Looking for a Lab pup

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Looking for a Lab pup

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:12 am

Does anyone have a breeder that they reccomend? I'd like to find a dog nearby, but I am willing to travel for quality gun dog bloodline.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:07 am

Before this goes downhill on the field trial vs meat dog you might want to clarify what you are looking for in a pup?

If you want to run field trails and play that game, that is fine but you are looking for something other than a meat dog.

By meat dog I mean a dog that listens and brings back your birds. I am a bit biased but Pot Hole who just signed up here is where I got barley. those that have hunted or be around him know what a quality animal he is. obeys commands (Pot Hole did the training) and gets the birds I ask him to get, doesn't break doesn't cause any trouble in the blind.

I won't be any other dog than one from Pot Holes Kennels. I know he has a couple of litters about to hit the ground.

http://www.backcreekkennel.com/

You can email him using his web site or PM him on here. If you want to come see him he is in Mt. Ulla, just outside of salisbury. I will be more than happy to show you Barley and what a 5 year old dog out of back creek is like. I have no complaints at all with my dog from there.

He is the only dog I have owned so my experience is limited but I didn't get burned and Barley is everything I can ask for and more so I won't change going forward.

MD

Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:16 am

Barley is a fox red (yellow lab) I don't think Pot Hole has had another litter with reds in it but if he does I just might put one in for some training. I just like the reds as they vanash in the cattails of ND and coastal NC.

A few more pics.

Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Re: Looking for a Lab pup

Postby Pot Hole » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:53 pm

Duck U 2 wrote:Does anyone have a breeder that they reccomend? I'd like to find a dog nearby, but I am willing to travel for quality gun dog bloodline.

Color? Sex? Perhaps I can help.
Pot Hole
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:48 pm

I want a female, but not dead set on the color. Growing up, my dad always had a good waterfowling lab. His 1st one was a "meat dog", and a great hunter. His next 2 were field trial offspring, and man what a difference in the drive they had. He actually got one from Richard Wolters. I just think they'll be easier to train if there's a good bloodline behind them.

That's a fine looking dog there Monroe, and from the looks of things he's a fine hunter as well.
I prefer to train the dog myself using Rchard Wolters methods, and lots of training will produce a good dog. I'm not dead set on a field champ bloodline, but I think it comes more natural to a dog that has a background.
Pot Hole, I may be intersted in the pups you have coming. I haven't checked out your site yet, but I'm about to do that now.
Thanks for the replies guys.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:08 pm

There are some field trial dogs in Barleys line. I say he is a meat dog but I don't think you will find a dog with more drive than barley. As someone once told me he only has two speeds stop and go.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:27 am

Barley is a classic example of a dog assuming his owner's personality. :cool:
Pot Hole
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 am

I got my lab from EZ Retrievers near fayettville NC. The guy has excellant dogs for the $$ and even better that he has just joined Avery Team Retrieve! I looked and looked he is the best in NC that I found. Very clean kennel facility also.
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 am

Well Guys, I've decided to get one of the Chocolate Labs from "Pot Hole" at Back Creek Kennel. If I said I was excited; it'd be an understatement...

So, I have re-read my Water Dog book, and just cracked open the old Game Dog book. Both books were actually signed by the late Richard Wolters himself.
I'm really looking forward to have some fun with this pup. If all goes well she'll be ready for some dove hunting come September.

Thanks for everyone's help.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 pm

I know it's hard to tell from the pics I sent you, but these pups are HUGE! I guess with only four mouths to feed they are getting more than enough to keep them happy. Still looking for a home for the one yellow male in this litter. He's a handful at 2 weeks old!
Pot Hole
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Where is my check.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:03 pm

Might want to get w/ Pot Hole on the check Monroe :umm: :laughing: ...Thanks a lot for the reccomendation though.
Pot Hole, I would think it'd be easy to find a hunter looking for a yellow right now. Mid March is a perfect time to get a pup. It gives you all summer to train and get them used to water. Somebody's bound to be looking for one.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Duck U 2 wrote:....Pot Hole, I would think it'd be easy to find a hunter looking for a yellow right now. Mid March is a perfect time to get a pup. It gives you all summer to train and get them used to water. Somebody's bound to be looking for one.

That's true. Honestly, I haven't even advertised this litter outside of my web site, so I feel pretty sure he'll be gone when the litter is ready to go.

Being the only male in the litter means he's having to grow up with a bunch of girls, but that should just make him tougher. :thumbsup:
Pot Hole
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:00 am

Duck U 2 wrote:Might want to get w/ Pot Hole on the check Monroe :umm: :laughing: ...Thanks a lot for the reccomendation though.

Duck yeah my comment was directed at Mr. Pot Hole. You know my kick back fee for the referal and all that. Let me know when you are coming to see/get your pup I ain't far from him and always like to put a face with a name.

MD
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:34 am

10-4 I'll be coming the weekend of March 18th. We may ride down and see her beforehand, but I'm not sure just yet.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting