Lake Gaston

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Lake Gaston

Postby Bluebill Buster » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Hey guys.... I am coming down to Lake Gaston for Thanksgiving and wanted to get a report on the duck action there. My brother in law and I tried our best last year but got shut out. Honestly don't know if we are going to be able to make it out... wife's in-laws family function and I have to keep peace in the family, if you know what I mean!

Saw lots of blue bills and a few geese but not much else last year.

Let me know... Thanks!

Safe travels to everyone!!!
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:51 pm

so how was it. i know a guy who when there and they didnt get swat....oh yea they did get a goose and i think thats it
FABES
fabes468
hunter

Postby Bluebill Buster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:54 am

Actually had some better luck this year. Found a cove to hunt in and it was a hot spot for an hour each morning we hunted. 20 minutes before shooting time and 40 minutes after. Killed 2 ringnecks and a black duck. Had lots of birds flying into the cove but they didn't really want to land or circle close enough to the dekes.

Other guys out on the main body of the lake where shooting up a storm though. Never heard a goose.
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:18 am

Bluebill Buster wrote: Killed 2 ringnecks and a black duck.

Hope you were on the VA side as blacks are not in season yet in NC.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Bluebill Buster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:13 am

I only have a VA license... we were up past I-85 bridge. My partner killed a black too, two came in and none flew out! Got to love that!
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:25 am

It seems like the ducks were always more abundant on the VA side. We shot a few in NC, but only when it froze up the ponds and swamps; pushing ducks to bigger water :thumbsup:
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting