New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Postby Dep666 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:24 pm

I'll be up in your neck of the woods on Saturday. Mud Bay Cape Vincent area. I figured that Id try to wack a few ducks in the Am and release some pheasants in the afternoon. I belong to a licensed shooting preserve. I hear that the weather is supposed to be kind of crappy. Typical for duck season! Good luck and knock the hell out of them.
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks Mat, the weather was crappy, sorry I'm a little late getting back to ya. and we did knock the hell out of them, all three of us limited out. Mud Bay! know it well,so how did you boys do, leave any for me? Thanks for helping the son-in-law out. :thumbsup: I'm building a lay-out boat so I haven't been on the computer much, I'm going to post pic's when she's all done. If you hunt Brant let me know and I'll give you a shout when their heading your way. If you ever make it back up this way again give me another shout, maybe we can kill some birds togrther, good luck this season :salude:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Northern Zone opener

Postby Dep666 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:11 am

Besides dodging the usual openeing day idiots I was done and limited out by 0800. Woodys and Mallards. I only used a few woody dekes and 6 oversized mallards. There were a ton of geese flying, but unless you had a surface to air rocket then you were S.O.L. Nailed a few pheasants too. Didn't even have to release them, there were birds left over from another group of guys. Too bad there are so many coyotes up there, those pheasants would really flourish. Pumped for our opener on Oct 22. Should be interesting with this cold weather . Good luck with the layout boat....
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 pm

so you hunted the creek, cool, I glassed the boat today and limited out on green heads good day all around :toofunny: later man
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Mud Bay

Postby Dep666 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Give me a shout when the Blue Bills show up. (I think you guys call them Broad bills) I have a pretty good spot on Baird point to hunt. I'm sure it would be good especially if those guys on grenedier start pounding. Checked my field tonight....Man o Man. the farmer just cut it and it's loaded with honkers...I'll keep ya posted...Good luck my man!
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:03 pm

Hey, I am one of those guys out on Grenedier :toofunny: And if we hear anyone call a broadbill a bluebill, at the dinner, we look over our coffee cups, smerk and think "what city are they from" we also call them broadies. My hands shake just typing the word bluebill, but anyway they can show up any day, and when I know there down, so will you, consider it done my friend :salude: bluebills :toofunny: hehehehehe :yes:
State Moderator

Postby Dep666 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm

You guys hunt that Blind on the poit of Grenedier? Thats a great spot. Man does that water geet deep in a hurry there. Ive caught some of my biggest Northerns right at that spot. Also in the back of Fox Island near the reeds. I saw a blind in there too. That area is totally a smoke spot. Its just a pain in the ass to get up to the Islands especially now with a 2 month old at home. I WILL make a couple of more runs up there though. Maybey for musky, but definetly for Ducks Deer and Rabbits. By the way I have been renting out the Barracks Club for the past 12 years(Around the first week of June). Thats how I know the area.
If you guys are in the market to smack a few honkers let me know. I love to shoot them , but they taste like crapola! Anyway get after them "Broadies" ( that kills me) and rake them suckers when they have thier heads up. Quote from last late season......." Alright Rob, You da man....Here comes one right in....Nice Drake ....6 foot lead and keep that gun swinging......NOW ...Crush him...(Bang, Bang, Bang) GEez I said 6 ft......Nice shooting Mary!" :toofunny:
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:01 pm

Those blinds are hot spots fore sure, but as you know out there the wind is a big factor I prefer layouts and my boat blind, for the mobility you know. Its what I call being in the right church wrong pew, picking up and moving 100yrds will make all the difference.

We did that yesterday, one of my hunten buddies and I set up in a bay under some red oaks for woodies, they didn’t show but the green heads piled in on the other side of the bay. So I said to him, after I saw their pattern “were out of here, gather up the decoys, I’ll get the boat”. We moved to the other side and put the smack down on them green heads, we limited out in no time. Mobility, being willing to move to save the hunt. Your one of those guys that has no problem with that I bet, doing what ever it takes to save the hunt. You sound like the kind of guy that can hunt with me anytime.

By the way the coolest thing that happened, was when my buddy crippled a mallard; he lost it under some fallen trees at the waters edge. He was mad because the dog he normally uses loses them if they get to land (bad nose) I guess. I said watch Max, he ran to the trees, laid on his side and dug under the fallen tree to get to the bird, made the retrieve and came back covered in mud “ that’s my boy” There I go again pretending I’m Dennis Miller on a rant again

Thanks for the invite, you da man

Hold on, you mean to tell me you have a two mouth old and that baby’s not hunting yet? I thought you were a duck hunter? What are you waiting on; you know you could use another gun in the blind? :toofunny: By the way my wife’s a great baby sitter if you ever want to hunt with us, later man :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Dep666 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:06 pm

Man I'm kind of jealous that you get to do as much hunting as you do. I recently went from a 3-11pm shift (4 on ,2 off) to a MOn-Fri. weekends and Holidays off. MAN I miss those middle of the week hunts where there is no one around. Anyway send me an Email with you email adress on it. I have some pics that you might get a kick out of.
Good lookin out on the invite. Might have to give you a blast when I'm making another "up North " run. Drove by the Killing field tonight ... all I can say is ...." Its on".... As much as I like to shoot those Honkers and Puddlers , there is nothing like a big Knobby headed Whistler Locking in on the Dekes and Taking a full pattern of 3 1/2 inch #2s. ( I hate chasing those guys. Rakin' em on the water is not my cup of tea. Hell its almost like they have Kevlar vests on.) Anyway when those cold North winds bring the reds and the cans , and how could I forget the Broadies, thats when my blood starts pumpin.
Layout hunting is pretty fun I must admit. It sure is a wake up the firt time that tender boat pulls away from you and all you hear is the wind. I tell my buddies its a little nerve wracking. Heck you couldn't pull a toothpick out of my butt with a backhoe. :toofunny: Take care and good luck building that boat.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Hey Mat, you better sit down if you arn't already. Remember telling me to let know when the broadies come down, tighten your seatbelt. That north east wind brought some with it, I saw 5 flocks milling around tonight 1 buzzed the spread, :oops: :oops: didn't draw a feather now if you will exuse me I'm going to flog myself, :hammering: :hammering: MAN they were in the decoys GRRRRRRR bad 870 bad boy
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:24 pm

oh by the way my email is duckhunter4777@yahoo.com
three of us went tonight, shot 7 birds not so good, but lots of fun :thumbsup: later man
State Moderator

Postby Dep666 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:39 pm

Gee let me think....North/North East wind 30 mph, colder than a well digger's A.s.s. .....THATS DUCK HUNTIN" WEATHER! I don't think I can stand it...The season can't open fast enough. I haven't been by the lake in a couple of days , but I'm sure there are some divers down. I saw a couple of rafts of ringnecks on a pond near Lake Ontario. Those scoters and Brant are probably on thier way. Thanks for the heads up on the Broadies.....Almost makes me re-think our openeing day strategy for next Saturday. Keep working on that Layout and crack a few SCAUP for me... :toofunny:
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:56 pm

consider it done :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Oh by the way, the layout is coming along fine I finished up the glass today. All that’s left is the rub rail, hardware and paint and she’s good to go.

Remember you spoke of those opening day idiots. Here’s one for ya, hot off the press. Oct 8th opening morning, four misplaced deer hunters tried their hands at duck hunting.
At the end of the mornings hunt they shot 15 ducks, thing is, they shot 8 box’s of shells to get that many, that’s right Mat two box's short of a case, ON OPENING MORNING. :toofunny:

I think their strategy was to fill the sky with enough steel in hopes that something would fly into it I guess it worked some what. Or they where graduates of Iraqis air defense school, thank God deer season opened this week end.

Hold on, did you say "crack a few SCAUP for me" SCAUP I can't FREAKING beleive it
it's bad enough you boys call them bluebills, but SCAUP, say it isn't so Mat say it isn't so
Laterman :toofunny:
State Moderator

Postby Dep666 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:29 pm

LOL Those guys must live by the old term..." Spray and pray". There are a bunch of those guys who hunt some of the bays by me. It's very comical. By the way I e-mailed ya a few pics tonight. Mostly duck mounts. That Fox and Greenwing is probably my favorite. The pic of me and my two buddies was last year durring our split season. What a day.Ice storm in the Am....then 50 degrees by 0900, and then windy and freezin. The dog didn't mind , hell all he cared about was "Gettin dem birds". The guy on the left side of the pic shot 2 boxes of shells and got 1, thats right 1, bird. Some people get buck fever, I guess he gets " Broadie fever." The other guy is my taxidermist. Probably not a great move bringing him..." You know Matt, That whistler would look great on the wall banking to the right.......$$$$$$." Funny how things happen that way.......Take care and shoot straight
Dep666
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting