Mandrian Duck

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Mandrian Duck

Postby tarheelduxhuntr » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:57 pm

Well I've seen it all now, we have been hunting woodies all week before work and in the early evenings. My hunting partner called me last night and had shot a duck he wasn't able to ID, I rode by his house this morning and it is a Mandrian it was flying with the woodies late yesterday afternoon, Man I thought a Drake woodie is pretty this thing is awesome looking. I'm going to go snap a photo of it tommorow or Monday and I'll post it. don't know where it came from or what it was doing in a swamp in NC but it's going to make one good looking mount.
tarheelduxhuntr
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Can't wait to see the pictures.

considering The Mandarin duck breeds in eastern Siberia, China, and Japan and winters in southern China and Japan. There is a small free-flying population in Britain stemming from the release captive bred ducks.

If your buddy shot one in NC that thing was lost. I would call the wildlife comission as well they might want to know about this being so far from home.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby tarheelduxhuntr » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:42 pm

I just got off the phone with him I'm going to go tommorow and snap some photo's of it he's bagged it up and put it in the freezer I told him that is a once in a lifetime duck. he's going to call wildlife on monday and tell them about it.
tarheelduxhuntr
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:31 pm

I would make a 100% positive ID before you call out an agent. I would think it is a funky wood duck but I might be wrong.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Can't wait to see pics...not very many reports of them in the states, could be an avairy escapee....

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby icebreaker » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:58 am

My guess would be that this is a locally bred and released duck...they are readily available on the web for purchase. They live very similarly to the habits of a wood duck (roosting in tree holes, etc.), so a mandarin flying with woodies would not be that uncommon.
icebreaker
hunter

Postby jdavis » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:03 pm

If it got here from Asia make sure it doesnt have the Avian Flu. There was an interesting article in the Journal of American Medicine saying that migratory waterfowl is most likely the way the flu will reach North America.
Conserve Game, Hunt with a Trained Retreiver!
jdavis
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:21 am

I agree w/ Icebreacker. A lot of folks buy ducks to put in their ponds, and this seems to be the type of duck that would take flight w/ the woodys.
They have been known to fly 500 miles in 24 hours though, so you can't rule out migration 100%.
Keep us posted though. I'm interested in what the NCWRC's take is on it.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

wnc mandarin

Postby coaltrain1300 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:53 pm

i killed one on the other end of nc, in the land of no ducks hendersonville, nc. it was flying with a group of high flying mallards that never come down. i blew a hail call and it pitched right in decoys. i shot it and it was flapping in water and when the dog brought it back it had messed up its almond and orange feathers. evryone brags on a sorry woody. mine was messed up too bad to mount but id give anything to have it back. 3 days after i figured out what i killed i new it was special. somewhere on DU website it said most duck hunters that hunt a lifetime only see 2-3 in their lives and never get a shot becasue they are so wary. congrats man email me a pic when you get it mounted id enjoy especially casue ive killed one too!
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby Mouse » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:45 pm

I have seen one mounted before but never on a hunt! Truley a treasure can't wait to see the pics hope you get them up soon.
Hooked on Quack since 1994!
Mouse
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:53 am

Any more info on this duck?
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby watrswatr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:52 pm

watrswatr
Banned

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:02 am

I think he was reffering to this particular duck. I've been wondering about it too.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Mandarin

Postby SweetLips » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 pm

I shot a mandarin on the marsh of the NC coast on 11-20-95. The bird buzzed the decoys and I thought it was a woodie until I picked it up and I did not know what I had done until the boys at camp started cussing and telling me that I had just taken a duck that they would never have a chance of taking. I have only seen one other mount and that was at Swan Island Club in north east NC. The taxidermist mounted it in a glass box W/scene and wanted to take it to his shows but I could not let it go. I have a dated picture of me holding the bird in the field hanging above the mount. I believe this bird was a captive that got away from a breeder.I have had several people tell me they have been raised on the west coast for a while and there may be some breeders in NC/SC area. This bird is incredible. Congrats on taking one. GooseMan
SweetLips
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting