Crow hunting NC Gamelands outside of "game" season

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Crow hunting NC Gamelands outside of "game" season

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Wed May 31, 2006 7:55 am

Folks, there's a lot of experience here and I'd appreciate hearing some of it.

I don't have access to private land and would like to hunt some crows on gamelands this summer, the season opens tomorrow, I believe.

I'm reading the NC gameland regulations, http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/pg2a3.pdf and under "Game Lands Restrictions" (p.45 of the book) it says "During closed seasons on game birds and game animals, it is unlawful to possess any firearm or bow and arrow readily available for use." There are some exceptions listed, such as being allowed to carry a .22lr pistol as a sidearm.

I checked the NCWRC definition of "game birds" located at http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/pg2d1.htm and crows are NOT listed under Migratory game birds, or Upland game birds.

So, taking what I read literally, it appears as though a person cannot hunt crows on gamelands outside of other open game seasons.

Has anyone ever discussed this with the NCWRC gamelands people, or with an enforcement officer? I plan to contact both, but would like to hear other folks experiences as well, especially if you've ever discussed it with your local enforcement officer.

Thanks,
Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed May 31, 2006 10:35 am

crows are called out as NON Game birds.

There was some past discussion but I am not sure what was the final outcome. Call your local, or the local warden to where you want to hunt.
Yeah I'm a curmudgeon and I like it that way. Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't ask me for help if you already think you know how to do everything. If you want my opinion just sit back and I'll share.
Monroeduck
hunter

Game lands crow hunting

Postby THIN MAN » Wed May 31, 2006 2:18 pm

Monroe is right, talk with a warden first. Better be safe than sorry! As you probably already know the laws are written to be taken very litteral. I almost found out the hard way during duck season!
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:15 am

I'd call this # right here 919-707-0030. You should be able to get the correct info from a game warden.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting