper work and equipment ready that will be great too.

Happy hunting..

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, Guy :welcome: first of all. I am also sorta new to this, as this last season was my first at waterfowl hunting. As far as answering questions, ...waterfowl certificate is new to me, so I need a little light on that one. As far as the 10 guage thing, that is bull, because all the guys I hunt with up here in Northern NY use 12 guage. I bought an old Stevens/Savage pump 12 guage about 5 years ago and that is what I use for ducks and geese. Well, that is the extent of my available help. If you evfer get up this way next year, give me a holler. Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
No problem I am retiring from the Army in 80-something days, and I am making this area my permanent home so I'll be here for ya if ya come up here. You'll be getting alot of responses in the coming days...these guys in the NY forum are great...both as hunting advisors and friends. They took me under their wing and have been a great help.

#5 ·
The biggest gun you'll need will be a twelve gauge. You'll want one with at least a 3" chamber (most new guns come with that anyway), although for less than $500 you could get a nice Remington 870 Super Mag, which will handle up to 3 1/2" shells. If you can get a gun that has been camo dipped (that camo finish all over the gun) get one, because it will be easier to keep clean and rust free, especially with the salt water down there. Your gun also should have removeable choke tubes that you can switch according to the conditions you're hunting.

As far as paperwork and such, we don't have the restrictions up here that you do down there as far as gun ownership goes, but a Waterfowl ID course is a very good idea. If you definately want to get into waterfowl hunting, look into some of the waterfowl conservation clubs down in your area, join and attend some meetings, and most times someone will take you under their wing and show you the right way to do things.

#6 ·
Welcome to waterfowl hunting! You'll really enjoy it. Ditto on the guage thing. You've gotten some sound advice. 10 ga. is usually overkill and the shells cost a fortune. A 12 guage with at least a 3" chamber is adequate for waterfowl hunting and turkey hunting. The Remington 870 is a nice gun and if you're willing to spend $500 I'd get one with a synthetic stock because it'll withstand the weather better than wood.

#7 ·
Whistlerwhittler said:
Welcome to waterfowl hunting! You'll really enjoy it. Ditto on the guage thing. You've gotten some sound advice. 10 ga. is usually overkill and the shells cost a fortune. A 12 guage with at least a 3" chamber is adequate for waterfowl hunting and turkey hunting. The Remington 870 is a nice gun and if you're willing to spend $500 I'd get one with a synthetic stock because it'll withstand the weather better than wood.
Here's the thing guys and thanks for all the respond, great information.

Keep in mind that I am planing to hunt goose, wild turkey and other waterfowl. so the 12 Guage will do good for that?

I am not really willing to spent $500 the less I spent the better, but I at least want a shotgun that can do the job I want for the mention hunts. Consider I have to get hunting cloths and stuff.

So so far I'm sure of getting:
12 Guage
And at least 3" inch chamber

#8 ·
guyana said:
So so far I'm sure of getting:
12 Guage
And at least 3" inch chamber
Correct. I'd shop around and see what guns with these criteria meet you're price range. The supermag (3-1/2" chamber) and synthetic stock are nice but not absolutely necessary.

As far as geese, turkey, and ducks. I'd say the vast majority of these birds taken are harvested with a 12 guage.

#10 ·
I would not go out and spend a fortune on a shotgun at first. You can definitely go out and get a darn nice gun for $500. My dad gave me a Browning A 5 when I was 13 years old, and I've been shooting it now for 16 years. It has killed everything, you name it.

I bought a Benelli Nova four years ago, I think, and it was no more than $400 which included taxes. I didn't have $1,000 for the automatic. It's a pump gun and shoots 3.5 inch shells and has the camo paint. I don't have to worry about tearing it up in the marsh or boat and it shoots great and has killed a ton of birds and a good number of deer.

Another idea is to watch the various outdoor/hunting websites for sales and bargains. Cabellas/Macks Prairie Wings/Wing Supply are all good places to check out...get on their email list and they always have specials. The Wing Supply site is really good for close-out items cheap. Right now they're trying to get rid of their turkey hunting decoys/calls/clothes.

Here's my advice...hunting is very expensive to get into all at once. Take your time, get the basic essentials at first...gun, camo clothes, maybe a call or decoys. Watch the closeout specials, and buy a dozen decoys here and there and spread out the expenses over the year.

You're already doing the right thing by networking and trying to meet people. That's the best way to learn...watching someone who's been at it a while. Then go out and scout, scout, scout.

It's a blast and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Oh yeah, Welcome! :welcome:

#12 ·
Another fly in my tristate area web.Hands off guys.
Theirs a nice benelli nova on sale at sports athority in mineola not far from the mall for 349.Thier are alot of waterfowl sales at cabelas rite now too.Ive bought plenty of stuff off ebay also.Stick with the 5 mill waders.
Their are public trap and skeet clubs in suffolk co for you to practice.Post up more questions as you go along and we will help you out.
Good luck and :welcome: to DHC

#18 ·
Personally if I were you and was just getting into it like you said, maybe instead of going out there and throwing down a lot on a new gun, maybe you should think about buying a good used shotgun. I bought a used 870 it's a 12ga 3" with a 28" vented ribbed barrel.( which is something to look for when buying a shotgun) I paid less than haft of a new one. That was over ten years ago and I can't begin to tell how many Ducks Geese and Turkeys I've shot with it over the years and it's still going strong today. Just a thought there o'l boy.

Do you have a Walmart near you? If so they have a hunting and fishing Library there where you can buy good books on the sport. The one to ask for is " The Complete Hunter Duck Hunting"
It covers everything from:
Understanding Ducks, their habitat, breeding and migration. It goes through all the Puddle ducks and doesn't stop until it goes through the Divers ducks and Sea ducks.

It talks about Duck hunting and skills:
Shotguns, Shotgun shells, Decoys, Blinds, Calls, Dogs, Clothing and Duck Hunting Accessories.

Then it covers Duck Hunting Techniques:
Duck hunting basics, how weather affects Duck hunting. It goes through everything from hunting potholes to Sea duck hunting. I've only scratched the surface of what this book has in it. Just a thought their o"l boy :thumbsup:

#20 ·
I would look at our list of sponsors and see if they have anything your looking for or might need.

Here are a couple of must get catalogs, to order and some magazines to subscribe to. They are filled with tons tips and techniques, first the Catalogs.

Mack's Prairie Wings: mackspw.com
Cabelas.com (ask for their waterfowl catalog)
Now you may not get them until July that's when they start sending out this year's copy.

Now for the magazines
Wildfowl: wildfowlmag.com
Waterfowl Hunter: waterfowl-hunter.com
Last, but not least is Waterfowl and Retriever: I don't have a web site, but here is a Ph # to call (205) 408-3700

Here's a cool book to pick up, "The Duck Hunter's Book" For more info contact

Lamar Underwood
Waterfowl hunting
Harris Publications
115Broadway, N Y 10010

It's great for anyone's Duck hunting library :thumbsup:

Now then, I have to get started painting decoys.

Later :thumbsup: BTW welcome to DHC :yes:

#21 ·
Welcome to the duck hunting world. You'll find there are all kinds of fun goodies that you can buy. Pay special attention to 870, he's a solid pro, and Tarheel is waaaay to big to ignore so be polite to him as well. As far as the 10 ga. thing you certainly don't NEED it but they sure are fun to hunt with. I have a Browning 10 ga. and I rarely hunt with anything else, but a 12 is very adeuate. Make sure you buy all the latest gadgets and goodies, in my blind the new guy that show up with all the latest and gretes get clle the "gear queer". It's all good fun. Good luck and welcome aboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.