18' Duckhunter Build...

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

18' Duckhunter Build...

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:21 pm

Most of you guys have seen this on the Refuge or Southern Sporting Designs but I thought I would post it up for those of you that haven't.

I'm working on an 18' version of the Duckhunter for a customer out in Oregon. I've been working on it for about 10 days so far. The pictures will be in order from the start (this will be the abbreviated version as I've posted more pictures on the other sites)...

Here's a picture of my Duckhunter plus a previous customer's Duckhunter just for reference (the originaly DH is a little over 14')

Starting out, sides attached and floor flushed up to the chines...

Another, different view....

Flipped back upright with rubrails installed...

Bow, transom and bulkheads installled...

Knees and bracing installed...
Last edited by NCSUDucker on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:24 pm

Rear compartment, outside sections will be filled with emergency foam...

Closeup of the gunracks and pushpole holders built into the knees...

Cockpit framed in....

Where the rocker panel will go...

Front compartment boxed in, again, emergency foam in the outside sections....
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:26 pm

Interior painted for the most part, plus bedliner sprayed in...

Another...

Another...

Last one for now....

Next up is installing the sides, decking and coaming. Hope to be done with everything except painting by July 4.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby THIN MAN » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 pm

WOW :eek: That things gonna be sweet when you're done. I bet it's even more impressive in person.
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:05 pm

THIN MAN wrote:WOW :eek: That things gonna be sweet when you're done. I bet it's even more impressive in person.

Thanks...you're more than welcome to stop by and take a look since you're local.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck U 2 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:53 am

Nice work man! :thumbsup:
I've been wanting to build me a layout boat or a stealthy kayak type of boat, but just haven't had the time. Maybe this winter...
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:13 pm

DUCKER pm at ya.
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:23 pm

NCSU very nice, I checked out your page a while ago, definitly looks like a good boat for certain situations.What's your beam width on the 18'?Also by chance do you know about how much water you are drafting with the 14'?Once again nice lookin' boats
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:NCSU very nice, I checked out your page a while ago, definitly looks like a good boat for certain situations.What's your beam width on the 18'?Also by chance do you know about how much water you are drafting with the 14'?Once again nice lookin' boats

Thanks for the kind words. The widest point on the floor is 60" and the widest point on the rubrails before the decking slopes back in is roughly 69" on the 18' version. As for the draft on 14, its around 5"...less when on step. I'm running a MB Hyperdrive on the first boat I built and it will move right on through the skinny no problem.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Here's the latest. The sides and coaming have been installed and the coaming has been glassed. The compartment doors are done with the exception of hardware. I also went ahead and made the shell/drink holders while I was killing time waiting on the coaming to dry. Next up will be glassing the deck, front and rear and then glassing the sides. After that the only thing remaining on the top side will be installing the grass rails and finishing up the paint on the interior. Lastly, it will need to be flipped so I can glass the keel strips.

Note the brown floor is actually paper down to keep from dripping epoxy on the bedliner...

Thought these turned out really nice and will be even nicer once painted. The white around the cup holder is 3M 5200...

Attached to the coaming...

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:54 am

Coming along nicely, what is the plan for the motor for the 18?I'm real curious, you need to take some video of one of the boats wit ha mud buddy I'd like to see wah tit can handle

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:03 am

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Coming along nicely, what is the plan for the motor for the 18?I'm real curious, you need to take some video of one of the boats wit ha mud buddy I'd like to see wah tit can handle

According to the numbers I ran a 40hp would be what is suggested, however if it were mine I would run a 50 or 60. Transom strength nor weight will be an issue. It rates lower because of the relatively narrow width of the transom compared to the widest point of the boat. If the transom was as wide as the widest point it would rate for a 90 tiller or 120 remote :eek:

As for video, there is a short clip of me running the mud motor on the bottom of my webpage, [url]http//:www.tollerboatworks.com[/url] We're planning on taking some more before too long. That is if I can get a break in building. I've got another 14' version ordered and 99% sure of another 14' version ordered.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 am

Wow I could only imagine that thing with a 90 or better yet a 120 on it! :yes: What would you guess the weight in the end for the boat alone for the 18'?I'm still thinking a 50 or 60 horse is going to push you alone in the probably high 30's low 40's?I'm on my way to your page to check out the link, I'll let you know what I think

The dang video isn't playing for me, it shows the picture then it laods but doesn't work :umm:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:49 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Wow I could only imagine that thing with a 90 or better yet a 120 on it! :yes: What would you guess the weight in the end for the boat alone for the 18'?I'm still thinking a 50 or 60 horse is going to push you alone in the probably high 30's low 40's?I'm on my way to your page to check out the link, I'll let you know what I think

The dang video isn't playing for me, it shows the picture then it laods but doesn't work :umm:

Not sure why the video isn't working, its just hosted on photobucket and works from other computers I've been on. As for the weight, probably 350-400. Not much more than the 14' built out of a/c pine. The marine ply is so much lighter, for instance, a 3/4 sheet of a/c weighs 90 lbs while a 3/4 sheet of marine (okoume BS 1088) weighs 60 lbs.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:32 pm

Here's the latest pictures and the last for a week as we're headed on vacation to upstate NY for a wedding and then over to Ohio to visit some family.

The top and sides are glassed and ready to paint after a light sand. All of the lights are wired in. The hatch door is complete but needs to be attached. You will notice the raised lip around the hatch and the neoprene that lines the inside of the hatch to make a water tight seal. The top deck grass rails have been installed, I still need to install the side grass rails and the rear ones. Lastly the rear handles have been installed.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Finally back in town and back to work.

Here's the latest pictures. The top and interior are done except for a second coat of paint and a few minor details. Next up will be flipping her one more time to glass the keel strips and paint the bottom.

Image.

I'll be starting 2 14' versions the start of next week.

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:42 pm

Very Nice NCSUDucker, I'm impressed!!!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:02 am

I've looked at your stuff on flea bay. I must say I love them. Just not appropriate for my presents situation.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby uncduckman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 am

NCSUDucker wrote:Finally back in town and back to work.

Here's the latest pictures. The top and interior are done except for a second coat of paint and a few minor details. Next up will be flipping her one more time to glass the keel strips and paint the bottom.

[img]

Ducker

I hope you have kids that shot some of those deer ... Bambi look out.

Just messin with you. boat is awesome
uncduckman
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:47 am

uncduckman wrote:
I hope you have kids that shot some of those deer ... Bambi look out.

Just messin with you. boat is awesome

Thanks y'all! As for the deer, don't really care much for a rack. Have only killed one nice one to date, but we love to eat deer meat :thumbsup: Also I hunt on my uncle's farm where they farm soybeans, the more deer we shoot the happier man he is :toofunny:

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:01 am

Here's the latest. She's pretty much done. All I need to do now is flip her back over to do the camo and build the dog ladder for it. There's a chance my customer is going to have his motor shipped here or purchased here so that I can take it out for a little test run (fingers crossed!) Anyway, here's the latest pictures....

Here's a shot of the cockpit cover glassed and painted....

And lastly a shot of the completed shell and drink holder. These just hang on the coaming, scroll back in the thread to see an example...

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:03 pm

LOOKING GOOD Ducker! :thumbsup: What kind of camo pattern is going on it?

THIN MAN
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:41 pm

THIN MAN wrote:LOOKING GOOD Ducker! :thumbsup: What kind of camo pattern is going on it?

THIN MAN

I've got a custom job that I do that will look similar to this:

However, they all come out a little different :thumbsup:

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Just a couple of more pictures. I took some new ones of the LEDs at night for my website. The amount of light these things put out is INCREDIBLE!

Here's one of the individual LED...

The following were made in complete darkness with only the LEDs illuminating the interior of the boat...

A better view of the shell/drink holder and how it attaches...

Just a shot of the bedliner that I took for my website to replace the pictures where I used to roll it on versus spraying...

Again, another shot taken to update my webpage. A view of the completed rocker panel and one of the auxiallary outlets...

Finally the last is of the started camo job, I went ahead and did the camo below the rubrails as it was easier to do when it was upside down...

Next up is to complete the camo topside and a few other minor details and she'll be complete!

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Here's a couple of the latest photos. I've got one side and the rear camo'ed Still have to do the decking and the other side but thought I would post a few pics....

A little closer...

And finally a shot of the rear

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting