layout boats

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

layout boats

Postby duckaholic2285 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:52 pm

I'm looking for a cheap layout boat or a cheap way to make one that can hold 2 people. I hunt mostly at the coast but I go to NC State and would also like to use it in the lakes around here.
Thanks
duckaholic2285
hunter

Postby Gopack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:46 pm

Well man not to bust your bubble but I've never seen a "cheap" layout. The few I've priced have been $1500 plus:and that's alot of money for a boat you can't put an engine on. You might want to check out the Fatboy made by Momarsh out of Mizzou I think. You can use it as a layout or put up to a 2.5 hp on it . I think it is around $800 if I'm not nmistaken.
Gopack
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 pm

I've got a FatboyDP and it's nice, but I don't think you could hunt two people out of it safely. It can fit up to about three grown men, but not shooting. Might look at somethingg like the Otter stealth I think it's called. You can get a popup blind for it and it looks like it can hunt two guys. Macks carries them.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Gopack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 pm

IS the Fatboy DP the one that kindda looks like an Aquapod?And can you put an engine on it?Also how easy is it to get in and out of(unfortunately, no dog)?
Gopack
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Yes, is has a more oblong figure than the origional fatboy. it is pretty easy to get in and out of if the water is waist deep or less. You can put up to a 5 or 6 HP engine on them with the removable transome (comes extra). There is plenty of room for a dog on the back part of the boat on the DP and if you get the cockpit blind there is room for the dog inside the blind.

You can see some pics and get more info at momarsh.com
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 am

just step up and do it right.

Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:34 am

Wow, that's an awesome looking rig Monroe. Unfortunaly, us boys up here in Raleigh have to work for a living and don't have alot of free time!! :mrgreen: Did you make that from plans, and if so where did you get them from?Again great looking rig.
Gopack
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:08 am

Gopack wrote:Wow, that's an awesome looking rig Monroe. Unfortunaly, us boys up here in Raleigh have to work for a living and don't have alot of free time!! :mrgreen: Did you make that from plans, and if so where did you get them from?Again great looking rig.

Me and MD went in together on that rig, its a UFO. I was looking at building us one, but considering the cost of materials and the fact that it would be taking up space in my shop when I could be working on a customer's boat we decided to go with the UFO. Its a sweet little layout and looking forward to hunting it this fall.

As for the original question. Are you looking for a true layout such as MD posted or more of a combination? If you're looking for a true layout and have some moderate building skills take a look at the marsh monster plans available on line. If you're looking for more of a combo type boat you can't go wrong the the momarsh fatboy or fatboy dp. Again, if you want to build something similar for a couple of hundred bucks take a look at the Kara Hummer plans. You can modify them to accept a small motor.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckaholic2285 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:24 am

I'm looking for something i can hunt big water on, but isnt to bulky to put in the marsh/harris lake. I have a war eagle to pull it behind so putting a motor on it isnt one of my concerns. I would enjoy making it espically if it cuts down on cost, and is simple enough.
duckaholic2285
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 am

A buddy of mine built a super nice one a few years ago. he spent a lot of nights working on it, but it will last.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 am

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

Here's a website that has some OLD boat plans on it. If you scroll down to the rowboats you'll see some boats that are "ducky".
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:21 am

duckaholic2285 wrote:I'm looking for something i can hunt big water on, but isnt to bulky to put in the marsh/harris lake. I have a war eagle to pull it behind so putting a motor on it isnt one of my concerns. I would enjoy making it espically if it cuts down on cost, and is simple enough.

You've got kind of a tall order. A one man is simple and not too heavy to tote into the marsh or out on Harris. However, once you get into building a 2 man you've got a pretty large/heavy boat. Think too that if you buy/build a 2 man you're going to need at least 3 people, 2 to hunt and one to tender. If I were you I would go with the 1 man and possibly build 2. Check out marsh-monster.com and also do a search for busick layout boats. The say the marsh monster is a copy of the busick but oh well. Also busick does have plans for a two man. You'll probably have roughly $500 in one you build yourself.

Ducker

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckaholic2285 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 am

i checked out that svenson website (link is above), I like the pintail alot, do u think that would work well in open water hunting divers. The more i look at them making a 2 man is gonna not be worth it. I'll start with one first that can hold me, and not sink...
duckaholic2285
hunter

Postby duckaholic2285 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:06 pm

i really like the looks of the Kara Hummer, looks fairly easy to build, and sturdy. Thanks
duckaholic2285
hunter

Postby Gopack » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Hey thanks for the link 'Ducker. I'll probably only use it on the Pungo/Pamlico River at the coast.I think forst though I'm gonna try to sneak a fatboy oast my wife, wish me luck!!
Gopack
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Gopack wrote:Hey thanks for the link 'Ducker. I'll probably only use it on the Pungo/Pamlico River at the coast.I think forst though I'm gonna try to sneak a fatboy oast my wife, wish me luck!!

Yeah I think I'm getting ready to order an original fatboy myself, talk about needing to sneak it past. Way too many boats gonna be in this household :salude:

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ncdecoys » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:02 pm

:spam: Two man layout boat for sale in hyde county need paint job phone 252-926-2008 thanks
ncdecoys
Newb

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:43 pm

ncdecoys wrote::spam: Two man layout boat for sale in hyde county need paint job phone 252-926-2008 thanks

Homebuild or factory, if factory what brand? A true layout...like a UFO or MLB?

Thanks,
Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting