Raleigh Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Raleigh Hunting

Postby slowgo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:37 pm

Im a student here in Raleigh and Im wanting to bring my boat up to hunt this year instead of going home all the time. Is it worth it? I have no idea where to hunt, or where you can hunt. I've got a 20hp MB Longtail on a 14ft jon so gettin to places isnt an issue, at least small water. Just let me know whats out there, lakes, swamp, flats whatever you can hunt.
slowgo
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 am

i go to state as well... havent done much hunting around raleigh, i usually hike out to the coast... Its alot of work and alot of scouting with minimal results usually... I havent ever put as much time as i should around here cause the few times i have its just not worth the time... to many other hunters and usually your great spot is the great spot for alot of other people... But there are a few lakes with 30 minutes of state that you can hunt and some impoundments... good luck
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby slowgo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 pm

What are the lakes/rivers within 30 minutes? Just need some names and locations of places to hunt, I'll do all the research as far as if there are birds there or not. I could care less about "taking over" someones hot spot, Im just looking for a body of water I can hunt in.
slowgo
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Check out the NCWRC webpage. You have some decent hunting around you, you'll just need to get out and scout. Jordan, Butner-Falls of the Neuse and Shearon Harris (although its small and can get a little crazy) are all within 30 minutes of you. We did well on Jordan when I was in college. There are also a number of state managed impoundments on Butner that are permit only. Check the Resources Commission special hunt booklet or page to find out how to apply.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slowgo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Yea I was looking at the maps on the webpage. I dont see where these impoundments are on there. Harris to me looks like itd be fun to get out on but reading the rules and regs for that place Im worried Im gonna roll up on someplace I shouldnt be. From the sound of things Im gonna need a guide out there.
slowgo
hunter

Postby slowgo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Anybody know anything about Lake Wheeler or Lake Benson? Not sure where they are exactly, or even if you can hunt there. Just asking.
slowgo
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:31 pm

I know you can't hunt lake wheeler, not sure about benson...don't remember it. As for the special hunts on the impoundments go to the NCWRC page and you will see a link Special Hunt Opportunities down towards the bottom.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:37 pm

You don't need a guide on Harris...you just need to find you a spot and get there before dark on the evening before you hunt. Last time I went, I got to the ramp at 3am and there were 30 trucks in the parking lot. There was a guy in the spot I really wanted, so I went around the bend 500-600 yds and found another space. Neither of us fired a shot! Falls can get a little crowded as well. It really all depends on when and where you go. Weekdays aren't bad, but Saturdays, you should expect company. Haven't hunted Jordan, so I can't comment.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby duckaholic2285 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:13 am

I go to state and we do alright hunting the lakes an impounds around falls and jordan. but there is tons of hunting pressure, and lots of scouting just to shoot a few birds, but beats goin to class
duckaholic2285
hunter

Postby Gopack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:43 pm

All you State guys need to just go to Wal-Mart, your closest one is probably in Garner right off of Tryon Rd, and get a Game lands book. They're free and have excellant color maps. Also most of the area Wal marts have theirblue"Special Hunt opportunities" book that will tell you which places are permit only and which are open. About half of the Falls/Butner impoundments are permit only BUT, all the Jordan impoundments are open hunts.As far as the boat, I've had my best hunts just walking into some places even on the main lake.
Gopack
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting