OBSERVATION FROM THE COAST

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

OBSERVATION FROM THE COAST

Postby Paul26 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

I hunted big water on the coast today. We saw almost no bbills. Three or four groups of 20-30 birds, up high and flying fast. But no clouds of 100's/1000's as we normally see this time of the year.

I am starting to think we have been snake-bitten this year for scaup. Previous to this weather, it never got cold (and stayed cold) up in the Chesapeake. Then when this weather hit, it hit us at the same time it hit the North.......it's as cold here as it is up there (almost).

I think the birds either (1) left us after 3 straight nights in the 20's, or (2) just kept flying south last full moon and are hanging out in the Keys!

Kind of like arguing about BCS rankings.......endless and pointless.....but fun

P26
Paul26
hunter

Re: OBSERVATION FROM THE COAST

Postby nclonewolf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:32 pm

I believe you are on to something because there just simply is no ducks in NC at least like there should be this time of year.
nclonewolf
hunter

Postby Treyd7723 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

I beleive with all the refuges in the central flyway thats where alot of our eastern flyway ducks have went
Treyd7723
hunter

Postby usmchunter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 pm

my partner talked to a GW and was told that due to the increased amounts of rain this year it reduced the salinity in the waters thereby keeping the mussels and other prefered food sources out of the rivers thus the scaup has not had a reason to hang out....seems plausible.

We are seeing some but nowhere near what I was seeing at this time last year. Still a rookie so I don't have much experience to draw from.
usmchunter
hunter

Postby Treyd7723 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Very plausible , but Ive seen no shortage of mussels on the oysters Im getting at all the shallow water rocks I work
Treyd7723
hunter

Postby duckwatcher172 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:08 pm

I would have to agree the ducks are not here like last year, went to a spot thurs. to scout and there are useally thousands of ducks from bb to ruddy ducks and did not see any thing very upset
duckwatcher172
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 pm

I got a very promising report from a buddy today, I'm going to check it out tomorrow I hope it's accurate
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby riptide420 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 pm

I hunted Pamlico River Saterday..one flight of good ducks around sunrise then...nothing but buffleheads untill around 11:30 or so the wind picked up and blew about 20 knots.. my deke's where already frozen with about a half inch of ice on their heads they were drifting with the high winds..Hunting by myself I got concerned I wouldn't get back to my boat so after getting my boat I started picking up floaters...I had around 200 BB's trying to light on me while I was standing out their...so i concidered what are the chances of that happening again?? so I kept pulling decoys again another flock of about 30 tried working to the decoys so I said screw it tied the boat up to the blind and got back in had 3 more flights light right to my remaining decoys and seen several hundred more flying during the gale...got my limit!! Then the weather got really pretty again..strange day but yeah there are plenty of bluebills on the river and they were the greaters too...I believe these to be new birds the way they worked right to the decoys not box shy at all!! hope this info helps..
riptide420
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:55 pm

usmchunter wrote:my partner talked to a GW and was told that due to the increased amounts of rain this year it reduced the salinity in the waters thereby keeping the mussels and other prefered food sources out of the rivers thus the scaup has not had a reason to hang out....seems plausible.

We are seeing some but nowhere near what I was seeing at this time last year. Still a rookie so I don't have much experience to draw from.

If your partner knew anything at all he would have had his Federal stamp ATTACHED to his license, I don't know if I would give his conversation to much plausibility. This is a guy that would rather hunt the river for 2 birds without the hassle of other hunters over hunting an impoundment that is covered up in yahoos and no birds. You probably need to choose your partners with a little more care.

:lol3:
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby Average Joe » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:16 pm

If your partner knew anything at all he would have had his Federal stamp ATTACHED to his license

Here it is straight from the Regs (keys words are "on your person"):
Federal Duck Stamp - In addition to the North Carolina waterfowl privilege, waterfowl hunters 16 years of age and older are required to carry on their person the federal duck stamp, signed in ink across the face.

The Stamp its self:
If applicable: sign, peel and attach to hunting license

For clarification (for those GOV contractor types :banana: ) it would have to say it must be attached in the regs for it to be applicable. This also came from the same GW that told me I have to buy multiple "federal" stamps to hunt different states so I don't think he is fully spun up on duck regs.
This is a guy that would rather hunt the river without the hassle of other hunters over hunting an impoundment that is covered up in yahoos and no birds.
:huh: sounds like an easy decision

And yes I would rather "enjoy" hunting a river where I have taken home more birds in my past two trips then we have as a group hunting that lovely impound. Gets frustrating when 10 mins before LST some Duck Commander starts blowing his party kazoo and pushes out 2-600 birds which never return. Especially when I had to get up at 1 A.M. to get to a gate by 3:20 just to have someone show up at 3:50 come in cut in front of me and enter the impound illegally before 4 or better yet come in 15 mins before LST and try setting up. As for the salinity issue I have also heard a similar complaint from local fishermen that the rain flushed the river so bad that all of the bait pushed out into the ICW and screwed everything up. Like I said before its something I heard that sounds legitimate.
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Postby usmchunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:07 pm

well, slo-mo-jo hit the stamp issue before I could.

As for the salinity, I heard pretty much the exact opposite last year when there was no rain and I saw more ducks than I ever dreamed possible.

And, as for choosing my partners with better care...you are right, I do :eek: :eek:
usmchunter
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm

usmchunter: Funny, I passed that salinity observation on to Mr Walters, the senior Base Game Warden, about 7 years ago! I keep hearing it from people who speak to GW's near Lejeune!

I didn't make it up: I was told this by some gray-beards from Sneads Ferry.

For what it's worth: a retired Gy who crabs year-around says it's BS. He works around Courthouse Bay and says rain has no impact on the tiny clam/muscle population in the mud.

But.........fisherman defintitely say rain flushes the specks out of the rivers and pushes them into the sounds. So who knows.

I still think this year we have just been snake biten by the weather.

Paul
Paul26
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Paul26 wrote:usmchunter: Funny, I passed that salinity observation on to Mr Walters, the senior Base Game Warden, about 7 years ago! I keep hearing it from people who speak to GW's near Lejeune!

I didn't make it up: I was told this by some gray-beards from Sneads Ferry.

For what it's worth: a retired Gy who crabs year-around says it's BS. He works around Courthouse Bay and says rain has no impact on the tiny clam/muscle population in the mud.

But.........fisherman defintitely say rain flushes the specks out of the rivers and pushes them into the sounds. So who knows.

I still think this year we have just been snake biten by the weather.

Paul

Rain don't flush clams/mussels out. Might kill them, though, if the water got sweet enough long enough. Rain will definitely flush specks out.

As for the duck stamp thing, there is no FEDERAL requirement for it to be attached to anything. NC also does not require it to be attached to your license. There are some states that DO require it be attached. Don't know how they handle OOSers who have theirs attached to their OOS licenses.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby seacern » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

I ran across this thread while doing a little research. Who would have thought that a gill net set in coastal waters would kill 300 bluebills per day.

http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/ ... s_1108.pdf

You might look at this FB page, if you haven't already- https://www.facebook.com/ncfisherymanagementandyou

You might sign this petition, if you haven't already-

https://www.change.org/petitions/north- ... nets-in-nc

https://www.facebook.com/ncfisherymanagementandyou#!/photo.php?fbid=1460993980799103&set=o.179504535592128&type=1&theater
seacern
hunter

Postby seacern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:42 am

The interest on this board is fantastic. In seventeen hours, my post above has been viewed 135-times. :thumbsup: I hope the information made some of you as mad as it made me.

I've been duck hunting since the early 70's. I can remember when you could shoot your full limit as Bluebills + two additional bonus Bluebills. It made for a great hunt on the Neuse and Pamlico, not only a fun hunt but one you could justify. It's hard to get a excited about a two blackhead limit and watching buffleheads the rest of the day.

There are a few of us trying to make a difference for the trout, drum and stripers. All three are supposed to be a bycatch only fishery to prevent regulatory discards. Gill netters are specifically targeting those species. Did you know that almost 90% of all stripers caught in the Pamlico River, Neuse River and Pamlico Sound are of hatchery origin. :mad: Our sportsman's tax dollars, intended to support recreational resource enhancement, are being spent to stock stripers that the commercial gill netters are catching and selling for profit. This fact has been confirmed by both an ECU study and the a WRC study.

What I didn't know, until the other night, is those same netters are killing thousands of Bluebills in the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers and the Pamlico Sound.

If improving recreational fishing and hunting resources is important to you, please do sign this petition. 5,000 signatures will make a huge difference in Raleigh.

Thanks
seacern
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm

seacern wrote:
What I didn't know, until the other night, is those same netters are killing thousands of Bluebills in the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers and the Pamlico Sound.

I'm calling BS. Let's see the proof. If fishermen were killing migratory birds as you claim, the feds would be all over it. If you want to ban nets, that's fine...but don't start making crap up to try and sell the public on it.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm

0.15 birds a kilometer. Prob a cripple who dove to get away and got stuck. Minute numbers. If it was a big deal they would be for sure. Agree with taxi 110%
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby seacern » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Boys, I linked the studies. Making it up? Deny, Deflect,Defend, Delay are commercial fishing practices to support unsustainable practices. Here is a link to the USFWS that shows similar concerns about gill nets and migratory birds, you know the FWS is the same crowd that manages waterfowl hunting, right?

http://www.fws.gov/raleigh/pdfs/Gill_Ne ... t_Bird.pdf
seacern
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm

seacern wrote:Boys, I linked the studies. Making it up? Deny, Deflect,Defend, Delay are commercial fishing practices to support unsustainable practices. Here is a link to the USFWS that shows similar concerns about gill nets and migratory birds, you know the FWS is the same crowd that manages waterfowl hunting, right?

<a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.fws.gov/raleigh/pdfs/Gill_Net_Fact_Sheet_Bird.pdf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>fws</span><span>.</span><span>gov</span><span>/</span><span>raleigh</span><span>/</span><span>pdfs</span><span>/</span><span>Gill</span><span>_</span><span>Net</span><span>_</span><span>Fact</span><span>_</span><span>Sheet</span><span>_</span><span>Bird</span><span>.</span><span>pdf</span></a>
You linked a article by American Bird Conservancy, hardly what one would consider a scientific study.

If you really want to debate fisheries management on here just let me know but keep in mind you can't control or censor the comments like yall do on NCFMY. Post another stupid comment with no facts to back it up and let's get this ball rolling.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby seacern » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Are you Denying the the validity of a direct quote that three hundred scaup were caught in a Pamlico Sound estuary in one night in one gillnet? Are you Defecting the concern of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service? Are you Defending these facts as acceptable?

Did you know that during December and January duck season that gillnets are primarily set for speckle trout and stripers? Did you know that speckle trout are listed as depleted on the last NCDMF stock status and have been over-fished for eighteen years? Did you know the Director of the DMF shut down the speckle trout fishery until June due to concern over cold stun events and poor stock levels? Did you know that almost 90% of all inland stripers caught and sold commercially can be traced back to hatchery raised fish per both ECU and NCWRC studies? Do you know that those hatchery raised fish are a put and take fishery intended to enhance recreational opportunities and paid for solely by recreational taxes and fees?

Commercial fisherman contribute about $72-million direct dollars to NC's economy. Recreational fisheries contribute about $950-million. NC's once great inshore recreational fishery has been killed by unsustainable commercial fishing practices. That is well documented. I just didn't know that it had also impacted our once great diver hunting.
seacern
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Are you Denying the the validity of a direct quote that three hundred scaup were caught in a Pamlico Sound estuary in one night in one gillnet?
A "he said, she said" reference in an article published by a "conservation" group is not a direct quote.
Are you Defecting the concern of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service? Are you Defending these facts as acceptable?
What "facts", you haven't provided any. You made a statement that "thousands of ducks" with no facts to back it up.

Did you know that during December and January duck season that gillnets are primarily set for speckle trout and stripers?
That's news to me, I don't catch many trout or many rockfish and I fish gillnets for a living.
Did you know that speckle trout are listed as depleted on the last NCDMF stock status and have been over-fished for eighteen years?
Did you know the reason they have been listed as overfished for 18 years is because cold-stun mortality is INCLUDED IN FISHING MORTALITY.
Did you know the Director of the DMF shut down the speckle trout fishery until June due to concern over cold stun events and poor stock levels?
Did you know the reason for the closure is to allow the fish that surivved the freeze to spawn a few times before they can be caught in an effort to help the population rebound from a event caused by mother nature?
Did you know that almost 90% of all inland stripers caught and sold commercially can be traced back to hatchery raised fish per both ECU and NCWRC studies?Do you know that those hatchery raised fish are a put and take fishery intended to enhance recreational opportunities and paid for solely by recreational taxes and fees?
Did you know.........oh wait of course you didn't or did you just lie? You wouldn't lie would you? The Albemarle/Roanoke rockfish don't fall into the information you just listed. They are also "inland" and a much larger percentage of the rockfish taken inside. Your 90% internal waters is BS.

I just didn't know that it had also impacted our once great diver hunting.
What caused the decline in all the other species of ducks? I guess you would like to blame NC gillnets for the population decrease in the other flyways as well?

Let's be honest, you came on here to try and rally more support for cause. You've used pictures of turtles, dolphins, whales, seals and other critters, from God only knows where and how old some of them are, in an attempt to gain the support of hugger groups. You all lost a lot of support in doing so. You don't care about any of the above, you posted the true agenda in your previous comment...........It's all about yall wanting sole access to the fish.
seacern wrote:. There are a few of us trying to make a difference for the trout, drum and stripers. All three are supposed to be a bycatch only fishery to prevent regulatory discards. Gill netters are specifically targeting those species.
Dang man, would you stop telling lies. There's nothing anywhere, legal or otherwise that states speckled trout are a bycatch only fishery. There is a size limit and number of fish limit when the season is open, nothing else.

Make a difference for the trout, drum and stripers
Is there a biological reason only recreational fishermen should be allowed to harvest them?

You see, in just the few post you've made, you've proven that you can't focus on telling the lies without letting your emotions show the true agenda. We can keep going if you want though, it's up to you.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Just to let yall know what kind of people we are dealing with, the "NCFMY"(seacern and company).....................A facebook page was setup a couple of days ago to allow both recreational fishermen and commercial fishermen, as well as any other person that wanted to join in, to discuss fisheries management. The only rule was to be civil. The group was open, all could see it and anyone could add anyone they wanted to the group. This crowd unleashed a "click farm" on the group, over 4,000 fake accounts to disrupt the civil discussions that were being had. Wonder if that's the same way their page went from 1,500 likes to over 5,000 in less than a day?
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 pm

BTW, this guy is one of the guys that created their page, wonder when he started loving dolphins? Is it when he found out he could use them to further his agenda? Or does even really care about dolphins?

Breadman porpoise season.PNG
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Nothing is safe if it messes with "THEIR" red drum!
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby seacern » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:44 am

Typical let the LOUDEST guy in the room get his way. It's how the commercial fishing sector has gotten it's way for years at AC and MFC meetings.

There is a silent majority, who once they fully understand the issues will demand change.

See my post above clearly stating that the studies were for the Neuse/Pamlico/Tar system, the CSMA.

Here is the link to one of those studies http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/listing.aspx?id=14352
seacern
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting