Retaking NC forum

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Retaking NC forum

Postby David » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

I have gotten some complaints about this forum in particular. It seems some people are either giving out too much information, or on the other end of the spectrum giving out misinformation that they know will get the person fined. In my opinion, both are equally bad. A few years ago A2 had to implement a zero tolerance policy for the NC forum to get rid of the bull crap. I would rather not have to go to such an extreme, but will if pushed.

So if you are on the birds, great. Go ahead and share that you had a great day. Post dead bird pics angled down or in your driveway so as not to give away spots. But please do not post the information of where for all to see. Posting on the internet shares with a lot more people than just telling a friend.

Also if someone comes on here and asks a question, new or long term, you don't have to be a jerk. Provide a link to NC DNR or give him some help, other than where to hunt.

If these suggestions aren't followed feel free to report the post and me or a mod will try to judge if it doesn't belong and take action.

Now if you want to share locations via pms that are private, feel free, I'm not going to stop you. We just need to cut out the TMI guys and the jerks then all will be good.

I hope everyone has a good, safe season.
David
Lefty

Re: Retaking NC forum

Postby Whompus Crab » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm

time to take out the trash David
Team Gang Bang
Bang Gang Decoys pro-staff

9 Doves
1 Quail
1 Yellow bellied sap sucker
3 Robins
1 Chipmunk
Whompus Crab
hunter

Postby peter lates etheridge » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:31 pm

nicely put but i aint seen none or heard none thanks :welcome: :beer: :beer: :huh: :grooving: :bow:
peter lates etheridge
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Whompus Crab wrote:time to take out the trash David

:welcome:
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby jegreen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 pm

:hammer:
jegreen
hunter

Postby lock'dup » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am

peter lates etheridge wrote:nicely put but i aint seen none or heard none thanks

:huh:
lock'dup
Suspended

Postby Sir Big Spur » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:23 pm

I love this site.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby gangrig25 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I came aross this looking the cricket pic :eek: :beer: :eek:
Image :hi:
gangrig25
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:12 am

Where is the line drawn? About a month ago I asked about the general hunting situation in Pamlico Sound. Right away I stated I wasn't asking for anything specific, just how the blind laws worked, floaters, licensing of blinds, all general stuff. You'd think I was asking for nude girlfriend photos the way some responded. I think there is a paranoia with this stuff. Eventually guys posted basic info, if not on in the forum, then in a PM. Thanks, the info you gave was helpful in a general understanding and not earth shattering secrets of any kind. If we can't help out a fellow waterfowler with basic info, why not? If most of it is on the state website, and the rest is general common knowledge, why not? Even if a guy was to give me specific info about a blind he has on a point of land or an island, what difference would it be? First of all, that is his blind, AND that was last year, concerning the bird action. Just to show how uneffective "inside information" is, I recently went to a few of your Outer Banks Guide's websites. One posts a journal of shooting numbers , and descriptions of action all season long, complete with photographs of the blinds, the island and where it is. Is this guy nuts? I hardly think so. It is his land, his blinds....and all that info was pertinent last season. A day or two later, as the bird's patterns change, even THAT info was outdated. And this guy does this for a living. You think he's going to jeopardize his business over paranoia and sharing a little outdated info?
About 2 seasons ago, a guy posted how well he did at Deal Island WMA on the Chesapeake in Md. This is public land, free access, no lottery etc. That next weekend that area got busy with hunters, not that many birds. Guys were ranting about how the poster ruined it for life. Now everyone knows about Deal Island WMA. Never mind that it is right there on the Md DNR website, with descriptions, photos and maps and even info about getting a permit for the controlled Impoundment area. Next weekend fewer hunters, the weekend after it reverted back to nornmal. The place wasn't "ruined" . If a guy normally sees 3 or 4 trailers in the lot at the ramp it's ok, but if he sees, oh my Gawd....6 or 7, well we might as well just go to the bar and not hunt. Literally tens of thousands of acres of open marshland and those 3 extra hunters have ruined it. Same thing on Long Island, Point Lookout ramp. A new guy asked about hunting and I gave him a general rundown about the ramp, the open public marsh ( as far as the eye could see for 70 miles, thats right, 70 miles of the outer beaches marshes, all open to hunting), and guys got mad cause now all that acreage would be swarming with hunters. I hope these guys have better perceptions of things when they go out in little boats in waters in winter than they do with a few extra hunters and open 70 mile marsh and crowding.
There is some kind of greed at the root of all this. All that water, all that public water..... and the perception and sometimes the legal practice in some states to hand over the rights of us all , to a chosen few.

Bottom line, we can help a guy along now and then and not lose anything, in fact the sport gets stronger. I respectfully ask the question, why would a website that has a forum concerning waterfowling, feel it needs to, or fell it can take away the First Amendment rights of it's customers in the open discussion of places for a man to hunt?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby lock'dup » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 am

If it's public knowledge and so easy to obtain.. LET THE TROLLS FIND IT FOR THEMSELVES

Anyway, did someone mention naked girlfriends :banana:
lock'dup
Suspended

Postby gangrig25 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 am

VaTailfeathers wrote: Bottom line, we can help a guy along now and then and not lose anything, in fact the sport gets stronger. I respectfully ask the question, why would a website that has a forum concerning waterfowling, feel it needs to, or fell it can take away the First Amendment rights of it's customers in the open discussion of places for a man to hunt?

We are not customers and we have no "rights" here.
gangrig25
hunter

Postby David » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 am

We have not taken away your first amendment rights. One of my pet peeves is people that bring up the constitution and its amendments, yet haven't taken the time to see what they say. Anyway, the posts that "ruin" spots usually include pics of birds and/or the location that they were killed. We are not going to allow details on the open forum as it takes away from those that have put in the time to actually find the birds. There is no monitoring of private messages so feel free to give anyone you want hot spots via pm. Feel free to post up hunting stories along with pics, but leave out and don't show the details of where on the open forum. On the same subject, we have had people intentionally giving misinformation. That is no longer allowed either. If someone gives bad information knowingly, I plan on taking action against them. We don't need jerks and trolls here.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am

VaTailfeathers wrote: If a guy normally sees 3 or 4 trailers in the lot at the ramp it's ok, but if he sees, oh my Gawd....6 or 7, well we might as well just go to the bar and not hunt.

But what if a ramp that normally sees maybe 10-12 trailers suddenly sees 60 when some yo-yo posts up that he blew them away at one of the impoundments in Pamlico County? And you wind up with a group set up on every little point outside? More hunters (maybe 40 groups) outside than the dozen allowed inside, with all those groups outside skybusting at birds 50-60 yards high, because the videos they watch look like they're doing the same thing. But hey, it's public, right? And all those yahoos got the right to be there. And it's everybody's public duty to let all the public know where the public's birds are, even though the public is too damn lazy to do their own damned scouting.

I thank the board's management for the new parameters.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm

First off a BIG thank you to David for setting the rules straight on this forum. :clapping:

VaTail.....this is the second time you've brought up the 1st amendment as your arguing point. You were told last time this is not a public forum, there are no rights....plus follow David's advice and read the Constitution.

Don't get in a tissy fit because detailed info is not allowed to be shared on the open forum. As was said earlier if the info. about the public spots is available on the NCWRC website then let people find it. I've answered numerous posts asking about information on where to hunt by linking that website and often times actually going onto the website to link specific regs, maps, etc. for the person that asked the question.

PM's are fine and good. Chances are if I get drawn for an impoundment hunt I'll post up a question asking if anyone has hunted the impoundment the weekend before.....but I will ask for them to respond to me with a pm. Like wahoowilly said putting it out on the open forum is not the way to go.

It isn't even about the actual contributing members of this site that you need to worry about. I like to think that most of us are great guys, and we are on here actually posting and carrying on because we enjoy this sport so much. It is the lurkers that don't register on the site and only check it weekly to try to catch someone slipping up giving away detailed reports.

Just wait until someone slips up and posts a detailed report of good hunt with a title like "Tore them up at PP yesterday". That thread will have 20 times the number of views as any other thread, but it will still have the same number of replies as any other thread.

If you want some general reports from Pamlico Sound ask for the info. in a pm. I bet you'll be surprised at how many guys may help you out. I know it has worked for me in the past.

The question I want to ask you is why is it upsetting that the majority of us registered forum users don't want detailed info. put out on threads? if you are the one seeking the info. and it came to you in a pm, would that not satisfy you? Is there a need for the info. you requested to be viewed by every single person with internet access that stumbles on DHC? I just don't get why it matters, you get the info. via pm, the spot doesn't get national attention, and you may just have a better hunt because of that. The only argument that I've heard from you is it is a 1st amendment right to free speech, which isn't true....so what is the real argument?
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I look for the first High Rock thread this season to shut down the North Carolina forum. Last years threads that had High Rock in them had more views than just about anything on the NC forum. There are way more people out there watching this forum than we will probably ever hear about.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby lock'dup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 am

where is high rock? Is it permit only? do I need a boat or is there walk in access? what kind of ducks could I expect to see there?
lock'dup
Suspended

Postby VaTailfeathers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for the explaination carsonr2 and others. I didn't realize it was such a problem to talk specifics, even if it is old info. I guess there are a lot more lurkers around that didn't recognize who don't have the time or interest in participating or getting to know the guys here and they are here just to take and not give. I agree, Let guys ask on the forum and get specifics through PM's and get answered based on friendships and trust that is established than just assumed cause they simply logged on here. Kind of letting your friends know of the fish biting really good this evening off of such and such beach, rather than announcing it to the whole bar.
Concerning the deliberate mis information and the suspensions, right on. To get a guy into trouble or lead him down the wrong path is not funny, doesn't do anyone any good, except entertaining a twisted mind and is inexcusable.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey to everyone, I just joined the site and wanted to say I think these efforts to limit "public knowledge" of waterfowl hunting is a smart move for both this site and NC duck hunting in general. I guess I would have been classified as a "lurker" prior to joining. I started duck hunting several years ago in college at NC State and last year came across this forum. I mainly just enjoyed reading posts because it excited me for my own upcoming hunts. Just to restate what has already been mentioned I think it is very beneficial to post basic facts about your hunts. For instance what species of birds have been seen in what areas of the state, your set up tactics, and other basic tips that could help others enjoy a morning of hunting. With that said you can easily do that without pin pointing you location and other specifics. Just because I see a hundred mallards today has no bearing on what I will see tomorrow morning while the migration is on. Many times people hear "birds are at XX spot" and automatically think they will be there tomorrow. The fact of the matter is that chances are they were shot up the same day they were seen and may have just moved on. Just my input.

I appreciate this site and those that also enjoy the outdoors and hunting. There are fewer and fewer people around that actually respect the outdoors and the hunting lifestyle and I believe many of the members here give it due respect. Thanks for that and good luck next wednesday!
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:08 pm

VaTailfeathers wrote:Thanks for the explaination carsonr2 and others. I didn't realize it was such a problem to talk specifics, even if it is old info. I guess there are a lot more lurkers around that didn't recognize who don't have the time or interest in participating or getting to know the guys here and they are here just to take and not give. I agree, Let guys ask on the forum and get specifics through PM's and get answered based on friendships and trust that is established than just assumed cause they simply logged on here. Kind of letting your friends know of the fish biting really good this evening off of such and such beach, rather than announcing it to the whole bar.
Concerning the deliberate mis information and the suspensions, right on. To get a guy into trouble or lead him down the wrong path is not funny, doesn't do anyone any good, except entertaining a twisted mind and is inexcusable.

Amen, brother! :thumbsup:

I'm sure someone will help ya out when you ask in the future with responses via pm.

4 more days, boys and girls.....woo hoo :beer:
carsonr2
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:11 pm

HighBrassDivers wrote:Hey to everyone, I just joined the site and wanted to say I think these efforts to limit "public knowledge" of waterfowl hunting is a smart move for both this site and NC duck hunting in general. I guess I would have been classified as a "lurker" prior to joining. I started duck hunting several years ago in college at NC State and last year came across this forum. I mainly just enjoyed reading posts because it excited me for my own upcoming hunts. Just to restate what has already been mentioned I think it is very beneficial to post basic facts about your hunts. For instance what species of birds have been seen in what areas of the state, your set up tactics, and other basic tips that could help others enjoy a morning of hunting. With that said you can easily do that without pin pointing you location and other specifics. Just because I see a hundred mallards today has no bearing on what I will see tomorrow morning while the migration is on. Many times people hear "birds are at XX spot" and automatically think they will be there tomorrow. The fact of the matter is that chances are they were shot up the same day they were seen and may have just moved on. Just my input.

I appreciate this site and those that also enjoy the outdoors and hunting. There are fewer and fewer people around that actually respect the outdoors and the hunting lifestyle and I believe many of the members here give it due respect. Thanks for that and good luck next wednesday!

Way to lay it out in your first post. You'll get along nicely with the crew on here. :welcome:
carsonr2
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:31 pm

I like this new rule, even though I dont live in the Northern part of the state and deal with larger numbers of birds. I can say that if there were postings of detailed info revolving the SE area I would be a little pissed..On top of high anticipation, time off work and of course MONEY is spent on looking for these birds. A lot of work is put in for those of us who take time to scout, and pattern the routine of the wildlife. When your not at work, your not making money which means your spending money.

Im a definete lurker on this site but only because I usually have nothing important to respond with. I really enjoy looking at kill pictures, and stories from NC.

Less specifics, less BS (sometimes) on the site

Good luck to everyone this coming week... I cant wait to hear the woodies come screaming in ( please no sexual remarks about "screaming woodies") :biggrin:
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tsmart » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:26 am

I guess I missed the good stuff. :biggrin:

For the record, I've even been burnt by "friends" that I've shared info with before. I don't share info with anyone any longer, not even friends.

Used to get a kick out of messing with people about High Rock.
Even went to the extreme of hunting Lake Hickory, and making a poster for a picture for ole 4 Stroke saying it was High Rock. :lol3:
I don't mind sharing, that that was actually Lake Hickory a few yrs ago. The spot has since been annexed by the City, so it's City limits now - no hunting.

The was the good ole days....
People no longer respect other people today.
Share some info, and they'll be on top of you - or even follow you, or cruise the water and try to find you. the next day - there they are, where you like to set up.

It's crazy.

Just sayin...

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 am

Ok, OK !!

I just found a smilie - that fits this thread to a "t".

When I saw it, I spit coffee on my computer....

Here it is:

:biggrin:

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby tarheel yankee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Good stuff David...I agree...we need to crop our pics or take them on a downward angle..or don't post ones that have a noticable landmark in the background. :thumbsup:
Chris
U.S. Army, Infantry,.........RETIRED!!!
tarheel yankee
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 am

yeah nobody hunts Lake Hickory, I wouldnt go there.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting