Ducks flaring off decoys?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Ducks flaring off decoys?

Postby willb_raleigh » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Just curious if anyone has noticed a similar trend late in the season. I've been regularly hunting a beaver swamp adjacent to one of the Piedmont lakes. Generally I'll have a spread of 1 to 2 dozen mallards and 1 or 2 mojo ducks. I had not been exactly slaying them, but had decent luck in getting the ducks that came in to take a second look and often decoy so that I was getting one or two birds every time out. Within the last two weeks, the ducks would come over the upper swamp (I was hunting the lower) and appear to see my spread and make an obvious turn away. I've heard about them flaring off mojos, so this week I pulled the mojo out of the spread but had the same type of luck. I'd love to know if anyone else has noticed the same trend in this area.
willb_raleigh
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 pm

I haven't hunted main body of Jordan or falls but I've had several people tell me birds are EXTREMELY decoy shy because of all the sky busting going on recently.Even heard it' s getting to be an issue at Buckhorn. And with no good weather(bad weather) coming birds are being extremely picky: might be one of the worse endings for a season I can remember.
Gopack
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm

Lately I've gone small...no more than a dozen decoys...no mojo (don't use them regularly anyway) and a jerk string. Very little if any calling. Matter of fact, had 8 dekes out the other day with 3 on a jerk string and wound up with 4 mallards between two of us. Should have had more but the shooting was a little on the poor side that morning :laughing:

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dbohunts » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:38 am

Last weekend I hunted a permit hunt down east. The blinds were pretty close together and no one fired a shot all morning. We saw a descent number of birds but they had no interest in our dekes. At 11:00 we packed it in passing by some of the other blinds on our way out. When we got about 100 yards from our blind ducks started dropping into our hole. All of the other blinds were still being hunted with decoys, but the birds started dropping into our spot were we had just left. I thought about hunting it again with no dekes just to see.
dbohunts
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:44 am

debohunts,

Where you by chance hunting at bodie island?

It gets pretty bad late in the season down there.

marsh shooter
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby dbohunts » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Yea we were at bodie, more like Hawaii with the heat.
dbohunts
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:00 pm

I'm curious if come of the wiser ducks are faring at mojos now
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby yetz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 am

Mine was exactly the opposite.

Was hunting a beaver swamp this weekend as well, and the mallards made a quick flyby, turned and fully committed into the dekes. Finished up with 2 drakes and 1 hen. Missed on another lone drake and a drake woodie as well.

Had 2 dozen mallards and 1 mojo set.

Man I wished it was still goose season, They were everywhere!
Yetz
yetz
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:44 am

I beleive late in the season fewer dekes the better. Just make sure to set up at a place where the ducks want to be. Possibly ditch the boat, and hunker down in some reeds or something. Some of my best hunts have been w/ less than a dozen dekes and natural "cover" blinds.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:16 pm

try using just 8 or 10 decoys, pair them up and spread out the pairs that is the way i have been noticing live ducks sitting lately. this late in the season you want to make everything look just right watch the ducks in your hole and see how they are sitting, make your decoys look like that you will kill more birds
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby Gopack » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 pm

I have read a couple articles were Fred Zink talks about 8 dekes being his magic number late in the season. He says that educated birds seem to go for this setup more often than not. He has even gone all the way to 4 on bluebird days. Of course I'm talking geese more than ducks. And he also said he uses his best(most realistic)late. Well I'll be testing this theory tomorrow with 6 of Mr Zink's Greenhead Gear Pro motion's while lieing in a Zink Finisher!!!And If I don't slay'em well it's all Fred's Fault!!!! :mrgreen:
Gopack
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:26 am

I hunted the coast 3 days last week, and ended up hunting with 3 bufflehead dekes and had my best day. I noticed most of the buffle's where in pairs of 2 or 4, so I opt'd to use the 3 buffle head dekes that converted from teal dekes earlier this year. (a little black and white paint is all you need)
There were only buffleheads and coots down there, but the buffle's would come straight into my decoys. :hammering:
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting