Read the rules Boys.........

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Read the rules Boys.........

Postby Gopack » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:40 pm

I'm not calling anybody out but you know who you are. There is ALOT of people hunting permit only impoundments in Butner who are permitless!!Talked to the man today as I was leaving and he told me WRC is well aware of it and is cracking down. I know it's tempting, but it's not fair to the guys who get legit draws when you come in without a permit, LATE, and sit on the dyke and pass shoot. I have bitten my tongue for several years but no more. There are a handful of the same trucks I see several days in a row, not saying you couldn't luck out and draw ot that way but come on. Ok I'm stepping off the soap box.
Gopack
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:14 pm

You can hunt a couple of those impoundments with no permit. I know that some of the guys walk from those parking lots down to the lake to hunt.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:36 pm

I hunt the public impoundments around pamlico and have noticed a large number of non permit hunters as well as lots of people braking lots of laws such as in the impounment before four am or hunting with partys of 5-8 people on a 3 man permit hunt or running up at the last minute before shooting time and sitting on the dike and skybusting just to name a few, I shure wish the NCWRC would crack down on these people, :umm: its not really fare to the people that get permits and work hard scouting to get our hunts mesed up by these people. Not to metion hunting on noon hunt days :pissed:
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby Gopack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Yea, there ae=re "some guys that park on Brickhouse Rd and walk down, but I would say they were less than 2% of trucks you see in the parking lots. I was mainly talking about Flat River where there were an several times when the same vehicles in the lot 4-5 days in a row, not saying it couldn't happen but it would be tough.
Gopack
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Just to be fair, are you sure they're duck hunting? I hunt Flat River and there is a LOT of land in there - plenty of land accessible for deer, squirrel, and rabbit hunting as well as the duck impoundments.

If you saw the same guys duck hunting that's one thing, but there's no law saying you can't park in the impoundment parking lot and hunt small game every day of the season if you want to.

Speaking of Flat River, has anyone ever hunted doves in the Flat River "waterfowl" impoundments? I know you'd have to use steel shot within the marked fields but I was wondering if doves come into those fields when they are dry? Are they mowed/cut for dove hunting during the September season?

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Gopack » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:12 pm

yea fairly certain there duck hunting,have seen them walking out a few times. I have never seen/heardof anyone squireel hunting out there, but anythings possible. I haven't seen alot of doves but I'm not out there alot early in the season, but there are lots of spent hulls around fields, I think Brickhouse road feilds typically have more doves, though.
Gopack
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:33 am

They really should put "permit hunting only" on those signs that tell all about the impounments.
Basically they say "wade w/ caution, and have fun!"
I can see how some folks who are new to hunting don't know b/c they've never read the rule book.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am

Gopack,
Didn't mean to imply that anyone waist deep in water, wearing waders with dekes out is squirrel hunting - just meant to say that there are alot of woods and a number of clearcut fields with hedgerows adjacent to those Flat R impoundments. In other words - lots of other hunting opportunities in there, as well as in the other Butner impoundment areas. I've personally seen groups of rabbit hunters park in the Flat River parking lot and head into the game lands using the same road we use to get to the impoundments.

I like the idea about "reminder" signs in the impoundments that they are by permit only. Seems like this would be an idea that the Butner Depot people might like as well. Why not give them a call at 919-620-0089 and see what they think? These guys would be the ones posting the signs, no doubt.

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:36 pm

You know in all honesty the impoundments are not marked that well. MAybe a local DU chapter could help out one weekend with sgns or something. My concern is not just guys hunting the actual impoundments(in the dykes) but also guys sitting on the dykes or going to the cutover fields, creeks across the dyke from impoundments and pass shooting heck even seen guys jump shooting those creeks. And Flat River runs right around the impdmt, but it's not considered posted impdmt.
Gopack
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting