New Goose hunter

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New Goose hunter

Postby Duckslayer76 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 pm

I have been duck hunting for a couple years.Now i am looking to start goose hunting in central north carolina and places like that. i was just wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers on what i need to get decoy wise (i.e Floaters,Shells, Rags) i am huntig both fields and water small ponds mainly.
Duckslayer76
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:42 am

Drive by some of these houses that have 3-4 decoys in the yard. Grab those up until you have about a dz. Then put those into a field where you have seen geese. Set up a lawn chair and wait. They are not the smartest birds on the planet.

That being said find the field and I 'll show up with some layout blinds and more dekes than I care to put out.

Gonna have to bring NCSUDucker as well but we will come ready.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:07 pm

Buy the best you can afford. No substitute for realism. Avery, final aproach and big foot are all great looking decoys. A dozen or less of both full bodies and floaters will be plenty to get started. If the areas you hunt receive little to no pressure, you could probably use half dozen or so.

This is the advice I received when getting started, I hope it helps.
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:31 pm

I've got a dozen brand new (still in the box) G&H canada floaters I'll sell ya. $175 - no shipping.
Pot Hole
hunter

Postby Gopack » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Pot Hole, WOW, The Pot Hole has reappeared!!!Pot Hole, not looking to good for the Pack this Fall. But , with that being said, Justin Burke is a STUD and will probably be starting by 4th game I hear. Anyway, about geese, I don't know of any reason to buy more than 6 floaters, unless you are ONLY huning geese. I started out with 6 shells and had just as good luck it seems as I do now with a spread of 4 dozen. Rarely use more than 8-12 beginning of the season cause most birds are still in their family groups and somewhat reluctant to leave them to mingle with others. And start sloppy. few dekes, not alot of camo, and get better as birds get wise. A layout blind is nice but I hunted first 2 seasons on a Walmart beach chair I cut the legs off and camo over the top!!And it's up to you but I recommend a Big River Flute, just SO much easier starting out than those ^%$#@#%^^short reeds, trust me.
Gopack
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:28 am

Gopack wrote:Pot Hole, WOW, The Pot Hole has reappeared!!!Pot Hole, not looking to good for the Pack this Fall. But , with that being said, Justin Burke is a STUD and will probably be starting by 4th game I hear...

Ye of little faith. If our offensive line gels, we will have a running game second to none. Even an average QB can hand-off to the blue-chippers residing in our backfield. Better to take a "wait and see" approach on that one.

Now who wants to buy my canada floaters?
Pot Hole
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting