Looking for Golden Retriever Stud

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Looking for Golden Retriever Stud

Postby imheathbar » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:36 am

I was just relocated from New York to Southern VA (Danville). I am looking for a Golden Retriever stud for my female for her next cycle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
imheathbar
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:52 pm

weller kennels has a nice one. You can look at wellerkennels.com
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:23 am

might help if you tell us what you are looking for. Hunting lines, field trial lines, or house dog lines. :umm:
Monroeduck
hunter

Hunting Dog

Postby imheathbar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 am

My dog started off as a house pet (I wasn't into duck hunting at the time) and turned out to be a great bird dog. She has really preformed on Ducks, Geese, and Pheasant (she is beautiful to watch when working a Pheasant). This will be her last litter (3rd) and I have the OK to keep a pup from the wife. Pedigree's and bloodlines aren't important to me. I would rather have a Great Hunter than a Great Bloodline. Her pups will be sold as houose pets. I do want the dog to be AKC Registered though.

Thank you.
imheathbar
hunter

Re: Hunting Dog

Postby Pot Hole » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am

imheathbar wrote:...This will be her last litter (3rd) and I have the OK to keep a pup from the wife. Pedigree's and bloodlines aren't important to me. I would rather have a Great Hunter than a Great Bloodline. Her pups will be sold as houose pets. I do want the dog to be AKC Registered though. Thank you.

I maybe totally misinterpreting what you said, but how can you say you want a great hunter, but not care about bloodlines? Are you keeping a pup to hunt or as a pet? If you want to keep a pup as a pet, then bloodlines are certainly not that important, but if you want a pup to (hopefully) turn into a future hunter, then good hunting bloodlines should be paramount in your stud search. You significantly decrease your chances of getting a good hunter out of a litter if the parents haven't got any field dogs in their lineage. If you don't believe me, ask any pro trainer. :cool:

I know where a very good golden stud resides in Frederick, MD if you are interested in adding the "hunting" genetics to your future pups pedigree.
Pot Hole
hunter

Bloodlines vs. Ability

Postby imheathbar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:12 am

I am looking for a dog with a working history (hunting). I will be keeping one from the litter for myself. The pups will be advertised as house pets. I am not a Professional trainer or breeder. I could care less how many feild trials or papers a dog has in their history, all I really care about is how well does it hunt. I cannot afford to pay for a premium stud and was hoping to find another working class hunter with an AKC Registered Male Golden that hunts. As much as I enjoy my duck hunting I do it on a very limited budget. My wife has been wonderful about my activities in this area, but the family comes first. I was anticipating being able to find some local hunters that would have a Male Golden that they would be willing to stud out, instead most of the feedback (private messages) have focused in AI or premium studs. While I can dream about heading in that direction, the financial reality is that that is not an option. I appreciate the help and information offered, but have not been successful in the search. Please do not take offense to this post, I am frustrated, and tend to be blunt. Once again, thank you for your time and suggestions.
imheathbar
hunter

Re: Bloodlines vs. Ability

Postby Pot Hole » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:10 am

imheathbar wrote:I am looking for a dog with a working history (hunting). I will be keeping one from the litter for myself. The pups will be advertised as house pets. I am not a Professional trainer or breeder. I could care less how many feild trials or papers a dog has in their history, all I really care about is how well does it hunt. I cannot afford to pay for a premium stud and was hoping to find another working class hunter with an AKC Registered Male Golden that hunts.....

Bear in mind, the money you receive from the sale of your puppies should easily allow you to afford a quality stud that is both genetically pure and has the working bloodline you desire, plus it should substantially increase the price you get for your puppies.

Settling for a genetically "unproven", but "great hunting" stud whose ancestry may be filled with dysplastic (and who knows what all else) predecessors sets you up for a huge headache when your puppies start coming back with genetic abnormalities. I'm continually amazed by folks that are content to save a few dollars so they can breed to a cheaper stud and then wonder why their puppies either don't perform as expected in the field or they turn up with genetic problems at an early age. Although you haven't said so, I certainly hope that your female has had her hips cleared by OFA and her eyes cleared by CERF before she is bred.

Unfortunately, I can be blunt too, but I have seen way too many folks take similar paths and then bring me their dogs in hopes that I can turn them into a "hunting dog". Many of these dogs end up as pets because they just don't have the ancestry to instill the qualiites necessary to make them a good retriever.

Good luck in your search.
Pot Hole
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting