Off Season Layout Project *Complete*

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Off Season Layout Project *Complete*

Postby Green Head Tew » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Started on a layout boat this past weekend. Here are some pictures of how the build is coming along. Enjoy

Layout 1.jpg
Layout 1

Layout 2.jpg
Layout 2

Layout 3.jpg
Layout 3
Last edited by Green Head Tew on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The perils of duck hunting are great....especially for the duck." Walter Cronkite

Indaswamp wrote:Choot...I got a new terrorist call prototype I'm working on. When you blow into it it sound like this....".ULEE LEE LEE LEE LEE...."
Green Head Tew
hunter

Re: Off Season Layout Project

Postby shootindecoys420 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm

hope she floats
shootindecoys420
Suspended

Postby NCSUTACOMA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Is this from your own plan/blueprints, or some you got elsewhere. I mainly ask because from the pictures, the hull shape is very unique. From my experience, I would suggest to go ahead and seal off some areas in the hull, leaving maybe a 1" hole or so and purchase some 2 part expanding closed cell waterproof foam to mix and pour it in to completely fill the cavities, preferably enough foam to float the boat and yourself in the event you do take on water you can still stay relatively afloat. Best of luck with your build and keep the pics coming.
NCSUTACOMA
hunter

Postby Green Head Tew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I really like the boat shown here http://www.hybridduckboat.com/files/index.php?id=23, but there are no plans available for this boat yet. I started with the bottom and transom and just went from there using what I thought would be best. I have experience working with wood from a family carpentry business. I have sealed off everything inside since taking these pictures and will fill in all small cracks on the outside of the boat next. Just like the boats on the hybridduckboat.com page this one will be fiberglassed inside and out also. As for the foam, if it is needed I have left space in the back and front of the boat for the addition of foam. I like the way my design has turned out and I will have pictures up of the boat with the top on before long. This is my first build on a layout boat and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
"The perils of duck hunting are great....especially for the duck." Walter Cronkite

Indaswamp wrote:Choot...I got a new terrorist call prototype I'm working on. When you blow into it it sound like this....".ULEE LEE LEE LEE LEE...."
Green Head Tew
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Might wanna double check the leg room... put your waders on, when you get in to check. If ya got big feet, it gets cramped in the nose of a layout (not enough foot room in many).

Good thing about making your own, you can alter it to fit your needs/size.

Cool project! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

I have also been working on one of these with similar design. I call it "low rider". and yes it floats, already tested it out. :lol: [img

I had to buy everything for this project and I have right now $200 in it. including ~$30 in shipping. Only thing left to do is paint. I fiberglassed all of the inside and outside. Doubled up the fiberglass over all the seams. It weighs in at ~60 lbs. would have been lighter weight but I went with 1/2" plywood for the brace in the middle and 3/4 plywood for the transom. also all of my bracing/joint pieces were treated so that added to the weight as well. GreenheadTew was using lightweight cedar so his boat should weigh in at 50lbs or less.
"you hit 'em with that sit down call right there and those woodies will come swiming on in... hey, you do what you want to...I'm just sayin you'll kill more ducks that way" Phil Robertson
..."I ain't above it" GreenHeadTew
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby ncsu4ducks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 pm

You aren't by any chance trying to make a second one to sell haha? I know they are hard work to make, I made a jon boat in high school...took forever. But it looks good, hope you cut a few next season in it!
ncsu4ducks
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Ha ha. I wish I had the time to devot to building these and selling them. I understand why you can't find one manufactured for under $400 now. They are fun to build but I probably have 20 hrs total and I am ready for paint. Honestly I don't know how it came together as well as it did. I didn't really have a plan, just an idea and sometimes my ideas get me nothing but misery. lol . Maybe if I have some free time this summer I might consider building another. :hammer:
"you hit 'em with that sit down call right there and those woodies will come swiming on in... hey, you do what you want to...I'm just sayin you'll kill more ducks that way" Phil Robertson
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby Green Head Tew » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Got time today to do a little more work on my layout project. I have coated the inside of the boat with a waterproof epoxy sealer, and also added the top piece. Next the edges of the top will be sanded so the boat looks smooth all the way around and the fiberglass will be applied. Here are a few pics of today's work.

Layout 4.jpg
Layout 4

Layout 5.jpg
Layout 5

Layout 6.jpg
Layout 6

Layout 7.jpg
Layout 7

Green Head Tew
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:11 am

Your boat looks very clean. Take my advise and get the foundation perfect and smooth before you begin fiberglassing. This was my first time building a boat and my first time fiberglassing as well. My boat initially had a slight bow in it (front left and right rear wanted to lift up) it was just the bottom plywood piece and I was able to fix whenever I added the top. Keep your eyes out for wheels that can be used to make a cart. I have an older pushmower with the larger wheels on the back that I am going to salvage for a cart. Kids bicycle wheels would work great too.
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby ncsu4ducks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:22 pm

I understand the time and headaches that go into boat building. Where did you get the plans for the boat? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some for a summer project to help pass away the duck hunting blues.
ncsu4ducks
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 pm

hybridduckboats.com

also. PM missedagain, hes a great guy with lots of cool tricks and tips.

im about a third of the way done with my merrymeeting inspired hybrid duck boat
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Green Head Tew » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Yes, hybridduckboats.com is a good place to start. I originally looked at the boats built my missedagain and liked what he was doing. I strayed away from using exact plans to get the exact shape and design that I wanted. I am very pleased with how the overall shape of mine has turned out and can't hardly wait to use it for the upcoming duck season. Might just have to get in a little fishing out of it once it is done. :thumbsup:

Green Head Tew
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Here are some picst from painting the layout camo. 1) kahki, 2) OD green layer, 3) Brown Layer, 4) Shadow background complete, 5) RC cola can reference for size.
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby Green Head Tew » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Thats a good looking paint job. No reference to size needed.

Green Head Tew
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 am

camoboatjob1.jpg

Larger Pic of the DIY camo job.
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby lethalinjection » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Took the layout out on the pond for about 2hrs this past week. I had no leaks anywhere. Thank God :thumbsup: I think what helped prevent leaks was whenever i finished assembly of all the plywood parts had them screwed together, Then I backed all the screws out about a quarter inch so that i could lay a thick bead of construction adhesive in all the seems. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes and tightened all the screws down which helped to form a gasket like bond between all the plywood seems. So if any of you out there are planning on building a layout boat made of plywood I would consider trying this also.
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby Green Head Tew » Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 am

Updated Photos

IMG00018.jpg
Filling Holes 1

IMG00019.jpg
Filling Holes 2

IMG00020.jpg
Fiberglass Complete

IMG00022.jpg

IMG00028.jpg

Green Head Tew
hunter

Postby Green Head Tew » Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 am

Took the layout boat out for some fishing Saturday morning. This thing is surprisingly stable and very easy to manuever. I took a very small chair to sit on while fishing. Sitting down in the bottom of this boat is very comfortable and I think it will do very good for some extended time out in the swamp when duck season rolls around. Next for the boat I will add some handles to make moving this thing around a little easier, and also some paint.

IMG00057.jpg
On Water 1

IMG00058.jpg
On Water 2

IMG00055.jpg
First Fish

IMG00061.jpg
Lethal Injection

Green Head Tew
hunter

Re: Off Season Layout Project *Completed*

Postby Green Head Tew » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 am

So, finally got around to putting the camo on the layout project and finished this thing up. Went with some camo netting attached with staples for a more textured look. Will probably add some natural cover while hunting. Will be taking it out this coming Thursday afternoon. First leg of the season comes in Wednesday. Hopefully will be able to test this thing out for the first time in a hunt situation.

IMG00064.jpg
Finished 2

IMG00063.jpg
Finished 1

Green Head Tew
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting