Crow hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Crow hunting

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Copied this off a thread on the Honey Hole forum. Not sure if anyone here hunts crows, but I do. Haven't done it this year, but they're plentiful around here. They will flare more than ducks at times, but with a nice decoy spread and a portable blind, it can be a lot of fun. You don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to do it either. Oh, and dogs love it too.

Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was "Kill a crow, Save a duck". At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:53 pm

I wish I could hunt crows during the warmer months - but my only hunting access is on NC game lands. And if I read the regulations correctly, once "game" seasons are closed, it's unlawful to carry a shotgun on game lands. I've been meaning to call or write the NCWRC asking them to reconsider this law, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I would also like to be able to hunt coyotes year round on game lands, but this too is impossible (unless I want to try it with the .22 rimfire sidearm that I can legally carry on game lands year-round).

Anybody out there know where a responsible hunter can get access to hunt crows during the summer months, within an hour's drive of the Triangle?

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm

JrCoach_Lou wrote:Anybody out there know where a responsible hunter can get access to hunt crows during the summer months, within an hour's drive of the Triangle?

Lou

Being that there is a season on Crows

Crow

Wednesday, Friday and Saturday of each week
between June 1, 2005, and Feb. 28, 2006 plus
Labor Day and Christmas Day

I would think starting June 1 you could hunt crows on game lands.

I just read the restriction and I see your point. Wish they would clarify.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:53 pm

When I was at State we regularly hunted all of the surrounding gamelands for crows starting June 1. Like MD said, since there is a season for crows that begins on June 1 you can hunt them.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 pm

Hmm, maybe I'm reading too much into the NCRWC regs, maybe I'm not. A while back I had spoken to an enforcement officer while I was at the NCWRC building in Raleigh, about coyote hunting on gamelands outside of "game" seasons. He warned me about it not being legal to have a rifle or shotgun on game lands when no "game" season was open. But I didn't specifically ask him about "crow season" then. During our discussion, he pointed out that a coyote wasn't considered a "game animal". But there is no place that I could find in the regs where "game animals" were actually defined or listed (vs. "other animals" that could be hunted). If what you're saying is true, that crow season constitutes a season in which it's legal to hunt gamelands with a shotgun, then a person should be able to hunt coyote during crow season on gamelands with a shotgun as well?

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Not sure about that one but it makes sense. Unfortunately, you will probably get several different vague answers from anyone within the WRC. I asked about frog gigging some of the ponds on gamelands over around Apex and was told since it wasn't a "game" species you would have to have permission from the gameland owner to remove them.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:55 am

The regulation # to call is 919-662-4381. THey should be able to give you the facts.
I have mostly hunted them on private land. I did hunt them once at Brickhouse Rd. dove fields in February, and the GW rode right by me. I hade decoys out and I'm sure that he saw our blind.
I beleive farmers can get a permit to kill them or have them killed year round. :hammering:

I love shooting them. Haven't done it in a while, but I've got about a dozen dekes and an owl decoy. I might have to go shoot em' up next Saturday if it doesn't rain. Bluebird days are the best time to go.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Brooks » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:50 pm

So what exactly do you do with them after you kill em? I've never even heard of crow hunting.
Brooks
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:10 pm

Well Brooks,
You could use them for training the dog, or maybe donate them to the "Hunters for the Hungry" I suppose. I'm not gonna lie to you and tell you that I grill them up or anything, but the article I read years ago that got me intersted said they were good eatin' :cool:
I really don't know first hand.

Honestly, I always disposed of mine. If they kill ducklings, and there's a season on them I don't mind killing a few even though I don't eat them.

One note about Crows that I'll add. They're the only know native bird in North America that can be taught to talk.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:57 am

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Now, THAT was funny. I couldn't stop laughing!!
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:36 pm

Them crow busters are the real deal, last year I really got into crow hunting and killed maybe 5 or 6 on a good day. Its the heat that got me last summer crow hunting, you just have to wait for a cloudy day. I learned all I needed to know from crowbusters to get out there for the first time, it was a blast too. here around Pitt county you can ask almost any farmer and he will let you crow hunt on his land. they are extremely smart and have crazy good eyesight, so be prepared.
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:34 am

On a summer day I bet it is hot. I always hunt them after duck season, or between the splits.
Their eysight is amazing. Plus they can just hover over and look v/s just making a few passes like ducks do. Full camo is a must.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting