feed the woodies

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

feed the woodies

Postby TARHEEL3ID » Thu May 18, 2006 5:28 pm

I know alot of people who bait a few months before the season, but does it do any good to feed all year. I know it has to be up 10 days before you hunt. Also what is good to feed/plant for them?
TARHEEL3ID
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Thu May 18, 2006 7:01 pm

good question... I normally start throwing corn around october and due it until a couple of weeks before I plan to hunt.
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Preferred plant foods are duck weeds, cone scales, and gall from cypress, tubers of many kinds, and the seeds of sedges, rushes, and grasses. Seeds of wild rice, smartweeds, pondweeds, and water lillies are especially preferred. Other preferred plant foods are the fruits of many trees, shrubs, and vines. These include water elm, wild grape, swamp privet, buttonbush, oaks, beech, tupelo gum, and hickories.

The wood duck is especially fond of small acorns, particularly those of water oak, Willow oak, nuttall oak, cherrybark oak, and shumard oak. In years of high production, these small acorns are the wood duck's most important winter food. Woodies search for small acorns on the forest floor and even in trees before acorns drop, but they prefer acorns that fall into shallow water--15 inches and less.

Preferred agricultural crops are browntop millet, buckwheat, corn, dove proso, foxtail millet, grain sorghum, Japanese millet, pearl millet, and soybeans. Preferred animal foods are spiders, large insects, and crustaceans. The wood duck is especially fond of spiders--sometimes spiders make up to 80 percent of the woodie's stomach content.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby TARHEEL3ID » Mon May 29, 2006 6:16 am

So, where can i get some spiders to throw out around my ponds?
TARHEEL3ID
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting