What about a MOJO?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What about a MOJO?

Postby dbohunts » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Alright guys,

Who uses a mojo? Do they work? Is it worth the money and the pain of lugging one more thing to the blind? I thought about getting a factory reconditioned mojo on ebay for nest year. If you do use one, what kind? (baby, teal, drake, remote, etc.)
dbohunts
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 pm

I use a "Lucky Duck"...Same principle as MOJO. I have seen ducks land almost on top of it...even with me walking around in the decoys. I have also seen it flare ducks. I personally think that on sunny days, it works better than on overcast days. I'm sure you will get a million different opinions on this one... I'd say it has definitely done me more good than harm.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:40 pm

I've had both good and bad thoughts about mine. I use it some, but not as much as I did at first. I have seen ducks practically nose dive on it, and then again I've thought it flared them at times too.
Pops dropped it in salt water the other day, so now it's shot. :umm: Maybe I can buy a new motor for it on ebay.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

mojo

Postby littleray » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I use the Lucky Duck too, but the wind has to be blowing a little. It works good. I like the jerk cord best though.
littleray
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:09 pm

I have got one, I find that it works best in the early season.

marsh shooter
marsh shooter
hunter

Re: mojo

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:27 am

littleray wrote: I like the jerk cord best though.

Best post I have seen on this site, don't worry about a robo or mojo or whatnot just make a cheap jerk string. Works 10X better than a robo because you can control it on and off. Even the mojo's with the remote if you stop them the wings may be sitting up but either way they are sitting out.

The first year robo's were out ducks would lock on them from 1/2 mile out, now they flare more ducks than they attract. They are good at getting a ducks attention but not good at getting them to committ the last 20 yards. OH wait my bad yeah get one or two or even 3, I will hunt the spread next to you with a jerk cord and I bet I take more shots. :) Early season on young ducks they work better than late in the year.

MD
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:45 am

i have a baby mojo and my hunting partner also has one. i think that early in the season and especially on foggy mornings they work really well, after abou the first hour of the morning i have seen them flare a lot of ducks i will usually take them down after the first group flares on them it may be early but if one duck flares on you something isnt right with your spread more than likely more ducks will flare i think that more than anything being able to switch things up helps. ill put one mojo about 10 feet out of the water and one right on the water and it seems to work well if everything else is right. i suggest you buy a mojo or two but dont leave it up all day long. ive killed more ducks with it thatn without it. good luck and i hope i could be some help.

Smokin'
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:44 pm

There was an article in some mag, maybe Wildfowl where some Wisconsin college students did a project with spinners. It was very well thought out and covered all the angles(weather, type of birds, location, same hunters, guns shot etc) of a typiclal duck hunt.Study basically said that hunters who used spinner dekes had LESS wounded/crippled birds than hunters who didn't use them, so I guess they were saying spinners produce close, more consistant shots. Again this study was in Wisconsin, quite a bit north of us. Personally I use one till about 2nd week of December, and even then I use it mainly with alot of fog, and absolutly NEVER BLUEBIRD DAYS!!But like Monroe, I always have a jerk string, in fact I have 4 different strings now, for different set-ups/conditions, and late in the season, that thing is golden!!
Gopack
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:59 pm

(if anyone wants one of these fine luckyducks to try out... i have one unopened in its package that im going to be selling, or trading for something cool... pm me if interested)
we started off with using one... now we have 5 that we use so it looks like a flock landing in the spread... i love 'em...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby willb_raleigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:33 pm

I agree with a lot of the posts already. They tend to work better in early season and will definitely flare off late season or more experienced birds. One additional consideration. At the recommendation of a local purveyor of such items, I opted for the floating MOJO. It is much more portable than the other types in that you can stuff it in a large backpack (I have the Final Approach waterfowlers rucksack and it fits perfect). Especially if you've got a long hump to get to your spot, it makes it worth it because you don't have to carry a heavy box and poles. Plus it moves around on the water which adds life on a still day. Drawbacks - plastic rather than metal wings, it may lose air (you're best off carrying a small ball pump in your pack because if it doesn't have enough air, it will flip over - disastrous in salt water - see previous post - and you cannot access the motor in this one without cutting it into pieces).
willb_raleigh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting