North Carolina Hunters

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

North Carolina Hunters

Postby crankerup » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:19 am

How many North Carolina duck & goose hunters out there, and where do you hunt. :thumbsup:
crankerup
hunter

Postby dukcracker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:30 pm

:getdown: Whats up crankerup! I'll help you get this one started. I hunt in central NC and go to the coast once a year for a trip :thumbsup: I heard some talk with my bud I hunt with about some land to lease in Duplin co or in Greene co has anyone else from NC hunted either of these areas?
dukcracker
hunter

Wher to go in NC

Postby Ole # 13 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:17 am

I have been in NC for over a year and am beginning to wonder where everybody goes to hunt. Too many activists and antis in the Piedmont area. I spent 10 years in MS and I do miss the ducks. I am starting to have withdrawls If I don't kill a goose or duck this year, I might have to go to detox! Where are the ducks?
Ole # 13
Newb

Hunting Duplin co

Postby Tater » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:57 am

Was up there in Duplin co last week deer hunting seen lots of geese few duck am interrested in a lease in that area if one is found please keep ears open post asap.

Tater :thumbsup:
Tater
Newb

Re: North Carolina Hunters

Postby Jack Ward » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:09 am

crankerup wrote:How many North Carolina duck & goose hunters out there, and where do you hunt. :thumbsup:

Hey... I "think" I'm a duck hunter. Atleast when I lived in South Georgia, I was. Now that I live in Charlotte the only waterfowel I see is a bunch of geese in the parkin' lot! It would be nice to know where a guy can hunt ducks in NC.
Any clues?
Hunt forever, love a lifetime, and die trying.
Jack Ward
Newb

Postby Franchi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:21 pm

I live at the Outer Banks. I mostly hunt carteret county and onslow county.
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby quackhead1978 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:16 pm

I grew up in Currituck and have hunted the Currituck Sound most of my life.
quackhead1978
hunter

I LIVE IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA

Postby coaltrain1300 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:13 pm

LIVE IN THE MTNS OF NC AND YOU CAN REALLY SEE DEPRESSING DUCK NUMBERS. ALTHOUGH WHEN IT FREEZES OVER IN WINTER HUNT THE CREEKS THE GOLF CORSE AND DEVELOPMENT BIRDS WILL MOVE THERE WE DO WELL THAT WAY. I FEEL THE AGGRAVATION SAME AS YALL HUNTING IN NC
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby quackhead1978 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:21 pm

I see a lot of depressing stories on here. There are ducks in N.C. you just have to be willing to get out there and scout them.
quackhead1978
hunter

Ducks?

Postby camdenducks » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:47 am

Are there any ducks in North Carolina? That is a crazy question! I live in Camden North Carolina and there a ducks everywhere. Most of the time we go hunting and kill aleast two ducks apeace at the least. We scout a lot in the off season and build our blinds to add to our success. We have so many wood ducks that it is getting borring killing them. Some send me some pintails!
camdenducks
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:24 pm

I'm from gates county, and I hunt the swamps! The Chowan river is less than two miles from my house but until the swamps freezee....I'll stay in the swamps! Scouting is the key. If you can find a large swamp and you get the time to go scouting ...go. Look for the tell tell signs....feathers on the water, birds talking it up in the early morning, flushing birds up ahead of ya ! In the afternoon take your vehicle where you can look across a field to see what is flying into or out of these swamps! Ps. if you think that a good ole' boy is going to tell you where his honey holes are :toofunny: ! honestly, I learned by getting with another hunter in the area. I was always early to meet him when we scouted, I was always early when we met to go hunting. If you wish to fight the crowds.... I can recomend the pamlico sound impoundment! lots of birds, lots of hunters, and you had better be at the ramp before 4:00 am ( cant launch before then) and you had better be prepared to walk in deep mud to get to a blind. Other than that it is a great place to hunt.
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby Isitshootintimeyet? » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:21 pm

hey all im in the same boat just moved here from upstate new york now live in alamance county, tryin to find places close to me, all the good spots mattamuskeet and all 4 hrs away dont mind the travel but every weekend too much any suggestions helpfull. thanx all and good luck
Isitshootintimeyet?
Newb

Postby dukcracker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:20 pm

:welcome:
dukcracker
hunter

Postby paulheels » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:22 pm

i live in mebane and just got into duck hunting around here back in nov. i did a little in sc. i am also just getting into calling. me and some buddies have been to jordan lake and have had some decent hunts. i havent shot at a flying biurd in about four years because of school and fball dusties, but i am gettin back in the swing. still wainting on that first mallard. we usually tryu to go once a week.
paulheels
Newb

Postby captchaos » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:29 am

Coastal NC here. Mostly hunt Bogue Sound and New River. I also hunt Core Sound and some other places down east.
Life is way to short not to spend time with your family outdoors.
captchaos
Newb

Postby BirdDogSam » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:18 pm

Somebody please tell me there is decent duck hunting not to far from Charlotte or I'm moving!
BirdDogSam
Newb

Postby dukcracker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:12 am

If you have a boat try High Rock Lake I hear the hunting can be good over that way. :welcome:
dukcracker
hunter

Postby BirdDogSam » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:40 pm

I plan on getting one ..where is that lake?
BirdDogSam
Newb

Postby talkinquack » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:33 pm

I hunt the High Rock, Tucker Town lake area. It seems the duck numbers are dropping. Three years ago you could kill your limit. Now your lucky to see you limit. I ususally take a trip with a few buddies to Reelfoot Lake, TN once a year. The number of ducks there are unreal.
talkinquack
hunter

Postby staightShooter » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:42 pm

I live in the Piedmont, I hunt the local lakes, impoundments, rivers, and head to the coast. I just moved back from around Lake Erie, although the Piedmont isn't on an ancestral route, there are birds if you scout - such as the two geese I shot last sat after scouting them.

Main thing is since it is pressured, be sure to be considerate of other hunters and let the ducks work.
staightShooter
hunter

Postby Windknot » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 pm

I live in Tarboro. Hunt lower Pamlico, New River some, local swamps and the Tar River. We are praying for some water so the woodie hunting will be decent. Would like to hunt some in Core Sound area. If interested in swapping a hunt let me know.
Windknot
hunter

where do you go

Postby byebyebirdie » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:54 am

I just moved to Jacksonville, NC from CA a couple weeks ago. I love duck hunting but I only have gotten to go when I go back to MO to see the family. I actually requested orders to Camp Lejeune because the hunting is better here than in southern CA. Didn't make my wife to happy. Anyway now that I am here I am trying to find good hunting spots. I checked out Croatan forest and Catfish lake impoundment yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas of where to go. I am more than willing to drive. I have everything here but a boat. I am looking for places with shallow waters to wade and set up a grass blind or something. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Josh
byebyebirdie
hunter

Postby 935MOSS » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Hey Windknot, I'm from Tarboro also. I'm sending you a PM. I didn't know there were any fellow Tarboro native on this board. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I hunt Tar River, Lake Gaston, and a creek behind my house.
935MOSS
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:58 am

I live in Garner, NC. I hunt the Falls Lake/Creedmoor area with the occassional trip to the coast.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby jmh0101 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:27 pm

I am from columbus county, nc and me and my 3 buddies shot 181 ducks last season....but we only missed around 5 days
jmh0101
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting