What its all about, Youth Day Results

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What its all about, Youth Day Results

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Took a fine young man on his first duck hunt this morning.

Shortly after first light we had 6 mallards work as well as you could ask, 3 passes and locked up on the 4th. He got to see them work around and dip their wings and turn back to the call. Don't know if his eyes got too big but he didn't connect with them 20 yards and backpeddling. I could tell he was a little dissappointed but I told him we all miss once in awhile :yes: Shortly after we had a pair of ruddys decoy in he missed on the 1 shot as they were sitting down and they took off at mach 1, fearing another scratch his second shot skipped the drake across the water. Another pair of mallards, this time 3 passes and locked up 15 yards out...unfortunately no dice. Next up 3 buffies that came in like they were on a rail and he folded 2 up like dishrags. We also had 2 geese come through about 35 yards and 3 feet off the water with no luck. He also managed to shoot 3 coots on the wing, I don't if I've ever even seen coots on the wing :cool: .

All in all a good morning. He really wanted one of those big ol' greenheads but he was all smiles all morning, thanking me over and over again.

The picture says it all :thumbsup:

Just curious, did anyone else get after them this morning?

Ducker

PS - Are there any taxidermists out there that might do a freebie for the young man on his buffie? Or possibly even reduced cost and I'll pick up the tab as money is tight with their
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCduckSlayer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:15 am

took my son out. he managed to drop 2 drake wood ducks and a nice drake mallard which is going on the wall. Saw more ducks on youth day than i did when the actual season was in but it was fun to watch him blast them down.
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:34 am

Congrats on the good hunts.

Ducker..Check your PMs @ the fuge.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:52 am

Mr. Taxidermist wrote:Congrats on the good hunts.

Ducker..Check your PMs @ the fuge.

This is the 4th year that I've taken a previous student, and each year it just seems to get better.

Got it this morning before church but didn't have time to respond. I appreciate your generous offer :thumbsup: I'm checking into a couple of local taxi's that have offered up as well, to keep me from having to head over to the Raleigh area. But then again I'll probably be headed over for the DDC. I'll let you know something soon.

Thanks again,

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

DUcks all over

Postby greenheadguy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:03 pm

My brother went to an impoudment in Hyde County, he limited out by 7:15 with,

1 wigeon
4 green wing teal
1 ringneck

The best hunt he's ever had.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby dbohunts » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 am

Awesome job Ducker!! Ive got the okay for starting my outdoors/waterfowl conservation club next year at my school. I will definately incorporate the youth hunt into to the program by rewarding a hard working student.
dbohunts
hunter

Youth hunt

Postby ripthosducks » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:46 pm

I went to hyde county on youth waterfowl day and got 1 wood duck
3 ring necks and a teal not a bad hunt,

Good job :thumbsup:
ripthosducks
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting