public land in north carolina

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

public land in north carolina

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:46 pm

I am woundering if anybody would be willing to share information on where some public land is in north carolina that I could come up and hunt a weekend or two this year.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

What ya lookin'

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:06 am

Do you have a boat or are you looking for walk-in access? You can hunt from a boat on Harris Lake, Jordan Lake, and Falls Lake, not to mention the coastal areas. If you are looking for walk-in access, its much harder to come by. Most all the gamelands have places where you can walk-in to hunt. The problem is that most of the places that are "easy access" have hunters in them at 3am. Where I hunt on Falls Lake gameland, can pretty much only be accessed by driving/walking through private property. Those are the best areas, but again, hard to come by. Another great option is if you have a canoe, you can find alot of good public land spots that are not over-run with other hunters.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

boat

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:06 pm

I have a 16 ft jon boat, so i was woundering about the places you have to have a boat to access.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 pm

I have heard Shearin Harris lake usually holds alot of birds, though I've never hunted it. Falls and Jordan Lakes also have some birds. All three of these are public access areas that I know about. Go on the ncwrc website and you can find maps showing the boat ramps, etc.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Brooks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Where is Jordan lake? Do they ever have any geese there?
Brooks
hunter

Postby Gaston » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:37 am

Jorden is a little west of Raleigh. No need to bring decoys for any geese, just stop at a store on the way up and get a couple loafs of bread. That will do just fine. :yes:
Let me show you how to kill um...
Gaston
hunter

Postby Brooks » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:10 pm

Do you need a special permit for it, or can you just go out there? I am new to NC and I don't know much about all of this.
Brooks
hunter

Postby Gaston » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 pm

I went to grad school at NCSU and lived in Raleigh for years and hunted out there some. Used to could hunt on Jordan on like Mon, Wed, and Sat and Harris on Tues, Thurs, Sat or something like that. Not sure if that is still the case, only hunt here on the home front and at the coast some now.
Let me show you how to kill um...
Gaston
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting