Survey to Ban Duck Hunting on Norman

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Survey to Ban Duck Hunting on Norman

Postby tsmart » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:44 am

Some woman got mad at some duck hunters.
I don't really know if they were too close to her dock, or not, or chasing a cripple, or if they were rubberheads, or not..... but now they want to try and ban duck hunting on Lake Norman here in NC (this is above the Hwy 150 Bridge, no distance laws apply).

They should worry more about drunk recreational boaters, which cause several deaths per year on Lake Norman.

The Mayor of Cornelius, NC is lobbying the State to ban duck hunting on Lake Norman. His point it "to avoid a potential disaster".

What about the disasters that happen with drunk boaters and skiing every year? I guess instead of dealing with the disasters on the books, he wants to deal with "potential" disasters instead...

Please take a moment, to summit a vote and help out.
The survey is about 1/2 way down on this page:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29873973/detail.html

Thanks,
T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Re: Survey to Ban Duck Hunting on Norman

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31 pm

57 incidents this past summer for DWI with a boat on Lake Norman, 0 incidents in 20 years for duck hunters. Looks like they have another more serious issue.

Vote NO!
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:30 pm

This is a situation where the hunting community needs to stand up for our rights. I don't doubt that this incident involved people who "hunt ducks" not duck hunters and they probably were in the wrong. However this isolated incident has no relevance to duck hunting on lake Norman as a whole. My family has a house on Norman and I have hunted there for the last several years. It really upsets me that one isolated incident, that although potentially wrong, could spur the initiative to push for a hunting ban on the lake. I urge everyone to follow this story closely and to stand up for yours and my right to pursue hunting on our local bodies of water. If this passes and hunting is banned on Norman not only will we lose a resource to hunt but more individuals will be trying to hunt further limited public water thus overcrowding it. We should also remember that even if you have never hunted Lake Norman you never know which landowner will cry wolf next thus pushing for other closures for the public water you hunt. I agree with measures to keep idiots who choose to hunt unethically off the water but the answer is not to ban hunting. We need to stand together as a hunting community and refuse to let this happen.

HBD
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Postby ducks-n-bucks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Is this thread the same situation? I was afraid this was going to go that way.....

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=170174
ducks-n-bucks
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I wonder if WSOC is going to post the results of its survery? Want to really blow their minds, go to every state page on DHC and other duck hunting fourms its posted on and ask them to submit a reply to the survey as well. You could easily get support from thousands of duck hunters all over the internet in a matter of minutes.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby DDTHNC » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:15 pm

I couldn't find the survey but that is complete BS!!! :mad:
Life is tough, but it's even tougher when your stupid. John Wayne
DDTHNC
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Its still there, click on the link at the bottom of T-Smarts post.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 pm

I just voted against the ban. So far, 40 votes to ban, 500+ against.

This is a good use of this forum. Whoever said it is right: today it'll be Lake Norman. Next year another large public body. Soon we'll all have 1 square mile in the middle of the Pamlico to hunt in.

With that said: I sure would like to have a word with the jackleg who fired his weapon that close to a home at 0930 in the morning. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

A few years back some similar minds set up in their floating blinds directly in front of military housing near Lejeune. We came within a wisker of having the CG ban hunting in any waters adjacent to base property. Some thought he didn't have the authority----he certanly did (and still does).

Spread the word to the young and dumb: forget minimum distances in hunting regs, forget the maximum effective range of a shotgun. None of it matters. If you can shout to talk to person on his her property, you're too damn close to hunt.

Good luck Norman hunters. This is REALLY bad
Paul26
hunter

Postby bahester » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

It's a shame people don't have to take a common sense test to even have a hunting license. Just don't be an idiot and be respectful to other people (landowners, other hunters, just generally anyone you encounter while hunting). It's a shame we even have these issues :sad:
bahester
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Dingbatter wrote:I wonder if WSOC is going to post the results of its survery? Want to really blow their minds, go to every state page on DHC and other duck hunting fourms its posted on and ask them to submit a reply to the survey as well. You could easily get support from thousands of duck hunters all over the internet in a matter of minutes.

By the way, it will let you vote more than once. :hi:
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby ducks-n-bucks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 am

PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:I wonder if WSOC is going to post the results of its survery? Want to really blow their minds, go to every state page on DHC and other duck hunting fourms its posted on and ask them to submit a reply to the survey as well. You could easily get support from thousands of duck hunters all over the internet in a matter of minutes.

By the way, it will let you vote more than once. :hi:

Nice, keep hitting it! When you vote it shows the results in a pop up.
ducks-n-bucks
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 pm

93 % in support of the duck hunters, holy smoke! :biggrin:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 pm

Its a shame one group of idiots can possibly ruin it for everyone. There is no reason you should be that close to a house that it comes to anything like this. I dont know the hole story but if these guys were right off the ladies dock they were in the wrong. Even if it is legal you shouldnt do it. It doesnt look like there is a ton of huntable land out there anyways, unless other areas arent as populated.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Below is a copy of a email I got from a friend. It gives the email address of the people who vote. Please do your part.

Dear Sportsmen and Sportswomen,

As you may or may not know on November 23rd and 24th there were articles on the front page of the Charlotte Observer regarding duck hunters on Lake Norman. The first article was about a homeowner complaining that duck hunters were hunting to close to homes on the lake. The next day there was an article with Mayor Tarte of Cornelius calling for a ban on duck hunting in and around the lake in Mecklenburg County before something catastrophic happens. As you well know, if we as hunters and sportsmen passively allow this to happen, they will keep taking and taking and taking until we have no hunting rights left. We cannot afford to allow this to happen.

I am urging everyone to read the articles (I am including links below) and contact Mayor Tarte and those he has commissioned to take up this fight - NC Speaker of the House Thom Tillis, and County Commissioner Karen Bentley - and let them know how you feel about your hunting rights being jeopardized. There are for more accidents on the lake every year caused by alcohol and boating, then there are hunting accidents. I am currently researching to try and find statistics proving this, though I cannot recall the last time, if ever, that I have heard of a hunting accident on the lake.

We need to bombard these people with e-mails letting them know that we are not going to let our rights be taken without a fight. Please forward this along to your hunting friends and anyone else you feel can help make a difference.

Your friend in the field,

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/1 ... -cove.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/1 ... -near.html

Mayor Jeff Tarte mayor@cornelius.org
NC Speaker of the House Thom Tillis thom.tillis@ncleg.net
County Commissioner Karen Bentley karen.bentley@mecklenburgcountync.gov

Sent from my iPad
ibedamn
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:54 am

I took some time to email Mayor Tarte. Hunting on this public body of water is my right as a licensed hunter and it sickens me to think that it could be taken away after one upset homeowner speaks out. Please take a few minutes to send an email and explain to them why hunting should NOT be banned. Thanks

HBD
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 am

ibedamn wrote:Mayor Jeff Tarte mayor@cornelius.org
NC Speaker of the House Thom Tillis thom.tillis@ncleg.net
County Commissioner Karen Bentley karen.bentley@mecklenburgcountync.gov

I e-mailed Tillis yesterday.

I e-mailed all 3 today. :thumbsup:

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 am

tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Some info has come to light....

Apparently the duck hunters in question (that has caused this issue), were hunting over 700 yards away from an occupied dwelling. Well out of shotgun range... and plenty far enough to not cause an issue.

They shot a bird, and it flew off wounded.
They observed the bird fly over to the shore line, and get on the bank onto private property.
They approached the home owner, and ask permission to try and retrieve the bird, and was granted permission to get the bird.
Then, once they were GRANTED permission a " neighbor lady" threw a fit - and was the one that made an issue of this situation.

Comes from a pretty informed source... so maybe the 2 dudes wasn't rubberheads after all......

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 am

Here is a copy of an email I received.

Sportsmen & Sportswomen,

Below are links to the officials in Mecklenburg County and the Town of Cornelius that we need to send letters to. It looks like the NRA and Delta Waterfowl are going to be involved in our fight, but sadly Ducks Unlimited has refused to get involved. Keep the letters going!

Thank you,

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ ... /home.aspx

http://www.cornelius.org/contact-us/79- ... -officials
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I sent emails last week. Good luck fellas. This could affect all of us.
Paul26
hunter

Postby daveusa99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but things have gotten worse around duck hunting on Lake Norman and everyone has been very quiet about it. Apparently, the genius legislators from Troutman pushed a bill up to the NC House. House Bill 186 which is currently under review in the NC General Assembly. In this bill, they are requesting that each town (inclusive of Troutman, Mooresville, Cornelius, Huntersville and any others they plan to add) can extend their town ordinances 2,500 feet over the high water mark of Lake Norman. Essentially 1/2 mile into the lake which covers almost all of the Lake one side to the other. The ordinances of the towns say you cannot discharge a firearm in town limits. So, while they are not "banning" duck hunting in essence they are unless you plan on hunting them with a bow and arrow and even then, I believe that is considered a "firearm". This is extremely bad as not only would it essentially ban hunting on Lake Norman but it would set a precedent for all other NC counties to do the same and essentially ban all duck / goose hunting on all lakes of NC. I have already written all my legislative reps for Iredell complaining, alerted the NRA, DU, and Delta Waterfowl about it but for every hunter that starts pushing to get rid of this bill, the better. I believe this is all coming up from that incident with the lady on the lake who lives in Troutman. Plus, Federal laws state that they have jurisdiction over all water from the high tide mark but if NC passes this, they will over ride that and it would require legal action by citizens to bring it up to the State Supreme Court to overturn it. Good luck with that one. If this rediculous law is passed, you can essentially forget all duck / goose hunting on lakes in NC. This is very very important to defeat.
daveusa99
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 am

Sounds about right for NC.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting