OBSERVATION FROM THE COAST

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: OBSERVATION FROM THE COAST

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 am

seacern wrote:Typical let the LOUDEST guy in the room get his way. It's how the commercial fishing sector has gotten it's way for years at AC and MFC meetings.

There is a silent majority, who once they fully understand the issues will demand change.

See my post above clearly stating that the studies were for the Neuse/Pamlico/Tar system, the CSMA.

Here is the link to one of those studies <a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/listing.aspx?id=14352" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>libres</span><span>.</span><span>uncg</span><span>.</span><span>edu</span><span>/</span><span>ir</span><span>/</span><span>listing</span><span>.</span><span>aspx</span><span>?</span><span>id</span><span>=</span><span>14352</span></a>
Then why did you imply that 90% of ALL inland stripers fell into that category?

Your silent majority consist of about 20 or 30 people that post on fake accounts on a facebook page. You'll post anything, and I do mean anything, lies, misinformation, propaganda............it doesn't matter, if you think it will further your agenda. You don't allow people using their real name to comment on that page if they disagree with you. Any idea how many recreation fishermen, guides and charter fishermen yall have deleted and blocked? Your turning your own supporters against you. Attacking recreational fishermen on the internet was your first mistake, involving the hugger groups was your second.

Why don't yall use your real names, are you to ashamed of your actions to associate your name with them?
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby seacern » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:58 pm

NCBH, you're so wrong it would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. Me, Seacern, the internet guru behind all things against commercial fishing. I'd be honored, but for the source. Seriously, I've been on this site since 2009 with 12 posts. You've been on this site since 2010 with over 3000 posts. Son, if you haven't made your point by now, you sure won't by attacking me with unfounded accusations.

I'm no more involved with the FB page that has your panties all in a wad than I'm involved with this site, a poster of opinion supported by fact.

Those FB guys don't have to make stuff up or find photos out of state. The majority of the photos on that page were harvested right off the personal FB pages of eastern NC commercial fishermen. "Hey, watch this" is alive and well in the commercial fishing community.

You can have the last word. I've shared the information that is important. Arguing on the internet isn't something a guy with 12 posts to his name does.
seacern
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 pm

seacern wrote:NCBH, you're so wrong it would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. Me, Seacern, the internet guru behind all things against commercial fishing. I'd be honored, but for the source. Seriously, I've been on this site since 2009 with 12 posts. You've been on this site since 2010 with over 3000 posts. Son, if you haven't made your point by now, you sure won't by attacking me with unfounded accusations.

I'm no more involved with the FB page that has your panties all in a wad than I'm involved with this site, a poster of opinion supported by fact.

Those FB guys don't have to make stuff up or find photos out of state. The majority of the photos on that page were harvested right off the personal FB pages of eastern NC commercial fishermen. "Hey, watch this" is alive and well in the commercial fishing community.

You can have the last word. I've shared the information that is important. Arguing on the internet isn't something a guy with 12 posts to his name does.
The only fact you've proven in your last 5 or 6 post, is that you are a habitual liar.

Characteristics of a Habitual Liar

Gives Unnecessary Explanations: A habitual liar offers tons of explanations when asked a question. When asked a particular question, such a liar may fumble around and speak out irrelevant details. This is done in an attempt to cover up for certain lies that did not add up and revealed the flaw in his story. A liar in his/her act to cover up the distorted account of the tale may blabber details, which are not even connected to the main question being asked. Liars in this case, often end up avoiding direct questions as well and often beat around the bush!

"Funny, if it wasn't so sad".............if you only knew :lol3:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:47 pm

seacern,

You claim to be part of a "silent majority" but I personally believe that 99% of the folks in this state could care less about the issue. The hard truth that your side must face is that most North Carolinians want to be able to go to their local seafood restaurant or market and purchase a quality fish dinner for themselves and their families at the best possible price. They could care less whether or not you catch a limit each time you go fishing.

Your claim that our diver numbers have been devastated by gill netting simply is not substantiated. I did not see in any of the documents you posted where thousands of scaup were being killed with gill nets. I know commercial fishermen. IF one of them had caught 300 scaup in a single night, he would have taken them from his nets, cleaned them, and they would have served as food for himself, his family, and his neighbors. The one thing he absolutely would NOT have done is spout his mouth off about it to a group that is trying to take away his livelihood. If that many scaup were being killed, the FEDS would not allow the practice to continue.

Further, if you are really serious about the status of the fishery and conservation, surely you will support my initiative to close all inshore waters to all fishing activities (commercial and recreational) for a minimum period of 5 years to allow the fishery to recover. If you don't support that, you need to shut your mouth. Otherwise, it is clear that your argument focuses on allocation of the resource instead of conservation of it.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby seacern » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Taximan- I believe in both allocation and conservation. Red Drum, Speckle Trout and inland Striped Bass should be allocated to the recreational sector, 100%. They should be managed for that recreational fishery. If management needs dictate shutting a fishery down, then so be it.

Being able to buy seafood, now that's funny. 91% of all seafood consumed in the US is of imported origin.

http://www.fishwatch.gov/farmed_seafood ... the_us.htm

Even coastal NC is getting in on the import action. http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news ... 963f4.html

You boys are a real brain trust for the ENC commercial fishing industry. In five years, lets see how things have worked out.

Please don't waste your time posting the usual commercial fishing retorts about import issues like taste, safety, quality, etc. Facts are facts. The American people are voting with their wallet and they have voted for $2 shrimp and tilapia. The master of the commercial fishing plantation in ENC even imports seafood, check out the products list at Wanchese Fish Company.

Y'all boys have a good day.

"I know commercial fishermen. IF one of them had caught 300 scaup in a single night, he would have taken them from his nets, cleaned them, and they would have served as food for himself, his family, and his neighbors. The one thing he absolutely would NOT have done is spout his mouth off about it to a group that is trying to take away his livelihood. If that many scaup were being killed, the FEDS would not allow the practice to continue." Mr. Taxidermist

I couldn't have made a better point!
seacern
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

seacern wrote:Taximan- I believe in both allocation and conservation. Red Drum, Speckle Trout and inland Striped Bass should be allocated to the recreational sector, 100%. They should be managed for that recreational fishery. If management needs dictate shutting a fishery down, then so be it.

Being able to buy seafood, now that's funny. 91% of all seafood consumed in the US is of imported origin.

The imported seafood is of poorer quality on average than fresh, local seafood. While there are many folks who don't pay attention, many of us do. I can guarantee that in a blind taste test nearly 100% of those who participate will pick fresh NC seafood over imported junk. (See, I can make up studies and statistics also).

Your first statement really sums up the attitude of you and your ilk. You all believe that you own the water and everything in it. Y'all complain about crab pots being in your way and having to navigate around pound nets, even though they are the least "destructive" fishing methods. You hate gill nets and purse seins because they "catch all your fish". Then, y'all complain about trawling claiming that it destroys the sound, etc. Tell the truth, your group is more about banning any and all commercial fishing than about conserving anything...and the only reason is so that you can go out on Saturday and Sunday and catch a limit of fish without really having to "work for it". Of course, y'all don't mind buying oysters from commercial fishermen because you're too lazy to work a set of oyster tongs and that really isn't "fun".

What gives recreational anglers the right to 100% of the resource? Don't commercial fishermen pay taxes and license fees in this state, also? The answer is yes, and they pay a heck of a lot more to fish than weekend anglers ($15 vs several hundred per year for licenses alone). That is an elitist attitude to believe that recreational fishermen own the resource and it really does nothing to advance your cause with the everyday Joe who could careless anyway.

Seacern, I don't know what you do for a living, but my hope is that someday, someone will try to take away your means of producing income so that they can enjoy their recreation. Then, you'll know how the commercial fishermen feel. I for one am thankful for the commercial fishing industry in this state. It keeps a lot of folks employed and I personally love fresh flounder, shrimp, crabs, etc. If all I can get is an imported shrimp, I'll quit eating them. They taste like crap....and tilapia is about as tastless as anything I've ever put in my mouth. It doesn't hold a candle to one of those fat fall spots.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Mr. Taxidermist wrote:
seacern wrote:Taximan- I believe in both allocation and conservation. Red Drum, Speckle Trout and inland Striped Bass should be allocated to the recreational sector, 100%. They should be managed for that recreational fishery. If management needs dictate shutting a fishery down, then so be it.

The imported seafood is of poorer quality on average than fresh, local seafood. While there are many folks who don't pay attention, many of us do. I can guarantee that in a blind taste test nearly 100% of those who participate will pick fresh NC seafood over imported junk. (See, I can make up studies and statistics also).

Your first statement really sums up the attitude of you and your ilk. You all believe that you own the water and everything in it. Y'all complain about crab pots being in your way and having to navigate around pound nets, even though they are the least "destructive" fishing methods. You hate gill nets and purse seins because they "catch all your fish". Then, y'all complain about trawling claiming that it destroys the sound, etc. Tell the truth, your group is more about banning any and all commercial fishing than about conserving anything...and the only reason is so that you can go out on Saturday and Sunday and catch a limit of fish without really having to "work for it". Of course, y'all don't mind buying oysters from commercial fishermen because you're too lazy to work a set of oyster tongs and that really isn't "fun".

What gives recreational anglers the right to 100% of the resource? Don't commercial fishermen pay taxes and license fees in this state, also? The answer is yes, and they pay a heck of a lot more to fish than weekend anglers ($15 vs several hundred per year for licenses alone). That is an elitist attitude to believe that recreational fishermen own the resource and it really does nothing to advance your cause with the everyday Joe who could careless anyway.

Seacern, I don't know what you do for a living, but my hope is that someday, someone will try to take away your means of producing income so that they can enjoy their recreation. Then, you'll know how the commercial fishermen feel. I for one am thankful for the commercial fishing industry in this state. It keeps a lot of folks employed and I personally love fresh flounder, shrimp, crabs, etc. If all I can get is an imported shrimp, I'll quit eating them. They taste like crap....and tilapia is about as tastless as anything I've ever put in my mouth. It doesn't hold a candle to one of those fat fall spots.

Mr T for president ;)

Why can't we all get along? I mean that too. We should be working together, not against one another and the goal should be to do what is best for the resource.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby seacern » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Fat fall spots...Funny you should mention those. What happened to them? What happened to those two pound red fin croakers? All of those pretty gray trout, where are they? Where are the flounder?

You may not like my statistics, but they are all real numbers straight from the Division of Marine Fisheries.

Spot landings (commercial harvest) are at historical lows, down from over 7-million pounds per year to less 500,000 pounds per year, a 93% decline. The huge recreational fall spot runs on the ocean piers are no more.

Croaker landings (commercial harvest) are at historical lows, down from 21-million pounds to 3-million pounds, an 86% decline.

Gray trout are listed as severely depleted with a spawning stock biomass so low that scientists say a recovery might not be possible. A once thriving recreational fishery in the Pamlico Sound has now been reduced to a recreational bag limit of one fish. A fish anglers would gladly give back to the resource, but managers say one fish doesn't matter.

Blue crab commercial harvest is near an all time low, down from a harvest high of 60-million pounds to a current average harvest size of about 28-million pounds.

What is the common denominator for all four of those species? They all use the Pamlico Sound as their Primary Nursery and Secondary Nursery areas.

Based on DMF data, a conservative bycatch ratio for the Pamlico Sound shrimp trawl operations is 3.4 to 4.0 pounds of bycatch per pound of landed shrimp. Using a 3.7 bycatch ratio, the five year annual average for the Pamlico Sound is 16.6-million pounds of bycatch. The 2008 high landing year produced 24.4-million pounds of Pamlico Sound bycatch.

Spot, croaker, gray trout and blue crab all are in the top number of species wasted as bycatch. Spot is #1. Croaker is #2.

Using the total averages from the Kevin Brown study, a typical shrimp trawl haul-back will contain 33% croaker, 13% spot and 7% gray trout by weight. The individual number of croaker per pound of croaker bycatch was 20-juveniles, spot was 26-juveniles and gray trout was 27-juveniles.

The five year average is 110-million croaker killed annually. In 2008, 161-million croakers were killed.

The five year average is 56-million spot killed annually. In 2008, 82-million spot were killed.

The five year average is 31-million gray trout killed annually. In 2008, 46-million gray trout were killed.

The total for those three species is 197-million juvenile finfish killed annually for five years with 289-million killed in 2008.

Let's put the gray trout numbers in perspective. Weakfish stock status is listed as depleted. Stock biomass is at an all-time record low. In 2008, the ASFMC estimated the total east coast spawning stock biomass to be 4.5-million pounds. During that 2008 shrimp season, Pamlico Sound trawlers killed 1.7-million pounds of juvenile weakfish or 46-millon individual juvenile gray trout. A gray trout becomes sexually mature at about one year of age and 3/4 of a pound in weight. If only 5% of those 46-million juveniles killed as shrimp trawl bycatch made it to sexual maturity, the spawning stock biomass would have increased by 1.7-million pounds or 38% in one year. By eliminating trawling bycatch, stock recovery potential is huge. What if 10% made it to sexual maturity versus dying as bycatch!

If a picture says a 1000 words, this video should yell at the top of its lungs a million words. This is Bycatch to be pushed back dead. This video was taken by an employee of the trawl boat and posted on his Facebook page. The still photo shots were added in to show the actual boat in the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl4GSZLqGU

At the February MFC meeting, based on recommendations from DMF Director Daniel and his staff, the commission voted to study the bycatch issue for the next four years, a vote of status quo. During those four years- 3/4 to 1.2 billion juvenile croaker, spot and gray trout will die as shrimp trawl bycatch.

Trawling in our critical habitat nursery areas has to stop! Please speak up, let Governor McCroy, Representative Thom Tillis, Senator Phil Berger and your local representatives know that you demand change.

As far as gamefish for Speckle Trout, Red Drum and inland Striped Bass, In 2012 anglers in North Carolina took 1.4 million trips that generated $131.4 million in total sales , $42.6 million in income and supported 1,267 jobs while fishing for those three species. Across all commercial seafood sectors, estuarine striped bass, red drum and spotted seatrout supported 67 jobs and generated $3.3 million in total sales and $1.1 million in income for the state of North Carolina. Almost half of all the jobs in the seafood sector arise out of the retail sector. Because restaurants and markets will readily substitute for other fish species, it is unlikely that gamefish status will impact retail or wholesale sectors at all. Only six fishermen caught more than $10,000 worth of these three species in 2012 indicating that very few individuals depend on these species to make their living. The highest and best use of this public trust resource is gamefish.

I support a ban on gill nets within NC waters and a ban on inshore trawling to allow our recreationally and commercially important finfish species to recover from years of unsustainable fishery practices and gear. If you support the same, please send those emails, write and call Governor McCroy, Representative Thom Tillis, Senator Phil Berger and your local representatives.
Last edited by seacern on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
seacern
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 am

I am for a happy medium between commercial and recreational interesest with the conservation of the ecosystem as the most important point. That being said, bycatch by gill nets and especially shrimp trawling is a little excessive. It needs to be curbed. The amount of bycatch in shrimp trawling for each pound of shrimp is bad. The other damages it does to the sea floor is bad as well. Gill net bycatch isnt as bad(quantity of bycacth) but it is completely indiscriminate and can and does easily kill many undesired species, some of which may be threatened. Ive seen mullet netters throwing away dead puppy drum and specks. I have seen tons of shrimp bycacth thrown overboard for a few pounds of shrimp. I dont want to see people lose there jobs, but there needs to be measure to control this.

Bycatch is just a fancy word for waste.
Last edited by KAhunter on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:09 am

I'm not even going to address the rest of your nonsense for now, maybe later if you keep it up. I thought you were done? It's beating a dead horse, you post lies and information taken out of context(half truths), someone corrects them, you tell a different lie...........Sounds an awful lot like deflection, but you wouldn't do that would you? You guys that repeat the same BS over and over in the echo-chambers like ncwaterman.com and NCFMY have trouble debating outside of forums that your folks control and censor.

But for my amusement and because I just happen to have the participant, effort and landing data chart used in the Blue Crab FMP saved on my computer.
seacern wrote:Blue crab commercial harvest is near an all time low, down from a harvest high of 60-million pounds to a current average harvest size of about 28-million pounds.

Pump the brakes, let's put this in context......less than half the fishermen/boats(participants include crew), half the effort/trips and about half the crabs. What's changed? Can you at least make one post without taking something out of context or claiming lies and propaganda as fact?

Crab fishery numbers.PNG
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:30 am

Blah...Blah.....Blah....Blah. How do they come up with these numbers? My wife's uncle said he's never seen a fisheries biologist on the back of his trawler or on the back of the trawler of anyone he knows. I've been fishing with him on a number of occasions and I can tell you that we got no where even close to the amount of bycatch that was in that video.

I will be writing to our elected officials. I will let them know that one thing that is more "endangered" than our fishery is the commercial fisherman himself. They are damn near extinct.

BTW, the fall spots haven't gone anywhere. We still catch plenty of them every year....in a gill net. The commercial harvest is down because at $0.25 (or less) per pound it is hard to pay your gas bill and make any money on them. You can expect to see greater declines in the commercial harvest because so many of the commercial fishermen are calling it quits. The old timers are dying off or at least getting too old to fish and the younger generation is starting to see the value of education and making a living at something where they don't have a bunch of environmental whackos trying to put them out of a job. Those guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s are more and more leaving the commercial fishing trade in favor of jobs up north on dredges or down south working the oil rigs, etc. I suspect with the continuing flood of cheap (nasty) imported seafood, you'll see the large commercial operations give up fishing and focus more on the distribution of those imports. In other words, your problem will most likely take care of itself over time.

I do find it somewhat interesting that the net banning crowd rarely mentions any other reasons for the decline in our fisheries other than commercial harvest. I'm sure coastal development, pollution, runoff from farming operations, natural changes in weather patterns, population growth, overharvest by recreational anglers, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with it....its all those damn commercial fishermen's fault.

Why don't you tell everybody who really catches the majority of the fish? In 2012 recreational anglers harvested 238,312 lb of Red Drum vs the commercial harvest of 66,519 lb. That same year, commercial fishermen harvested 265,016 lb of spotted seatrout versus the 817,451 lb harvested by recreational anglers. In other words, of the species you listed, recreational anglers take 3-4 times as many of those fish as commercial fishermen. So, who is depleting the stocks again?
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby seacern » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:13 am

Bobblehead, in case you need help understanding, and I'm typing this real slow, I'm not on here to debate.

From the NCDMF:
Stock Status – Concern – Concern for the blue crab stock is due to reduced landings of hard blue crabs during 2000-2002 and 2005–2007, following record-high landings observed during 1996–1999. The 2012 fishery yielded the fourth lowest landings during the 10-year period of 2003–2012. Harvest from Pamlico Sound and its tributaries decreased and continued to remain below historical levels. Results of the 2011 stock assessment suggest the North Carolina blue crab stock is not overfished. Overfishing cannot be determined at this time because data are insufficient for estimating reliable fishing mortality rates.

In my opinion, this piece of information from the NCDMF says a lot:
Historical and Current Maximum Age – 5–8 years/2–4 years
"The stock status of blue crabs is still considered to be of concern because of declining landings and evidence of reduced adult and recruit abundance. Even though there is now a more robust assessment of the stock condition, overfishing cannot be determined. The purpose of Amendment 2 is to manage for the long-term viability of the blue crab stock to sustain its economic and ecological value. Areas addressed in the management of the North Carolina’s blue crab fishery are: 1) environmental factors, 2) stock protection, 3) user conflicts, 4) clarification of rules, and 5) harvest practices."

If you wish to play statistics and reports, batter up.

If you'd like to admit that unsustainable commercial gear and methods for the past 30-40 years has had a drastic and detrimental effect on the majority of NC's important inshore commercial and recreational finfish, crab and oyster populations, then you might find common ground to solving a problem that will ultimately put commercial fisherman out of business.

As far as commercial crabbing effort being down, you are correct. But, CPUE (pounds landed/trip) is up.

If you will, please address how the relationships between the crab house owners and the actual white boots in the boat have effected participation in the industry. Also address how many of those local owners of crab houses decided to take the money and run when coastal real estate prices boomed.

Oh, you might find this study interesting: http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bi ... sequence=1

The study finds that, like croaker, spot and weakfish, commercial fisherman are killing blue crab spawning stock before it can spawn.

Thanks and have a good day
seacern
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:47 am

seacern wrote:Bobblehead, in case you need help understanding, and I'm typing this real slow, I'm not on here to debate.

Then there's no need for me to reply. I've already proven you're a habitual liar. You people are your own worse enemy :thumbsup:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby seacern » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
seacern wrote:Bobblehead, in case you need help understanding, and I'm typing this real slow, I'm not on here to debate.

Then there's no need for me to reply.

That is the most intelligent thing you've typed yet. Have a good day.
seacern
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am

seacern wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

Then there's no need for me to reply.

That is the most intelligent thing you've typed yet. Have a good day.
WOW! You made a post without lies or deflection, I never seen that coming.

ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby seacern » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

For the almost 1500 views to this thread since my first post, Thank YOU for letting me get the message out! If this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl4GSZLqGU&app=desktop upsets you, and it should, please do something about it. That clip is undeniable, non-defendable and non-deflectable and only lack of public outcry will Delay correcting this absolute waste of our important finfish resources. Please have your audio on when viewing the clip.

While you're at it, if the waste of non-selective entanglement gear offends you, please sign this petition http://www.change.org/petitions/north-carolina-state-house-ban-gill-nets-in-nc Thanks Again!
seacern
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm still waiting for a retort to my last statement. NCDENR reports that roughly 75% of the species you said should be labeled gamefish were harvested by recreational anglers in 2012. So, if their numbers are being depleted, who is depleting them? It would seem to me based on those figures alone that gill nets are NOT the reason these fish are being wiped out. If we outlawed the recreational take of these species, their harvest would decrease 75%. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that wouldn't bring the stocks back to where they once were much faster than cutting out commercial harvest.

For the record, I'm for commercial and recreational fishing. I believe there is room enough for both to co-exist in our waters. Taking a stand in support of commercial fishermen is really not the best move for me business-wise, but I absolutely cannot stand seeing folks who actually work for a living being attacked for making a living the only way they know how. I never hear commercial fishermen calling for restrictions on recreational fishing, but it is constant the other way around.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:43 pm

seacern wrote:For the almost 1500 views to this thread since my first post, Thank YOU for letting me get the message out! If this video [color=#0040BF]<a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl4GSZLqGU&app=desktop[/color" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>youtube</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>watch</span><span>?</span><span>v</span><span>=</span><span>WLl4GSZLqGU</span><span>&</span><span>app</span><span>=</span><span>desktop</span><span>[/</span><span>color</span></a>] upsets you, and it should, please do something about it. That clip is undeniable, non-defendable and non-deflectable and only lack of public outcry will Delay correcting this absolute waste of our important finfish resources. Please have your audio on when viewing the clip.

While you're at it, if the waste of non-selective entanglement gear offends you, please sign this petition [color=#0000BF]<a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.change.org/petitions/north-carolina-state-house-ban-gill-nets-in-nc[/color" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>change</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>petitions</span><span>/</span><span>north</span><span>-</span><span>carolina</span><span>-</span><span>state</span><span>-</span><span>house</span><span>-</span><span>ban</span><span>-</span><span>gill</span><span>-</span><span>nets</span><span>-</span><span>in</span><span>-</span><span>nc</span><span>[/</span><span>color</span></a>] Thanks Again!
About those 1,500 views. A lot of them are web spiders and spam bots. I would say they are not interested in your propaganda, but I'm fairly certain several thousand of them have already liked the NCFMY page and signed the gillnet ban petition. Before the recent signatures list disappeared from the gillnet ban petition page, every signature you could see was from Italy and countries in the middle east. I'm sure the NC House of Representatives will be extremely interested in the location of where each signature came from.

Te1l ‎‎Khaledi Ben Hmadi I said hello.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

If you enjoy eating fresh, wild-caught NC seafood, please support us in our effort to keep being able to provide seafood to those that either can't or choose not to catch their own. The resource belongs to everyone and should be managed for everyone. I would hate to see the day that Seacern was unable to go fishing. While he obviously doesn't feel the same way about myself and others that commercial fish, I would never support any action that would stop him from fishing. They are not just attacking our job, they are attacking our way of life.

Link to the petition to preserve the use of gillnets in NC.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-st ... g-industry
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 am

many years ago changes were made in states to our south. I saw the significant impact on fishing in Florida and Louisiana after limits were placed on Trawling in esturine waters. Astounding.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Average Joe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Coming from a state that banned gill nets almost twenty years ago (Florida) and still has some of the most amazing local sea food, I would have to think there is another method to catch ample quantities of fish to support local markets. Our local fisheries in Florida are amazing, from trout, redfish, flounder, etc., unlike my experience here in North Carolina. Finding a keeper flounder inside the estuaries is difficult and I have caught reds with gill nets still embedded in their skin. Some may say it is I as the angler but I have been fishing for over 25 years and lived in this area for 8.

Not bashing a man for his line of work, I just think there may be a better way. Good luck to both parties involved and may the scientific research support the right decision, whoever’s side that may be.
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Previous

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting