Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lake Ontario

697 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  babyt 
#1 ·
I'm looking at trying to do a diver trip to Lake Ontario this year around the St. Lawrence but I would like to know what are the species that may show themselves. Also, can anyone suggest a good guide? I'm going to be bringing my girlfriend and possibly oldest son so I would like my best chance. I've never hunted them before myself but it's more important to me that they have a good time.

#3 ·
Well, I cant speak for that end of the lake. I hunt more around Niagara river and I dont hunt Ontario much simply because Lake Erie is closer :lol3: ...With that said you can expect to get all the typical big water species such as bluebills, redheads, cans....However from my experience with Ontario you will get more opportunites with goldeneyes, buffleheads and the main draw of Old squaw or newly renamed longtailed ducks...I also noticed there are quite a few more ringnecks flying around ontario that I dont really see on Erie. Of course there will be mallards and the grand finale of merganzers and the prized hoodies as well...One phenominon that I cant figure out is that erie doesnt get old squaws but ontario is loaded with them I find that strange :huh: ...Can anybody add any incite to that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.