NC ducks

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

NC ducks

Postby TooTall » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:12 pm

I've not been thrugh an entire season in NC yet and was wondering...

Do yall get many mallards or canadas here durring duck season?
I've hunted the Mississippi flyway my entire life so most of my spread consists of mallards. Are there enough mallards to justify putting out 50 or more mallards in a spread? Also do yall have many canadas? residents or migrants. I have about 100 canada shells that I will sell if there aren't any huntable populations in the coastal region.

Just wondering
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 pm

You can pay 500 a day to use them. :)

It really just depends on where you are. I don't think I have witnessed but one large group of mallards while hunting in NC.

Geese yes residents all over the place.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:16 pm

First of all, i'm by no means the most exp hunter here. But the largest group of mallards i've seen was approx 50. That was under perfect conditions, major cold front over nite brought 4-6 in of snow and 35-40 mph winds. During the short opener we'll use half dozen max and rarely more than 2doz the rest of season for puddlers. Opening wk 2yrs ago i killed my limit one afternoon with just 2 decs. As for geese, I don't have enough exp to give a opinion. If your like me and don't have enough time to travel much... GOOD LUCK!
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Oh yea! Forgot to mention that i'm not hunting down east. Primarily the peidmont. :thumbsdown: :help:
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Will it spook ducks to have 50 mallards in a spread with several other species? How are the canadas here in the eastern part of the state?
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:33 am

I have personally observed about 300-400 mallards in one beaver pond. It is unusual, but definitely not unheard of.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:20 pm

scout your spot and get a feel for the area hefore you invest heavy in any one type of decoy... cant go wrong with mallard decoys around here... in the timber thats all we use ( and some canadas).. on the coast we use mostly mallards (probably 5 dozen super mag and mags) and then a mix of other stuff... you should be fine but put some pintails or widgeon or geese mixed in for some color and a different look... a black duck or two never hurts either
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:33 pm

Yeah, I've some ten or eleven different species of waterfowl decoys. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be unnatural to have that many mallards out.

Thanks for the replies.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting