special hunts

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

special hunts

Postby blindretrieve » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:37 pm

I just got the new special hunts book and thought about putting in for a few. I have never done it before and I have some questions...Anybody know anything about the blinds at currituck? Can you put your boat under them or do u have to hide the boat somewhere? Which blinds are good or bad? Any suggestions on which hunts to put in for? Also, the croatan game land has a duck impoundment in it called catfish lake, can you hunt that? And if you can what are the laws around it? Any info. on any special hunt will be greatly appreciated. Once again thanks guys for all the help.
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Team Duckman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:23 pm

If you are unfamiliar with the waters around Currituck, I'd not chance it without either going out with a guide in the area first or someone who hunts the area alot.

Several of those blinds are 2-3+ mile boat rides from the landing on open water. Water depths are greatly affected in that area by wind.

You must have a GPS unit to locate the right blind as there are blinds every 500 yds in all directions in the area.
Team Duckman
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:55 pm

thanks for the advice......Come on only one person has a comment?? Everybody must be fishing and not worried about the up coming birds!!!
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Nobody puttin in for any permit hunts?
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:19 am

'tuck is a funny special place. Yes you can put in for blinds there, most folks wouldn't even think about it without having been there before with a local that knows where to go. Water can blow out of there quick and without warning and you could be left high and dry. If you do it be careful. permits are a lottery system, A lot of times folks don't want more people putting in as it will reduce their chances of getting drawn so I don't think many folks are going to help you with specifics. Not trying to be rude just being honest.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:13 am

It might be worth it to you to take a fishing trip down that way and do some scouting. Definately read the specifics about tide and winds in the special hunts book. When you're down that way, talk to some folks and see if you can get any advice on the water. You need to know what you're doing down there before you go and try to hunt it.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting