Question on Hunting Law

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Question on Hunting Law

Postby tarheelduxhuntr » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:10 pm

Someone was deer hunting in my normal afternoon spot today so I decided to scout an area that I had found earlier. It's where a road crosses over a creek there is room to park truck on the sholder of the road and for me to unload a small boat or wade in and none of the land is posted around it. can I just slide in that creek and go hunting, can't find anything in regulation book on this but I want to make sure I'm legal doing it. man I want to hunt this spot seen 45+ ducks fly off of it right at dark this evening, going to try and be back at daylight to check it out for a morning hunt.

(oh I can see where some people have fished in it, corks hung in trees around it)
tarheelduxhuntr
hunter

Re: Question on Hunting Law

Postby Monroeduck » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:50 pm

tarheelduxhuntr wrote:Someone was deer hunting in my normal afternoon spot today so I decided to scout an area that I had found earlier. It's where a road crosses over a creek there is room to park truck on the sholder of the road and for me to unload a small boat or wade in and none of the land is posted around it. can I just slide in that creek and go hunting, can't find anything in regulation book on this but I want to make sure I'm legal doing it. man I want to hunt this spot seen 45+ ducks fly off of it right at dark this evening, going to try and be back at daylight to check it out for a morning hunt.

(oh I can see where some people have fished in it, corks hung in trees around it)

Can you float it without getting out of your boat? If you have to get out of your boat to pull it over a log or around a beaver dam then you could be tresspassing as I understand the law. If you can float the entire thing you might be ok. Does the county that it is in have a GIS system? If so you might use that to find out the landowner and just ask. To me you are better to ask and someone give you the OK vs. hunting it once and all of sudden you have posted signs all over the place. Just my take.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby tarheelduxhuntr » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:39 pm

I actually hunt on the same creek about 30 miles away 2 counties over some so it's a very long creek I'm lost when you say gis system. I can actually stand in it and hunt or use a float tube and go down it a bit I'm just trying to be legal it is in Johnson co.
tarheelduxhuntr
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:59 am

tarheelduxhuntr wrote:I actually hunt on the same creek about 30 miles away 2 counties over some so it's a very long creek I'm lost when you say gis system. I can actually stand in it and hunt or use a float tube and go down it a bit I'm just trying to be legal it is in Johnson co.

Go to this link http://152.31.96.22/ It will open up a second window that is downtown. Zoom out until you find the creek you are looking for. Then you can see the parcel divisions and you can find out who owns any parcel in that county. Most but not all counties in NC have this now. Just do a google search on the county you are looking for and GIS. GIS is graphical information survey.

The way I understand the navagitable (sp?) waters definition is that you can travel and therefor hunt on any navagitable )sp?) water in the state. So if you can put your boat into the water legally, an not tresspass, i.e. you can't take a shortcut across farmer browns back yard to put into his creek and say you floated there. If you can park on the road right a way and access the road right a way to the water I would think you would be ok. The definition of navagitable water is water you can float it. If you have to get out of your boat and pull it over a dam or low spot in the creek you would then be tresspassing. As long as you don't get out of the boat you would be legal. Now the problem is legal and ethical are not always the same thing. If there is a creek that flows into the middle of someone's impoundment you could technially hunt it as long as you never stepped foot out of your boat. But that wouldn't be very ethical if you get my point. Personally I think you would be better off to track down the landowner, perhaps taking a boat ride back there to find out the situation. If you ask and they say no yeah you don't get to hunt but at least you asked. If you hunt it and they don't like it you will never get to hunt there again. they might just say they don't care.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting