Southport to Carolina Beach

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Southport to Carolina Beach

Postby jasonbiggs11 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 am

Has anyone ever hunted the Cape Fear river section between Bald Head Island and Carolina Beach. Didn't know if there were any ducks in this area. Also, the brunswick river or lockwood folly river in brunswick county.
jasonbiggs11
Newb

Postby imaheelsfan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:02 pm

There used to be, but since Corncake inlet closed in they have gone away. Buzzard Bay used to have lots, but there's not much food for them anymore. I live on the ICW at Oak Island and used to watch hundreds of birds fly that way every night. I went out on Wed night just to watch and counted two (2). I am having to go inland to find ducks now. Mostly wood ducks on beaver ponds. It's really sad.
imaheelsfan
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I just got a similar report for the same general area from a friend. I plan to hunt w/ him some the last week of the season, so hopefully the birds will drop in. He said lately he's seen some big high flying flocks migrating through, but not stopping in at all.
We'll just have to see.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby hillbillync » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 am

I have hunted the Brunswick a few times this season and saw a few mergansers and the occasional woodie. One morning a few weeks back there were 4 other boats in the Brunswick with very little shooting. I hunted Lockwood Folly last year a couple times. The place just looks ducky but I didn't see many birds. I've scouted & hunted both and not seen birds but I've talked with other hunters who've had sucessesful hunts at each. Go figure. I've since moved on to other bodies of water and hope that we get a major arctic push to bring in some birds before season ends.
hillbillync
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting