ringnecks?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

ringnecks?

Postby NCduckSlayer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 pm

will a ringneck go into a swamp. I thought i saw some the other day going into a swamp but wasn't sure if it was a ringneck or not?
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:59 pm

i hunted sat morning on a swamp and we killed 7 ringnecks....yes they will use a swamp as long as there are some fairly open areas in it
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Yes ringnecks will go into a swamp.

They will go into a swamp as long as there are a few open areas in it, they really like a swamp that has a feeder creek that leads out to a big bodie of water.

They will roost on the big water and get up in the morning and fly up the creek that leads to the swamp that they are feeding in.

marsh shooter
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:12 pm

always godo to bring some ringneck decoys into the swamp, they tend to stand out and mallards love them... just my 2 cents
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 pm

I have killed more Ringnecks in swamps boarding big water when the pressure is really on them. Providing the body of water is beig enough to hold them. But singles and pairs all the time! I once killed some Ringnecks several miles away from any sustanial water on a small beaver pond off a canal. I bet the water was no more than 50x50.

If there is food, cover, security and it shelters them from the wind, heck yeah you can kill them there.
Hooked on Quack since 1994!
Mouse
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:27 pm

Well if you asked me this before this week I would have said that I doubt you'ld see many ringnecks in swamps.But then I scouted Flat River impdmt in Butner and I swear there were no less than 500 ringnecks in it. I talked to a guy from the Depot and he said he had never seen that many in it before this year.
Gopack
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting