.50 Cal Law proposed.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

.50 Cal Law proposed.

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:05 pm

Found this on the Federal Ammunition site. I don't know how old it is but here it is anyways.

NEW YORK'S FIFTY FIGHT . . . The ownership of a fifty caliber rifle would be outlawed in New York with passage of just one of many additional restrictions on firearms proposed in the legislature. The Fifty Caliber Institute encourages residents to contact legislators immediately to stop measures designed to outlaw the ownership of firearms based on their bore size.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:12 pm

A muzzleloader or the big *** rifle? I know a guy who hunts only w/ Muzzleloaders(deer,duck,turkey) I dont know who would own a 50 cal rifle anyway.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 pm

I don't know anyone who's got a 50cal either, but thats not the point. The ANTI's, whether they be anti-gun, or anti-hunting, start by outlawing equipment and practices on the fringes of a group, and slowly work towards taking away the rest. We can say that we don't have a need for a gun like that, and allow it to be outlawed, but eventually it'll get to the point where they are encroaching on your rights. England and Australia are good examples. Sportsman and Recreation shooters have to maintain a united front, or else anti's will divide, separate, and conquer.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby harvey1b » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 am

As far as I can tell the bill did not get through the NYS Senate. It was shot down somehwhere along the way (pun definately intended!)

Keep fighting the good fight!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks harvey on the up date, I've been looking for some kind of answer on this :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:18 pm

The law most likely would exclude muzzleloaders, as the ATF does not classify them in the same sense of the terms, as rifles. This is how you can buy a muzzleloader through the mail, i.e. Cabelas, etc. Technically they are classifies as Antiques, not firearms.
I think the law in NY would intend to ban larger caliber firearms that are not meant for sporting purposes, such as certain handguns that can be bought over .50 cal.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:34 pm

When they originally wrote it, it was worded in a way that would've made muzzleloaders illegal. It wasn't passed.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:00 pm

COOL :thumbsup: glad to hear that CLUTCHfan :getdown:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting