SUNDAY HUNTING

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

SUNDAY HUNTING

Postby gvegas88 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Now is our chance. The NRA-ILA has and article on thier web site about sunday hunting in NC and meetings are scheduled in some counties, please read it. any ideas?

http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislatio ... px?ID=1849
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:10 pm

i like it how it is... it gives the ducks a little break along with the wives/gfs.... i mean i think the way it is now works fine
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:23 am

The state is already conducting a study on it.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 am

Leave it the way it is.

The birds need all the rest they can get.

It would also shorton our season by adding an extra day.

VOTE NO SUNDAY HUNTING,

marsh shooter
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:28 pm

I would much rather have the longer season and I'm used to the way it is.
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby fishorwife » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:38 pm

My day of worship is on Saturday why not stop hunting on Saturday. If Ducks need a rest why can't we have no hunting on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday!
fishorwife
hunter

Postby Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 pm

I see nothing wrong with it look at all the states that border NC they all hunt Sundays. Also look at the money it could make the State in revenue maybe then they would ease up on the darn gas taxes HA HA. Seriously its not a bad thing but i do agree regulations would need to be set, allot of people work six days a week and cannot hunt until Sundays. It's not lieke we are asking them to let us hunt over Corn or shine lights and hunt at night. What could it hurt? The birds needing rest story just don't work. We all know that once birds have been shot at they become educated. Do you honestly think one day of rest un-educates them? Just my two cents worth hope I didn't offend anyone.
Hooked on Quack since 1994!
Mouse
hunter

Postby willb_raleigh » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Could anyone figure out how to post a reply on the NCWRC website? I tried to find it but there was no proposal for Sunday hunting on there. I'd like to weigh in my opinion, but I don't know if I'll make the drive to Louisburg to do it.
willb_raleigh
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:27 pm

The state has hired a company to do a study I don't know if they are asking for input other than economic data at this point. If I can find out more I will let you know.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:03 am

Go to the NWRC web site and send then a e-mail. Sunday hunting is not a proposed hunting change but the NCWRC has hired a company to do a public survay on opinions about Sunday hunting, and the NCWRC will include your e-mail in the survay.

I am oposed to Sunday hunting and wanted to voice my opinoins also so I sent them a e-mail, and here is what I got back.

Thank you for your letter concerning North Carolina’s Sunday hunting law.

Hunting on Sunday is prohibited in North Carolina through General Statute 103-2, passed by the General Assembly in 1869. Any change to the statute that would allow hunting on Sunday must be made by the General Assembly. The Wildlife Resources Commission (WRC) does not currently have the authority to regulate hunting on Sunday.

At the request of the 2005 General Assembly and Governor Easley, our agency is coordinating a study to evaluate the attitudes and opinions of North Carolina’s citizens regarding hunting on Sundays. Our objective in coordinating this study is to gather information that will assist the Governor and the General Assembly in determining whether a change in the Sunday hunting law is appropriate.

We have contracted with Responsive Management, Inc., an internationally recognized authority on public opinion research in the wildlife profession, to conduct a study over the next year using standard public opinion survey methods. Responsive Management will gather opinions about Sunday hunting from various stakeholder groups across the state and conduct an extensive telephone survey of the general public to evaluate the breadth and strength of these opinions. The study will also examine potential impacts on North Carolina’s economy, hunting seasons, management of hunted wildlife populations, and the operations of the WRC. At the conclusion of the study Responsive Management will provide a final report that will be transmitted to the General Assembly and to the Governor’s Office.

We will compile your letter with others on the subject of Sunday hunting and present them all to the Governor and General Assembly as an addendum to the final report.

Thank you again for contacting us. I hope this information has been helpful to you.

Hope this helps,
marsh shooter
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby shadowgrassbbb » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm

dont want to be on the soap box here but I think that the sunday hunting should be allowed. After moving here from Mississippi it is obvious that there are more hunters than there are ducks lol. over the past 4 years I have hunted every draw in the book, every lake that held a duck, shot a limit in front and behind monroe on harris. ect... It should be obvious that harveting reports increase later in the season just as it did in the central flyway. Skeeters dont yeild ducks there etheir. Proper conservation practices from hunters as well as federal state and others is the key. A question for thought how many days are shot due to poor hunting conditions here that result in a 30 minute wood duck hunt. oppurtunity to have more ideal days in peak migration for ducks that most enjoy shooting is a good thing. After speaking with a game warden about the topic the three day a week areas would remain the same. This would allow the ducks to rest in high pressure areas and allow people to hunt different places and change with the ducks. It seems most against this change dont have private impoundments and hunt few places thoughout the year. Sunday hunting would help split up the hunters between the days in my mind,,,, Would be nice to wet a hook on saturday for a change.......
shadowgrassbbb
Newb

Postby ripthosducks » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm
apposd :hammering:
ripthosducks
hunter

Postby icebreaker » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 pm

marsh shooter wrote:Leave it the way it is.
The birds need all the rest they can get.
It would also shorton our season by adding an extra day.
VOTE NO SUNDAY HUNTING,
marsh shooter

Well, speaking as one who can, for the most part, hunt on only Saturdays...Sunday hunting would not "shorten" my season...it in fact would double it! Anyway the days would be taken from the beginning of the season...not the end. I feel like this would reduce the pressure on residential birds earlier in the season and save them for later in the season along with the incoming migrating birds. Thus, more birds for all. :thumbsup:
icebreaker
hunter

Postby icebreaker » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:44 pm

shadowgrassbbb wrote:dont want to be on the soap box here but I think that the sunday hunting should be allowed. After moving here from Mississippi it is obvious that there are more hunters than there are ducks lol. over the past 4 years I have hunted every draw in the book, every lake that held a duck, shot a limit in front and behind monroe on harris. ect... It should be obvious that harveting reports increase later in the season just as it did in the central flyway. Skeeters dont yeild ducks there etheir. Proper conservation practices from hunters as well as federal state and others is the key. A question for thought how many days are shot due to poor hunting conditions here that result in a 30 minute wood duck hunt. oppurtunity to have more ideal days in peak migration for ducks that most enjoy shooting is a good thing. After speaking with a game warden about the topic the three day a week areas would remain the same. This would allow the ducks to rest in high pressure areas and allow people to hunt different places and change with the ducks. It seems most against this change dont have private impoundments and hunt few places thoughout the year. Sunday hunting would help split up the hunters between the days in my mind,,,, Would be nice to wet a hook on saturday for a change.......

Yeh, what he said too.
icebreaker
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting